Why become a member? ×

Markbass disappointment..............ok, but not great.

EmmettC

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1340966254' post='1712094']
I'm a 10-year SWR user and did like MarkBass (heads only). Really liked the filters, definitely set those first as they define the character of the head, so you can get 'your' character, then EQ. My only problems with them were I'm not a fan of Low Mid / High Mid EQ knobs (prefer 1 parametric band) and I couldn't get a focused sound on the lower frets of the E string, too boomy and undefined, and if I set the sound for it to be more defined, the higher notes would lack bottom. Maybe I'd learn to deal with this, but trying on the shop (1 cab only, 210 usually) that's the impression I got: undefined bottom and couldn't fix it. I imagine with a B string it would be awful.
[/quote]

This probably explains it better than I did. I use the low B for quite a lot of the set, so using the Precision isn't an option really.

Must agree with the 'heads only' crowd. I love my LMIII but all of the markbass cabs I tried were just not right. Team it up with some Aguilar cabs and they're perfect IMO!

Edited by skej21

I've tried a few class D amp - markbass, EA i800, GK and I didn't like any of them really so eventually went back to an old Ashdown ABM. what makes the difference for me is the cab - I now use a Barefaced super twelve instead of a 4x10 and a 1x15 - I get all the volume, all the tone and can carry it all with one hand

i dont like the sound of any bass amps that are the same size as an ipod. they just dont cut it. If i were you, i would be looking for a smaller size cab so you can choose between the proline and another depending on venue / being arsed to lift it and keep using the HD350 with either. No point having a quality amp sitting around collecting dust.

im my opinion, a quality sound is worth using your muscles. Before we know it, every bass player will be a little weedy skinny dude with an ipod amp and a plastic bass as the proper pro gear is just too heavy waaa waaa.

Edited by longtimefred

Agree with all that's been said about the VLE and VPF filters. They are the main reason I use Markbass.

In fact I'm considering selling my LM and using a Markbass Super Booster (basically a pedal with just the VLE and VPF filters and a clean boost control) into a power amp. For more power - not because I don't like my LM in any way! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1340982162' post='1712428']
Before we know it, every bass player will be a little weedy skinny dude with an ipod amp and a plastic bass as the proper pro gear is just too heavy waaa waaa.
[/quote]

I'll have you know I was skinny and weedy way before I could afford my Markbass rig ;) I think my main bass weighing almost 20lbs makes up for it though!!

I spent today playing all my basses through both amps, and the Markbass is good, but it takes a lot of tweaking, and the EBS still blows it out of the water. I think I'll look at a few smaller cab options for the HD350, but I think the combo is still ideal to leave in the function band lock-up and use when the EBS is impractical. I'll still be using the EBS for my original band where "my sound" is more important anyway.

If anyone wants to swap me for an EBS combo though...........

Here is my view on this topic, a markbass amp and cab give you a very true representation of what your bass really sounds like, i realised this when I was in a recording studio a few years ago playing my parts from in the control room plugged straight in to the desk, my bass sounded very different than I was used to but in the final production it was just what the tracks needed and the band loved the result. I found it very difficult to recreate that sound live until I played through a markbass set up in my local music shop, I baught it there and then and have never looked back. If you want to hear your bass the way the manufacturer intended it to sound then this is the way forward.

I have to respectfully disagree, it definitely affects the sound of all my basses, even with the mids rolled off it makes all of them sound a little more honky than normal, that's not necessarily a bad thing and it helps them cut through in the mix, but it is there and it's definitely more noticable on the active basses, but it does colour the sound. The EBS affects the tone too, but that enhances the ultra-high end, which I like, each to their own.

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1340999514' post='1712796']
Here is my view on this topic, a markbass amp and cab give you a very true representation of what your bass really sounds like, i realised this when I was in a recording studio a few years ago playing my parts from in the control room plugged straight in to the desk, my bass sounded very different than I was used to but in the final production it was just what the tracks needed and the band loved the result. I found it very difficult to recreate that sound live until I played through a markbass set up in my local music shop, I baught it there and then and have never looked back. If you want to hear your bass the way the manufacturer intended it to sound then this is the way forward.
[/quote]
+1 to this.
I just chose an Epi cab because it's a nicer and more neutral sound (to my ears). I find the MB cabs too midrange sensitive...

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1340956270' post='1711883']
It took me a few gigs to get used to the transparency of these amps. Now i struggle with other amps that seem to colour the sound.
[/quote]

+1

I've not played through MB cabs very often.. but I do own an LMII and put it through one or two Bergantino 1x12 ER112s (depending on gig ) . Adore the sound. With everything flat (so that means vle and vpf set to 0) .. the LMII is "transparent".

Each bass I put through it sounds like you expect (Jazz, Rick, Precision, a double bass..) . I too find that if I put a bass through other heads, I hear the tone of the amp - e.g. GK, Trace, Ashdown. I do like the GK sound for a powerful tone.. but it does seem to override the inherent tone of the bass guitar you're putting through it.

I've got a friend who plays through the MB 2x10 combo angled up at him.. sounds fine to me in the audience at his gigs.

Horses for courses.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1341001656' post='1712830']
I have to respectfully disagree, it definitely affects the sound of all my basses, even with the mids rolled off it makes all of them sound a little more honky than normal, that's not necessarily a bad thing and it helps them cut through in the mix, but it is there and it's definitely more noticable on the active basses, but it does colour the sound. The EBS affects the tone too, but that enhances the ultra-high end, which I like, each to their own.
[/quote]

Have you tried running the MB head through a different cab.
I dont have much experience with their cabs but ive heard enough comments about them sounding a bit flat to think this might be a big part of the problem.
Saying that, i dont think the MB heads are known as sparkly heads.

Markbass woofers are made by B&C and are pretty high quality by bass cab standard (or at least used to be! I assume they're using the same units but could be wrong).
BUT doesn't the 210 also have a HF horn? Their reputation is less than stellar and any horn units crossed too low for their design or quality are notorious for 'honk'. If I were you, I'd try disconnecting the horn and any crossover, wiring the woofers direct to the input, and see what that does. It won't cost anything and might sort the sound out. If you prefer it without horn but want a bit more 'sparkle' you could alter the crossover - I wouldn't be surprised if the one in there was just a simple capacitor, substituting a different value cap and (if present) coil would let you bring it in only at higher frequencies and avoid much of the harshness.
If I'm wrong about it having a horn, ignore everything I've just said :P

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1341001656' post='1712830']
[/quote]

I play a lot using in Ear's and loads of times have just gone straight to desk, so will have to disagree with you. Markbass' output is very flat with a small bump on the low mids. Your basses are honky not the amp.
To someone who has used coloured amps forvever it'll be a horrible sound. Me, I want to hear what I sound like playing that bass, and Markbass are one of few that can does this for me.

Sat at the back of a room, through an audience the flat response makes more sense than a coloured mid-cut amp. Audible bass instead of low end rumble, boom and mush.

Knew it wouldn't be long before the Mark Bass "cognicenti" came out to play on this thread and told us that it is not Mark Bass that don't sound great. Aparrently it is our ears and our bass guitars that are at fault. Better go buy a Mark Bass rig and some new ears then.

Edited by The Dark Lord

Could be that the MB "cognoscenti" have enough experience with MB gear to give opinions, based on personal usage and not just preference or reading about it on web forums.

Using MB gear isn't for everyone (i'd never dream of using their cabs) but for those that have, and used other gear as well, i think their opinion is valid, especially when someone is asking for help.

MB heads are known for being pretty flat, or neutral sounding, certainly not a big tone changer like some heads, and ive found that while my MB heads haven't produced the best tones ive ever had, they do tend to produce the tone of my basses more faithfully, given the right cab.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1341145511' post='1714230']
Could be that the MB "cognoscenti" have enough experience with MB gear to give opinions, based on personal usage and not just preference or reading about it on web forums.

[/quote]

I don't mind opinions Dave, it's just that I have tried (I think) four different Mark Bass combos - all in rehearsal rooms - and have never liked one of them.

I've played through countless types of amps in such places. I have my favourites and my non-favourites.

For me, personally, I have never liked the sound out of Mark Bass combos.

I just object to people telling me it's my ears or my bass at fault and that I have been so biased by other amps colouring my sound that I don't appreciate or understand the transparency of them.

Edited by The Dark Lord

I totally understand you not likeing them, each to his/her own but i still agree with the others that say the MB gear tend to amplify the tone of the bass without too much colouration.

I guess some pieces of gear work better with other pieces and its that combination that will appeal to the individual.

I have owned 8 bass amps in 30 years. If I was made to choose one it would be my LMK Mark bass head. Plug n play good sound straight out of the bag. They let the harmonics breath and you need that presence cutting through in a gig environment. I really like my GK MB500 fusion which I got as a backup to the MB. Great for low volume jazz gigs, and I used it all last night with two different basses to get to know it more in louder band situations, I'm getting there but there are too many sounds variations to mess up if you need to change styles throughout the night. So ease of use I still give Mark Bass top slot. Not so keen on their Cabs don’t know why possibly built to size and look rather than physics.
My stock setting is finger style Bass = 12<1 Low Mid= cut 10<11 High Mid = 12 High = 12 VPF= scoop 9 VFE= off channel two for Disco Funk Bass= 12 Low mid = cut 10 High Mid= 12 high =12 VLP = scoop 11<12 or 1 oclock

I do think MB have too many product lines that will be their undoing.

The cabs are definitely more 'middy' than any others I've tried. With some basses it can have an unpleasant effect but in the mix it always works nicely. Still, I prefer to use a little VPF filter to smooth out the offending frequencies and I always like the sound before adding pedals to the mix.

BTW the piezo tweeters in the combos are different to the HF drivers in the standard series cabs. Many say they're fizzy and unmusical! I still turn mine to just above halfway anyways and it sounds great to me!

I must say the sound of MB heads through Ampeg, Ashdown, or other more organic sounding cabinets is much nicer (when soloed). But in a band mix that lush sound nearly always vanishes

I am not a fan of markbass for me... And I think a lot of guys use it as it is lighter, first and foremost, as their sound isn't convincing, IMO, but the best combos ... To my ears.. Have been markbass amps and someone else's cabs. Epi works if you can get past the pillow soft epi sound and I would agree gs112's sound like they would really compliment each other, IMO