Why become a member? ×

High Action

Hobbayne

3mm for me at the 12th. Any lower than that is too low for me, as I tend to clatter the strings like heard of stampeding water buffalo, especially when playing with the rock band. To be honest, even when I'm playing at home, and much more softly to jazz or funk, I prefer a decent amount of daylight under the strings, I guess it's just what you're used to.

• 3 years later...

3mm on my Peavey - I have had to put relief back into the neck because there's some definite uneven frets going on around 3-6 and it just chokes even with the bridge saddles at full height.
Now I have the saddles in the middle of their range, and only a touch of buzz when I play.

It does depend how you learned to play: I couldn't use my amp at any sort of volume for years as it would annoy flatmates etc. so I really dig in to make myself heard. If I had the action down at 2mm It'd be buzz city. I do like the clank though.

[size=5][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Hmm...millimetres? I have no idea. Mine are all 7/64ths at the E sting 12th fret and 6/64ths at the G string 12th fret. The rest is all, err, radius. :unsure:[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Edit: apparently 7/64th is [color=#666666]2.8 mm & 6/64th is 2.4 mm, so about half the height of the OP.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=5][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][color=#666666]Clank!![/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Sausages

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1341610305' post='1721927']

Ha, I'm another one that likes a crazy low action, however I just find it hard to play with speed, dexterity and subtlety no matter how low or high the action :lol:
[/quote]

I use to have the same issue until I started thinking about how execution comes into play.

How to hit every note and be clean

If your like me and play with a pick,understand all the up and down stroke patterns.

Developing the strength in your fretboard fingers needed to play fast clean and accurate.I got there from literally sitting down and practicing for hours on end.

Blue

Edited by blue