Why become a member? ×

Where to lean/put your bass at a gig?

stefBclef

You've soundchecked and now its time to drink some free beer. But first you need to find a secure place to put your bass for the next few hours...

Obviously, a guitar stand would be the best solution. However, I am thinking about those times when you don't have a proper stand to hand.

I once saw someone who had a small piece of rubber, designed to sit on the top of an amp, and it had, jutting out, a nice curved notch to rest your guitar's neck in. I can't seem to find anything like this online, and it wouldn't work for rigs that are taller than the nut.

It got me thinking, perhaps there is some clever sneaky way that some clever sneaky bass chatter knows about.

Before now, I have been either:

-leaning the bass on the amp but leaning it to one side so that it leans (ever so slightly) on the jack - not ideal at all!

-at the last gig I actually lay my bass on top of the amp as there was no decent leaning oppurtunity. This was also far from ideal as it could have fallen off quite easily given the contours of the amp top combined with the loud bass heavy music that the DJ was playing and the drummer fiddling with his kit...

So, I am looking for tips on how to create a good lean spot for your bass, either on a wall or amp or anything else you're likely to find on stage.

OR

If anyone can recommend a super small foldaway guitar stand.

Many thanks everybody.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1338220257' post='1671009']
markbass do a velcro one that sticks to your cab (if it's carpet covered of course) an dI've seen one that clips onto a table before too...
[/quote]

I have a Markbass one which velcros around your cab handle then around your bass/guitar neck (it doesn't vecro to you cab) - if that's what you mean... I always forget to take it with me though. :D

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1338219781' post='1671002']
I always carry a small towel. About half the size of a tea towel to wipe my hands and clean the strings.
I feed it through the handle on the side of the cab & tie it round the bass neck. Works great, very secure & no need to carry a stand.
[/quote]

I love it! Thanks.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1338219667' post='1670998']
Like this one?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvAJFmfkh1k[/media]
[/quote]

Yes thats the exact one! It works so well if the surface is the right height, but I feel the majority of rigs are too tall.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1338220879' post='1671023']
I have a Markbass one which velcros around your cab handle then around your bass/guitar neck (it doesn't vecro to you cab) - if that's what you mean... I always forget to take it with me though. :D
[/quote]

yeah that one, I haven't got one but I've seen them and thought they looked cool, not much use if they're always left at home though...back to square one on the op then! :rolleyes:

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1338219781' post='1671002']
I always carry a small towel. About half the size of a tea towel to wipe my hands and clean the strings.
I feed it through the handle on the side of the cab & tie it round the bass neck. Works great, very secure & no need to carry a stand.
[/quote]
Win, on the grounds that it`s totally Adamsian and I approve.

[quote name='stefBclef' timestamp='1338221790' post='1671045']

I love it! Thanks.
[/quote]

It's such a great system. It sounds a bit dodgy but the towel never loosens off so the bass is really secure. The neck is resting against the loop of the towel so it doesn't get marked. I've been doing it for 8 years full time and never had a problem.

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1338225927' post='1671148']
It's such a great system. It sounds a bit dodgy but the towel never loosens off so the bass is really secure. The neck is resting against the loop of the towel so it doesn't get marked. I've been doing it for 8 years full time and never had a problem.
[/quote]

Yeh it sounds perfect. That's one I can cross of my list of "Gig problems/queries" so thanks!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1338219623' post='1670995']
If there are other bands I put my bass back in its case and out of the way of others. If we're the only band I put it on a mini Hercules stand, out of the way of others.
[/quote]
This. I tend to put my basses behind my amp. Even less likely to get bumped into on a busy stage.

The towel idea is great though.

My mate and guitarist for Hellfire has designed this [url="http://www.axcradle.co.uk/"]http://www.axcradle.co.uk/[/url] and is trying to get it up and running. He uses it everywhere. It's obviously only suitable if you've got a large cab for it to keep your Bass off the floor.

Though I have not really ever used it, I have a Pub Prop from a magazine subscription years back. I did a quick search and found this..

[url="http://home.btclick.com/briarmill/Pub%20Prop.htm"]http://home.btclick.com/briarmill/Pub%20Prop.htm[/url]

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1338294929' post='1672233']
Though I have not really ever used it, I have a Pub Prop from a magazine subscription years back. I did a quick search and found this..

[url="http://home.btclick.com/briarmill/Pub%20Prop.htm"]http://home.btclick..../Pub%20Prop.htm[/url]
[/quote]

That's pretty cool. Although I don't think it would attach to most amps/cabs. Plus I have already handpicked my old teatowel which I will be using to tie my bass to the cabs' side handle thanks to the earlier tip in this thread! If only all problems could be solved that easily!

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1338221499' post='1671041']
They go back in their cases after soundcheck, when we're playing I use the same Hercules stands I use at home.
[/quote]

This ^

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1338219623' post='1670995']
If there are other bands I put my bass back in its case and out of the way of others. If we're the only band I put it on a mini Hercules stand, out of the way of others.[/quote]

I do these things too (although mine's one of those Giraffe mini folding stands).

yep. its all about popping it in the case until you are on (unsually somewhere out of the way of the amps and cables and in clear sight of the audience (where you will likely be standing when not playing). I use the little hercules stand when I am on, just incase, but it is usually too cramped for it to be of any use.