Why become a member? ×

Bases with more than 4 strings

tall_martin

Hi,

I've curious- If you have a 5,6, 7 or more string bass- what do you use it for?

I my band (2 guitars, keys, bass, drums 1-3 singers) anything higher than half way up the fret board gets lost in the mix. I use an octaver one octave below, but my amps always sound unhapy with open E and an octaver through them at anything like practice volume.

I've seen some chepish (£300ish) 6 and 7 string basses on ebay from germany and I like the idea but I've no idea what I'd use the extra strings for.

So 4 strings are perfect for me, why are extra high strings perfect for you? Do you play melody lines on them? Solo?

What do you use the lower strings for, and on a 7 string do they normlay come strung with one or two strings below the E?

Its these two that have me curious. The 7 looks like one string below the E- same as the 6.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HK-7-string-bass-guitar-fretless-masurpop-ash-top-/330718487007?pt=Bassi&hash=item4d005ba1df"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HK-7-string-bass-guitar-fretless-masurpop-ash-top-/330718487007?pt=Bassi&hash=item4d005ba1df[/url]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HK-6-string-bass-guitar-Custom-Series-masurpop-ash-top-/330725319522?pt=FR_YO_InstrumentsMusique_Guitares&hash=item4d00c3e362"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HK-6-string-bass-guitar-Custom-Series-masurpop-ash-top-/330725319522?pt=FR_YO_InstrumentsMusique_Guitares&hash=item4d00c3e362[/url]

Cheers

Martin

A friend of mine told me about a Punk Bassist he knew who had a bass with only 2 strings - both tuned to "E" - when asked why, he said "in case the top one breaks..!!"

It's down to the style you play I suppose..

Because I've been playing 5-string basses for well over 20 years, I'm much more used to the necks and now find them more comfortable than the standard 4-string bass.

My 5-strings are all tuned to standard B-E-A-D-G. Before getting my first 5-string I was playing synth and was used to being able to go down to C for my bass lines so when I started playing bass it made sense to have an instrument that could cover all the notes that my keyboards could. I have experimented with strings higher than G but personally I didn't like the tone and if I want to play that high I'll use a guitar instead.

Even if the low B doesn't get much use (and TBH I probably don't play the G any more often) it's always there when I need it. Using higher and lower notes is all about arrangement within the band - making sure that if you're playing higher up you don't clash with the guitar part and the keys are covering the lower notes, and then when you go back to the standard bass octaves and down to B the keyboards are giving you the sonic space you need. IME most bands can't do this which is why bass players keep going back to 4 string basses.

Strangely enough my current band, which is probably the conventional musically that I've been in utilises more low notes (below open E) then any other. It's all about arrangement and what keys you write in.

Also I've found that you need to spend a reasonable amount of money to get a 5-string with a decent sounding B string. I only have one 5-string in regular use that costs under £1000. It's all about good neck construction and that costs money.

Edited by BigRedX

Five strings are handy - the lower notes are useful and the B string itself has an interesting sound to it. Six strings can also be handy because it means you don't have to change hand positions so much when you're playing too many notes and annoying everybody else in your band.

When you've annoyed them enough with the 6-string and they've fired you, that's when the 7 (or more) -string bass really shines: You can use it to upload videos of yourself in your bedroom two-handed tapping pieces of music that would sound much nicer on a piano.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1335963485' post='1638672']
......When you've annoyed them enough with the 6-string and they've fired you, that's when the 7 (or more) -string bass really shines: You can use it to upload videos of yourself in your bedroom two-handed tapping pieces of music that would sound much nicer on a piano.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

I've always been a 4 string player, but I do venture up the neck quite a lot & 2 of our songs I actually play the top G (24th fret on G).
I also use an octaver & recently found myself using notes below what the open E would be (mainly C & D) so I think a 6 string would be to my advantage.
It would allow me to get the higher notes with less movement & also to play those lower notes on songs that I don't want the bass to sound synth like.

My band is a "folk"' band (the word "folk" being used verrrry loosely!) with a singer/guitarist & a mandolinist/whistle player, so I'll play a lot of melodies on parts that don't warrant a bassline.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1335963485' post='1638672']

When you've annoyed them enough with the 6-string and they've fired you, that's when the 7 (or more) -string bass really shines: You can use it to upload videos of yourself in your bedroom two-handed tapping pieces of music that would sound much nicer on a piano.
[/quote]

This has to win the award for best ERB post ever :lol:

Tools for the job. If I were in a band that needed more than 4 strings, I`d get a bass that suited. In reality, I don`t really even need 4 strings - though do use the G every now and again so it doesn`t feel left out. I prefer to go higher on the frets of the A & D, as the notes are thicker and less trebly.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1336045534' post='1639925']
I don`t really even need 4 strings - though do use the G every now and again so it doesn`t feel left out. I prefer to go higher on the frets of the A & D, as the notes are thicker and less trebly.
[/quote]

This. It's all about picking the notes not only with the right pitches but also with the most appropriate tone.

3 usable and 3 spares on my 6 string. :lol:

Seriously i only recently tried 6 string from 30 of 4 stringers and found i could do more with the bass from a personal point of view. It gave me more options.
It was a 50th birthday present and i wanted to challenge myself a bit more so went the whole hog and made it a fretless too.
I don't use in my current band but i do play it a lot at home and occasional jam session for fun.

Dave

I'm slightly happier on a 5 string than I am on a 4. I don't use the low B much but it comes in handy sometimes.

I've got a couple of 6 stringers too thinking I'd maybe get a few new chord voicings or do something interesting with the extra harmonics but I never have. I just don't use the extra string so I'll probably get rid of them soon.

[quote name='tall_martin' timestamp='1336045216' post='1639916'] Any one got any links for tunes that people play with loads of strings basses? I've heard that Jean Baudin super mario stuff done with an 11 string bass which was super, but would have been just as good with a piano/ keyboard. [/quote]

Done on a 4 stringer, but a good reason to need an extra string higher. Please excuse some dodgy mandolin playing, she's new to the song.

http://soundcloud.com/bassg/my-old-friends

Having just started playing on a 5er Ive found its main advantage is you can go across the board instead of going up and down so much which is a shorter distance. The extra 5 notes are an added bonus if needed.

A

I've played 5 strings for a few years no and love them. When I get my hands on a 4 string now it just feels like there's something missing. I don't overuse the notes below bottom E. I find the odd low D, C, open B when dropped in appropriately can really expand the sound of a bassline and have a real impact without being overpowering. If you use them all the time they just lose the impact and get a bit meaningless. I also use the B string a lot further up the neck and love the fat sound you can get playing notes between frets 5 and 12. In the right musical setting they work really nicely and fill the sound much more than the same notes played on the strings below. I also like how there are always lower notes to hand when playing higher than fret 5.

I don't have any desire for more strings. Anything higher than a G wouldn't be a lot of use to me. I'm not a virtuoso two handed tapping type. Bass is what it's all about and anything higher than a G is getting further away from bass.

In short, for me it's about the added flexibility and fatness of tone.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1336046463' post='1639951']
This. It's all about picking the notes not only with the right pitches but also with the most appropriate tone.
[/quote]

Agreed. I often find I prefer higher up the neck on a lower string just in terms of the tone it gives me.

My band plays in a stupid drop tuning, drop A# or something to that effect. I detest drop tuning so I make good use of my numerous strings and tune my fiver half a step down. Makes songwriting more of a challenge, ergo a more fun when I nail it. Also, I don't think I could physically fit the stuff I play on a 4 string unless I drop tune it. Which really isn't an option for me. I have a 6 which I used for a while, then switched back to the 5 because it sounded nicer and the stuff I wrote on the 6 I could play on the 5, albeit at a stretch.

If I have a 5 string and only need to use 4 (or less) strings, I can. If I have a 4 string and need to use 5 strings, I'm screwed. In my band, the guitarist sometimes drops down to D (and I go even lower sometimes) so I need a 5 string on some songs.

Obviously if you only need 2 strings, then a 5th string is wasted. If you need an 8 string, then a 5er won't be enough.

Basses are tools, you wouldnt use a screwdriver to drill a hole, get the one that's suited to what you're doing.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1336123467' post='1641146']
you wouldnt use a screwdriver to drill a hole
[/quote]

heh, I genuinely did all over my first flat 15 years ago, screwdriver bashed into the wall with the flat of a pair of pliers to put shelves up. Worked mind you, but not recommended.
:)