Why become a member? ×

Markbass disappointment..............ok, but not great.

EmmettC

I had my first gig with my Markbass 2X10 combo tonight, and in some respects it was just as expected, but overall I feel a bit disappointed. It was loud enough, it's angled up so I get to hear it perfectly without being too loud, and most importantly it was small, and light enough to lift with one hand. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the tone, it just sounds very Mid-y, there's plenty of low end, and the highs were ok, but maybe lacking for some real brightness, but I just couldn't get rid of the honkyness.

The backstory.......my last amp was an SWR 350 workingmans head and 4x10 cab, it was great I had it for years and I replaced it with an EBS HD350 and a Pro-line 4x10, which is even better,in fact I don't think I've ever played through a better rig, ever. However, I joined a function band about 3 months ago, and the EBS rig is a bit too big, physically (the volume knob makes it the perfect amp for any occasion), and I and (more importantly) my band-mates were getting sick of lugging it in and out of venues 3 times week.

I decided I needed a small amp, preferably a combo so my band-mates couldn't forget the head if I wasn't around while the van was being loaded, but one loud enough for a decent size gig. I read everything I could, but, living in Edinburgh, I didn't actually try anything, and from what I read, I narrowed it down to a reidmar or a markbass. The Markbass won, by being cheap on ebay and being a combo, but I was wrong, so wrong.

The sound isn't bad, in fact one of the guitar players loved it, but I couldn't make my Stingray sound like itself, or at least how it sounds through an EBS and an SWR.

So....do EBS and SWR colour your sound in a way I like, or does the Markbass colour it in a way I don't, which is a truer representation of the sound of the Bass?

My MM SUB sounded great through everything. Whether it was my little Ashdown EB 150, my Fender TV15, Hartke Lh500 or even the crappy bass rig at whistlebinkies (whatever it was that night). So there must be something going on for your Markbass combo to sound so naff. The only amp that I disliked instantly was the TC electronic classic 450 I had for a short while. Other people love them I didn't. It may be a case of mutual incompatability with your Markbass and it's time to get yourself another amp.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1340928897' post='1711768']
Obviously i'm a big EBS fan, so if you've come from the HD350 i can't recommend the Reidmar enough. Thats exactly the transition i've made.
[/quote]

I definitely will go down the reidmar route once I've sold the Markbass, but luckily I still have the HD350 and Proline, I don't think I'll ever let that rig go.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1340929169' post='1711770']
It may be a case of mutual incompatability with your Markbass and it's time to get yourself another amp.
[/quote]

I think this is the case, but the Markbass does sound better than any amp I've use in Whistle Binkies.

Off Topic, I used a TC Electronic Combo at a Metaltech gig recently and it was awesome........horses for courses.

Funny aint it? The first thing I did when I got my large EBS rig years ago (HD650 2x12 4x10) was to get shot of the Stingray. I hated the sound of it. All hiss and fizz and no warmth, and that was with the tweeters almost off! I played through a Markbass amp belonging to a guy on this forum and thought to myself 'wow'! Thats exactly what I want to hear.

Just wondering, were you using the the VLE at all on the Markbass? I found that it dose a great job of taking away any of the hifi fizzy stuff.

If you found the sound too middy and lacking in top end like you say, try rolling the VLE right off and turning up the VPF, as this will cut the mids and boost the lows and highs.
I'm sure you've done all this, so maybe it's just the overall tone that doesn't sit with you. That or your brain telling your ears that such an ugly colour scheme has no rightful place in your life :-)

It's a pretty uncoloured combo. Try some of your other basses with it as some sound awesome through it & others not so (as may be your case).

Did you play about with the tone on your bass? Leaving it set for how you use it on the EBS might be part of the issue & playing with the filters could help too.

Stand the combo on it's end (sideways) rather than tipping it back.

I'd say it's probably the speakers, I tried quite a few amps with MarkBass cabs recently (it was just what they had handy at the store) and narrowed my choice down to MarkBass and Aguilar, then when I went to try those amps with other cabs, whoa, MB cabs are not very good at all! Very middy I found, like 'telephonic', and a bit wooly too, you may not notice on its own but once you compare to EBS or Vanderkley like I did, the difference is very obvious, no contest! The twitters are also very loud, fizy and noisy! The 210's are not TOO bad, but the 112's are just awful by comparison with the other brands. For that reason, I'd consider a MarkBass head, but never a combo!

As for heads, then I tried a Reidmar, AB'd it with the Little Mark III and the Aguilar TH500 and it blew the others out of the water, both in tone and volume. I've now ordered a Reidmar with two ClassicLine 112's, bought the cabs purely based on the awesome reviews they're getting when matched to this head, didn't get a chance to try them so fingers crossed! If I don't like them I'll just get a Vanderkley or EBS Neo (either 112 or 210) for the price of these two and then have to save some more to by the second cab :unsure: but if I like them, it's an unbeatable deal!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

I did evenyually get a sound I like, mostly using the East preamp on my bass, but it still wasn't a match for my EBS, which I leave almost flat on the bass and amp. It certainly isn't the worst sound, I guess I just like the EBS sound more.

Ilike the colour scheme,it matches my motorbike.

I never liked the sound of them - again, I think it comes down to the cabs more than the amp. OK, they get the job done but so does an Ashdown. They wouldn't be my first choice... and I never trust an amp that looks like a Tonka truck.

i`ve only ever used a Markbass amp at quiet volumes, and on its own, wasn`t that impressed. But, every time I`ve seen a bassist use one, in the mix, they`ve been great. I also find this with my Schroeder cab - not that good on its own, but with the band, it`s awesome.

Try standing way out front on a soundcheck with the Markbass - when you hear how it fits in the mix with the band, you may well just change your mind.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1340959740' post='1711955']
OK, they get the job done but so does an Ashdown.
[/quote]

There's an Ashdown in a rehearsal room I use and I prefer it to the Markbass, I just turn off the eq section of the amp and it works great.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1340960053' post='1711965']
i`ve only ever used a Markbass amp at quiet volumes, and on its own, wasn`t that impressed. But, every time I`ve seen a bassist use one, in the mix, they`ve been great. I also find this with my Schroeder cab - not that good on its own, but with the band, it`s awesome.

Try standing way out front on a soundcheck with the Markbass - when you hear how it fits in the mix with the band, you may well just change your mind.
[/quote]

Funnily the guitarist in the band, and the sound engineer both really liked it, I guess it's a personal taste thing too, but perhaps they heard something I didn't........damn those 10 foot leads

I found I never liked the sound of my Ray with my LMIII, I think it's a combination which just didn't work. My other basses sounded much better. Have you tried any other basses through the MB?

TBH, I think you'll probably need to spend a while "readjusting" to the tone of your new rig.

I was at a similiar point as you about 18 months ago when I got rid of my EBS HD350/Proline 410/Proline 115 rig for no other reason than I was getting cheesed off with the weight. Other than that, I'd been happy for years having done countless gigs with it. The TC rig I'd replaced it with sounded WAY different and for a while I felt I'd made a big mistake. I hadn't of course, I just needed a while to readjust to not hearing my tone as I'd heard it previously through the EBS rig.

From this, I'd seriously suggest you have a bit of patience and give it a few gigs with the new amp. Maybe it'll all pan out ok and you'll come to love your new Markbass.

If, like me, there's still a part of you than still craves that EBS tone but you want it without the weight, as it's been suggested, have a look at the Reidmar and perhaps get something lightweight cab wise. When I was looking to replace to the EBS cabs, I tried Markstuk's Barefaced Super 12 T in an A/B against the Proline 410 and I've gotta say, it was almost identical in terms of articulation, power and bottom end. And half the weight and size. A truly awesome cab.

T

Edited by tonyf

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1340960627' post='1711972']
I found I never liked the sound of my Ray with my LMIII, I think it's a combination which just didn't work. My other basses sounded much better. Have you tried any other basses through the MB?
[/quote]
I tried it with the Yamaha too, wasnt great either. I'll try the others with it today, but I really like my Ray, and it's my go-to gig bass, the amp will go before the bass. I'll try it with the rest of them today.

Edited by EmmettC

I have to admit I can't get a good sound out of the heads, but the cabs I love. I have a 410 and a 210, both sound great from my Aguilar AG 500 SC and I use a stingray to. Try using a different head through it if you can and hear what it sounds like. As others have suggested, try playing with the filter dials.

Markbass do seem to have a Marmite crowd. Good job I love Marmite then!

Dan

Sounds like you’re expecting the new amp to sound like the old one. That never happens. You’ve got to say goodbye to the old sound and work on getting the best sound out of the new amp.

If your sound is "honkey" then you've got too much mid dialled in. I found it difficult to dial the mids out of my Stingray which is why I went to Lakland.

I'd take your Precision to the next gig and see how that works. My LM2 was one of the best sounding amps I've had in the last 10 years, but I never used it with a Stingray.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1340960894' post='1711978']
TBH, I think you'll probably need to spend a while "readjusting" to the tone of your new rig.

I was at a similiar point as you about 18 months ago when I got rid of my EBS HD350/Proline 410/Proline 115 rig for no other reason than I was getting cheesed off with the weight. Other than that, I'd been happy for years having done countless gigs with it. The TC rig I'd replaced it with sounded WAY different and for a while I felt I'd made a big mistake. I hadn't of course, I just needed a while to readjust to not hearing my tone as I'd heard it previously through the EBS rig.

From this, I'd seriously suggest you have a bit of patience and give it a few gigs with the new amp. Maybe it'll all pan out ok and you'll come to love your new Markbass.
[/quote]

This makes sense.

My problem with markbass is they go loud enough but not in a way I can like. At low volume they are great. Before you give up on that combo make sure you understand how the filters work as they are key. Zero the main eq dials to 12 and then use the filters from 9-3 o clock and see if that works. My other prob is the cabs are less convincing but a lot of SWR users go markbass.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1340965410' post='1712081']
My problem with markbass is they go loud enough but not in a way I can like. At low volume they are great. Before you give up on that combo make sure you understand how the filters work as they are key. Zero the main eq dials to 12 and then use the filters from 9-3 o clock and see if that works. My other prob is the cabs are less convincing but a lot of SWR users go markbass.
[/quote]

I've been using SWR for 10 years and did like MarkBass (heads only). Really liked the filters, definitely set those first as they define the character of the head, so you can get 'your' character, then EQ. My only problems with them were I'm not a fan of Low Mid / High Mid EQ knobs (prefer 1 parametric band) and I couldn't get a focused sound on the lower frets of the E string, too boomy and undefined, and if I set the sound for it to be more defined, the higher notes would lack bottom. Maybe I'd learn to deal with this, but trying on the shop (1 cab only, 210 usually) that's the impression I got: undefined bottom and couldn't fix it. I prefer the Markbass tone to SWR as I think after 10 years I just got bored and want something new, but no such bottom problems with my 350x... I imagine with a B string the LM III would be awful.

Edited by 1976fenderhead