Why become a member? ×

High Action

Hobbayne

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1341135551' post='1714065']
He likes low action, but dead necks dont seem to bother him ;) ;) ;)
[/quote]

Who is "he"?

And I know you're not a Fender fan, but shush! There are a more people on here who love Fenders than don't.

Edited by Evil Undead

5mm is not unplayable for me, but its certainly not going to be enjoyable, a few songs at a jam night on the house bass would be OK. On the other hand I could manage a high action easier than a super low action, I used to fall into the unplayable camp on any of EBS freaks basses but he has raised up a bit over the years, sounds silly but I really did struggle to get a tune out of them. :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1341136050' post='1714074']
Who is "he"?

And I know you're not a Fender fan, but this one has no dead spots at all.
[/quote]

I did fix that for him! ;) Im presuming he is suggesting that a neck that needs a shim is shot, which is nonsense anyway.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341136202' post='1714079']
I did fix that for him! ;) Im presuming he is suggesting that a neck that needs a shim is shot, which is nonsense anyway.
[/quote]

I saw that just after I posted, thanks Pete!

Aye. When I got it the action was 2mm which isn't quite low enough for me and there was no room left in the saddle on the E. So I shimmed it. Sounds just as good now as it did before.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1341138424' post='1714117']
I saw that just after I posted, thanks Pete!

Aye. When I got it the action was 2mm which isn't quite low enough for me and there was no room left in the saddle on the E. So I shimmed it. Sounds just as good now as it did before.
[/quote]

Blimey! :blink: There must be more rattles than a skeletons disco! :happy:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1341135931' post='1714071']
E string 12th fret at 5mm sounds fine to me:

Lakland Decade = approx 3mm = very low, IMO
Fender Precision = approx 5mm = slightly low, IMO
Takamine B10 = approx 7mm = not low, IMO
Upright = approx 9mm = :o

"Couldn't play it 'cos the action was too high" sounds a bit wimpy.
[/quote]

Are you measuring bottom of the string to top of the fret? or the fingerboard?
7mm bottom of string to top of fret is... quite some action!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1341142100' post='1714191']
Are you measuring bottom of the string to top of the fret? or the fingerboard?
7mm bottom of string to top of fret is... quite some action!
[/quote]
From the fret in the cases of the Decade and Precision, which are fretted.

From the fingerboard in the cases of the Takamine and the upright, which have no frets.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1341143103' post='1714200']
From the fret in the cases of the Decade and Precision, which are fretted.

From the fingerboard in the cases of the Takamine and the upright, which have no frets.
[/quote]

ah, but you play upright... you can probably hammer a nail into the wall with your fingers and it'd feel fine to you :lol:

my basses vary, but they're generally 3mm-ish.

I used to have super low action on my old Geddy Lee which would play great at home but sometimes, if the room I was playing in was was warm, the neck would move slightly and some notes would end up choking. After playing some other bassists instruments, I realised that it isn't a crime to like a higher action and it does give you a clearer sound without fret rattle. 5 mm is a little high for comfort though and I recommend a little tweak of the truss rod to get the neck a little straighter and allow you to get your strings a bit lower by a mm or two.

Edited by gjones

As a noob, I want my basses to be [b]different[/b] first and foremost, from very low to very high action.
I don't want to train on just one technique, but from day one wanted to train my fingers on the differences. I wanna be able to pick up any bass and play it reasonably well. IME this is better than getting very good at one action only.

May I divert this thread for a second to ask what that wrong ruler thingie is called that one uses to measure the action? I ordered one locally, but it never arrived. Now I want to use the interwebs to order one.

I like the sound of the string hitting the frets when I pluck hard. it's part of my sound, so I like a lower action so that I don't have to play every note with maximum strength! I don't have it THAT low though because otherwise I'd get choking and rubbish sustain... It's probably about 4mm

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1341168710' post='1714650']
Just a thought,are we measuring from the finger board or the frets?
[/quote]

Hmm! I measured from the finger board in my OP, maybe my action is not that high after all? Just goes to show what a wimp my mate is! :happy:

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1341172136' post='1714730']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marlin-Bass-Guitar-/290735930588?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43b1363cdc#ht_500wt_922"]http://www.ebay.co.u...dc#ht_500wt_922[/url]

What do you reckon the action is like on that bad boy?
[/quote]

wow