Why become a member? ×

Where to lean/put your bass at a gig?

stefBclef

I have one of those Planet Waves rubber guitar holder thingies. I use it every gig and its brilliant, totally secure. But it has to be used at a suitable height: on a Barefaced Compact in my case. A big stack wouldnt be so ideal.

Cheers

Geoff

Hercules mini fold up stand thing all the way for me. They fit in my bag of gig stuff, it's no hardship to bring one along. If I ever forgot it, I would put the bass back in its case/bag and put it somewhere safe. There's no way I'd rely upon leaning it up against an amp or whatever.

Last gig I had two stands on me accidentally. Pure luck and just as well - our guitarist had forgotten one of his stands. I'm not doing much to smash the stereotype of the bass player being the all round useful guy then... :)

The 'Pub Prop'. [url="http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/details1.asp/ProductID/4126/sid/230/name"]http://www.eaglemusi...26/sid/230/name[/url]

Clamps to table top - not to the amp. About a tenner. Never used one.

(Edit for: Whoops, V Smith beat me to it. :) )

Edited by skankdelvar

I really struggle to find a stand that works for me, these small ones (hercules, cooper) are great for a Precision because it is symmetrical at the bottom (when standing) but I play Jazz basses and its quite a balancing act to get the thing to stay upright. one of these days its going to lean over too far!

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1338219781' post='1671002']
I always carry a small towel. About half the size of a tea towel to wipe my hands and clean the strings.
I feed it through the handle on the side of the cab & tie it round the bass neck. Works great, very secure & no need to carry a stand.
[/quote]

Now there's a man who thinks ahead :)

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1338303939' post='1672418']
I try to remember a stand. If not I either prop my bass (strings against) on my cab, or at gigs where I think this is too risky, I put it back the case, [b][i]lid unlatched.[/i][/b]
[/quote]

Thats only ok till some prat decides to move it, and picks the case up by the handle surely..

Having spent years farkling about with various stands that fell over or fell to bits when someone looked at it the wrong way, I recently purchased a Tiger 3 guitar stand from DJM Music for £17.00 (via e-Bay). It's brilliant and great! It has a small footprint and the basses are very stable on it. Now all I need to do is work out how to fit a bracket to hang my Ashbory Mk2 bass on it.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1340213814' post='1701232']
I dont do it myself, I prefer the jaunty 'lean it casually againts me amp' style.
But how come nobody has replied that they just lie it on top of their amp ?
[/quote]

I lay it on top once, but it was a stupid thing to to. The top of the amp was somewhat contoured, making it rather to easy for the bass to slip off. Also the neck of the bass hung over into the small passage between the drums and bass amp and the dj was playing very loud, bass heavy music for a few hours before our set. It was a miracle the guitar stayed on till we played.

I then came home and started this thread!

Being silly in my youth, I rarely brought a stand or put it back in the case (maybe I wasn't so silly)

Now I always carry my Hercules stand with me and always make room for it, pub gigs and all.

After seeing that planet waves rest, it will definitely go into the gig bag, if I have to return to certain, minuscule venues :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1338226916' post='1671167']
What colour towel should I use?

Which is better - cotton or acrylic?

Is a [i]motif [/i]of blue fishes blowing bubbles acceptable for a covers band?
[/quote]

I would recommend one of the towels that have been improved by M D Phillips :)

• 2 weeks later...

In the case before/after playing but when I'm setting up and have to put it down, I rest it strings facing my rack case and lean towards the non jack side with the neck against one of the bits that sticks out on my head. Failing that I just lean it flat and forward towards the cab/head. Strings down, it rarely falls over. It's funny when people put the guitars neck, the smooth, slippy part, against the amp. Guarenteed to slide over at the slightest disruption!

Anyway, this is the exact reason I bought a cheap bass and am looking at second hand Fenders/Stingrays that already have knocks in them. I jump around a lot on stage as it is so a few dents I'm not bothered about.

The Planet Waves thing is clever, I like that.

This:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Value-Guitar-Stand-For-6-String-or-Bass-Folds-Up-Small-/310138457604?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4835b14e04"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Value-Guitar-Stand-For-6-String-or-Bass-Folds-Up-Small-/310138457604?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4835b14e04[/url]

Cheap as chips and works a treat.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1338219623' post='1670995']
If there are other bands I put my bass back in its case and out of the way of others. If we're the only band I put it on a mini Hercules stand, out of the way of others.
[/quote]

Same as this

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1338225358' post='1671128']
I play a status that has two strap buttons on the bottom so it will stand up on it's own if leant agains a wall or amp. However I secure mine so the side handle on my Aggie 112 with a velcro cable tie
[/quote]

+1 on this, just buy a headless Status and all your problems are solved ;)