Why become a member? ×

Which basses have you never played ?

far0n

What? How can anyone possibly list every bass they have never played :blink: Is it limited to models, or actual basses? I have played a Fender Jazz, but i have not played Flea's Fender Jazz...

Okay, i'll play along. I have never played any of the 'super jazz' basses; i have played nothing by Sadowsky, Lakland, Fodera, Sandburg etc. Never wanted to really either, maybe a slight desire to see why someone would want to pay so much for a bass a £100 chinese copy mimics well enough ;)

I have never played a Wal either, and am probably therefore guilty of GAS for a bass i have no idea whether or not id actually like to play...

I've never played an Alembic (or similar high end coffee table) and don't intend to. I think they are uglier than a bulldog licking piss off a stinging nettle and are way overpriced.

I'm just terrified that I might like it, and enter a world of gas. I love my cheap and cheerful p basses and get no complaints about the noises they make.

never tried heroin or fast cars either ;-)

I havent played most things but the ones I want to play are mainly custom instruments, ive never played anything custom so would be nice to see the difference.

I also haven't played a Stingray although that will change on Thursday when mine turns up. :D

I've not been playing long though so that's a good excuse I think.

Edited by jtwaring

Not every bass i havent played but one i want too is a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Rickenbacker! [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :)[/font][/color]

Never played a Wal, Dingwall, Rickenbacker or a Bongo. There are loads of other specific ones that I could spend all night naming but I've pretty much played most 'standard' types or brands that you can buy in a shop. Never played a custom/luthier built jobby either.

This is an honest list of the only basses I have EVER played......

My own:
Marlin Sidewinder
2eq Stingray
Epiphone El Capitan
Precision

Not mine/brief tinkers:
3eq Stingray belonging to a guy I knew
P copy - sat in with the band while on honeymoon in Belize
Blue Ric belonging to a guy I knew
Aria Pro 2 - Jazz jam night
5 string, a Polish brand i now forget - belongs to a bass player I know
Jaguar - a music shop
Ibanez - was lying around a studio

Pretty sure that's it!

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1339535943' post='1690284']
Ones I'd like to try but haven't yet: Warwick thumb
[/quote]

yeah good call, I've played one years back but wouldn't mind owning one sometime. I'm going to talk more about what I would like to own for a bit rather than basses I've no interest in...
wouldn't mind trying Overwater
ACG (though going to get one of his preamps for the streamer as the cheaper option)
Stingray
I'ld like a shot on a Yamaha TRB to see what the fuss is about,
a good jazz bass, maybe combine that with the overwater to make it an overwater jazz... or probably a PJ, but a jazz with a P pup not a P with a J pup...

No interest however in....
rickenbacker

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1339539655' post='1690392']
There are loads, but the ones I'm keenest to try are Wal, Alembic and a Peavey T-40.
[/quote]
I think every bass player HAS to try a T40 once in his or her life. If I only had one bass till I died and it was a T40 I would die happy. Possibly of a hideous back injury but a great bass to try.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339540231' post='1690404']
I think every bass player HAS to try a T40 once in his or her life. If I only had one bass till I died and it was a T40 I would die happy. Possibly of a hideous back injury but a great bass to try.
[/quote]It is on [i]the list[/i] ;)

The problem is, over here, selection is somewhat limited so a lot of the time, in order to try something, it's quicker to buy one online :lol:

Edited by Doctor J

Rick for me too, not sure why I've never played one, I suppose they're not really that common, always been expensive and no-one I've known has had one. Would love to spend some time with one.

I'd be terrified I'd like it enough to be my no.1.

Just look. Designed in the '50s doncha know. 'Mazing.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobenis/4393017812/"]http://www.flickr.co...nis/4393017812/[/url]

and

[attachment=110287:Rick.jpg]

Edited by 4 Strings

thing is apart from a few things I've always wanted to try (and have).... T40, jazz, etc... I've got great basses and find it's far better just to play the things than go window shopping. Most the audience can't tell anyway. I've prob had, I dunno two dozen basses come and go now, the ones that stand out are the T40, the Streamer I have now, the Cimar Jazz and an old Aria fretless I traded with Rasta. The JV is a bit special too.
Now of the 5, 3 of them cost under £150 ish. Some of the basses that cost £2000 or so new came and went with little more than a shrug.
The wick is a keeper, and the JV is too. At some point I'll get too worried about damaging it and move the JV on and buy something else, but meh, it'll probably be another P bass or a jazz or something.
Better just to play the things

I've played very little basses in all honesty. I've never really had the opportunity to play many. It's easier to list what I have played.

Musician stingray 4
Ibanez (various of the SR models)
Warwick Corvette $$

I really want to try a Warwick thumb but Ive got no way of trying one sadly