Why become a member? ×

Songs you wish you played live but have never done

Chrismanbass

Hey guys so i'm depping for a function band in a month or so and i was browsing through the setlist today. Mostly standard stuff however

i get to the encores section and there i see written "The Boys are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy" which for me is a complete result for me as i

love the song and i've always wanted to play it live however none of the bands i've ever been in have done it (be that due to the band

not being good enough or not the right style ect) This started me thinking are there any other songs be them popular or not that you

wish you played live but have never done?

chris

Blockbuster, I reckon it would make a great opener or closer.

Werewolves of London, but never managed to find anybody who would sing it.

and this. Although I have played it years ago.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzgDz04bv38"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzgDz04bv38[/url]

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1338043438' post='1668955']
I've always wanted to play Happy by Mudvayne live. The bassline in that song has always been the epitome of excellence in my opinion but the only band I've been in that was that style were all focusing on playing originals live rather than covers. One day!
[/quote]

God I love Mudvayne. I listened to Lost and Found the other day and I hated it when it came out but it's actually really good. 'IMN' is a real cracker! But yeah 'Dig' and 'Silenced' would also be good fun!

I would love to do some Elbow, My Morning Jacket or NIN but none of my bands have ever really fitted the style :( one day, when they're classics!

Truckstop

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1338042989' post='1668946']
Hey guys so i'm depping for a function band in a month or so and i was browsing through the setlist today. Mostly standard stuff however

i get to the encores section and there i see written "The Boys are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy" which for me is a complete result for me as i

love the song and i've always wanted to play it live however none of the bands i've ever been in have done it (be that due to the band

not being good enough or not the right style ect) This started me thinking are there any other songs be them popular or not that you

wish you played live but have never done?

chris
[/quote]

Played this in the Key of A for 20 years, in the last five years I've been in two bands who play it in G and one that plays it in Ab! A hard one to nail the exact feel, but good fun for a stamina workout on the octave skips behind the twin guitar melody.

Edited by arthurhenry

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1338051616' post='1669061']
I've always wanted to play Mustang Sally, but none of the bands I've been in would do it. In fact, when I mentioned the possibility I was the victim of a torrent of abuse :(
[/quote]

I used to get that with Brown Eted Girl and Akight Now....

Not..... :blush:

Looking down this list, I get one point... used to play "Moonage Daydream". Nobody knew what the hell it was though.

It's probably my age but I've always had a hankering for playing 70s prog stuff as they generally have very musical basslines. There's not a lot of demand though :)

"Toughest Street in town" - Thin Lizzy
"Up Against the wall" - Tom Robinson band
"over the hills with the swords of a thousand Men" - Tenpole Tudor
"Hersham Boys" - Sham69
"Mr Jones" - Counting Crows (actually used to cover "Angels of the Silences" with the old band)

Just for starters...

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1338059323' post='1669185']
Posted earlier but wouldn't mind playing a few Primus, Tool or Mr Bungle tunes live! Don't know people with enough gear for Tool songs (I know I don't). And don't know people with the ability to play Primus or Mr Bungle tunes...gutted, they'd be fun to play to a crowd
[/quote]

+1 on all of them.
I'm flabbergasted Mr Bungle would even come up in this topic, but earlier today I played Disco Volante and was thinking about trying to play some of that stuff when I grow up.

best,
bert

Well, I've always been a metal head , but never played enter sandman.
Song I always wanted to do for novelty value, Rivers of Babylon. By boney m .
I got a lot of abuse , and ridicule when I suggested it.

Strange thing is , Mr. Drums started learning it. When he was put off by other band members in my last band.

Oh well),

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1338096984' post='1669498']
Song I always wanted to do for novelty value, Rivers of Babylon. By boney m .
I got a lot of abuse , and ridicule when I suggested it.

Strange thing is , Mr. Drums started learning it. When he was put off by other band members in my last band.

Oh well),
[/quote]

Just say you're covering the Jimmy Cliff version - credibility problems instantly solved.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1338043363' post='1668954']
I would love to do some "Steely Dan" songs live. Songs like "Peg", "Haitian Divorce", and "Rikki Dont Lose That Number" for example.

It would be a tough task to fill Mr Rainey's shoes though. ;)
[/quote]

+1 - love playing along to Night by Night and The Fez at home - be great to do live.

I'd love to play Anchor by Cave In, just a great, straight-up rock song; but I can't see it being very well known by most pub / club audiences and we all know how fickle people can be about dancing to songs they don't know