Why become a member? ×

Your Basses - What do you love/hate about them?

Linus27

I have a few basses and they are all so different. I love them all but they all have something that bugs me about them. This is what I love and hate about them all.

[b]Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 2EQ 2008 in Teal Green and Maple Neck - [/b]Ok, this was always my dream bass and they are superb. The neck is probably the nicest neck I have played and the one I feel the most comfortable with. It also has great tone, especially now I have worked out the best way to use the pre-amp. Recorded it also sound amazing with the true Stingray tone cutting through beautifully. I have some recordings which I did with it and the bass tone has so much personality. However, the thing that bugs me is live I can never get a tone I am happy with. Its either too thin, clunky or just lost where as a Precision or Jazz fills the bottom end perfectly. I have always lacked confidence in taking this bass live. The other small thing that bugs me is I like pickups in the middle to rest my thumb on but the Stingray is further back so a little un-natural for me to play.

[b]Fender Precision MIA 2008 in Olympic White and Rosewood Board [/b]- This is my main workhorse to date and feels great. The neck is not chunky either although not as skinny as a Jazz but not chunky like a typical Precision. It also sounds great and has never let me down. I would not say there is anything I hate about it but compared to a lot of other basses, it can be a bit flat or have no personality. The scratch plate needed changing from tort to black for that punk look. The Precision is a Golf. Goes like a Golf, sounds like a Golf and is reliable like a Golf but it aint no Ferrari.

[b]Fender Jazz MIA 2011 in Olympic White with Rosewood Board[/b] - Great bass with a lovely neck and is really nicely balanced. When I pull it in close to my body, it just sits so well and feels perfect. But, this bass is nothing special. When I play it, it does nothing for me. It sounds ok but after hearing lots of great Jazz basses over the years it sounds lifeless and dull. What really brought it home was when I recorded an album, I knew which tracks would suit a Precision for a thumpy motown tone and what would suit a more detailed honky, funky Jazz tone. However, listening back, there really is not a lot in it although the Precision sounds like a Precision and the Jazz just sounds like a non descript bass tone. I may upgrade the pickups to some vintage Fender ones to see if that puts a bit of character in it. Oh and the tort plate. I hate tort plates and need to change it to black.

[b]Warwick Streamer LX4 2012 in Natural Oil [/b]- Oh boy, what a bass. Totally stunning looking, wonderful neck, very jazz like and that Warwick earthy wood tone is just amazing. This bass is my Mona Lisa, my Ferrari Enzo, my crown jewels. I have been recording some funky jazz over the last few weeks and the tone is unreal. Where I say the Precision tone is reliable but lacks personality, the Streamer is oozing rich tones. Even my wife commented on how great it sounds. If the Precision sounds like a Golf, then the Warwick sounds like a growling Aston Martin. However, it is not without fault. The first thing that really bugs me is the dots on the top of the neck. Warwick have put these new glow in the dark dots which are quite cool but pale greenish and in normal light can be hard to see so its easy to get a little lost. Oh and if you roll the balance back to the single jazz bridge pickup, the output really drops.

[b]Warwick Streamer Jazzman Fretless 2006 in Natural Oil[/b] - What a beautiful looking bass with lots of tones. It has the chunkier neck Warwick's were producing at the time but to be honest, its not that chunky. In fact it feels very nice, deep but narrow I guess. It is also so easy to play fretless with the spacing being perfect and suits me down to a tee. Also, a nice addition having a dot on the first fret helps to keep that fretting accurate. However, as a fretless it is so flat. Hardly any mwah, especially higher up the fretboard and lacks real sustain. It even sounds fretted at times. I am really torn with this bass as it looks stunning but as a fretless it does not blow me away. Not sure what to do with it to be honest.

[b]ESP 400 Series Jazz Fretless 1998 in Black[/b] [b]with Rosewood Board[/b] - My old workhorse that has done hundreds of gigs and recording sessions and has never let me down. Everything about this bass is perfect apart from it came with a white scratchplate so I changed it to black. I also changed the pickups to Bartolinis and the tone is unreal with lots of growl and honk. It also has a bit of a fretless tone to it and so I got John Shuker to make an exact copy of the neck but fretless and now the bass sounds even better. The only thing that bugs me about it is the output from the pickups is so very low, probably about 30% lower than any other passive bass.

So, what about your basses, what do you love and hate about them?

Edited by Linus27

Fretless Warwick Corvette - I love the way it looks and the way it plays, I've played many many fretlesses and this has to be by far the best (apart from the GMR I played down at LBGS). The John East 3 band EQ gives so much flexibility, if I'm gigging where the EUB isn't practical, no problemo, just take the fretless. It looks absolutely fantastic under any form of performance lighting or sunlight, and it cost me £500 all in. Bargain! Downfalls? Well especially in it's leather gig bag it weighs a tonne and a half, and first fret position feels like it's miles away.

Fretted Warwick Corvette - Pretty much same as above, got the same East preamp bar the mid control, but due to the way it's set up, it doesn't really need it. It's marginally lighter than the fretless, and with it's honey violin finish and gold hardware, what's essentially a bland colour looks absolutely fantastic. Again, cost me £500 and I've not really played many basses that makes me want to get rid of it. Downfalls of it are again first fret is miles away, and due to the way it generally sits, slapping properly can be quite a challenge on the wrist. But for the way it looks and sounds, I'm happy to compromise as I don't slap all to often anyway. It's my main go to bass.

'The 6' - Tricky one this, I bought it as a punt, didn't really know what it is, I just knew that Howard (the bass doc) is a good builder, and Jim Cairnes was a fantastic neck luthier, so realistically how wrong could I go for £500? The quilted maple finish looks fantastic, and as far as 6ers go, it's very forgiving to play. I haven't used it as my main bass though, so it doesn't seem to sit perfectly with me, I have to think about what I'm doing when i'm playing it, which is something I don't have to do with the Warwicks. I also love the anonymity of it. It doesn't have a particular make written on it (apart from the Overwater bridge) so it looks good and sounds good, but leaves people wondering what the hell it is. For the money it was definitely worth it, but it definitely needs some work doing at it. So the downfalls? I find the EMG active system very confusing and hard to get on with. It doesn't help that one of my cats tried to climb it and pulled it off it's wall hanger, shearing one of the stacked pots off. Managed to source another one but the wiring is very tight and messy in there, so I'm seriously considering pulling the system out and fitting an East in (surprise surprise)

The Wal - Well it's a Wal, can't really say more than that about it really. It's a TR1 / Passive Mark 1 so even more exclusive, some people love them and some hate them. Single humbucker and tone and volume pot, I treat it as my ideal Precision. What don't I like? Well it's my dad's but I have unlimited access to it, problem is I'm not allowed to move it over to my apartment despite him not playing a lot of bass at the moment.

Acoustic fretless 5 - Well it was free, can't complain at that. Although to be honest, given how good it sounds (Especially through an amp), I'd happily pay the list price for it. The only thing I don't really like is that the side dots are marked as if it's a fretted bass up to the 12th fret, then it's suddenly marked as if it's a true fretless. VERY confusing!

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1335916583' post='1638167'] I have a few basses and they are all so different. I love them all but they all have something that bugs me about them. This is what I love and hate about them all. [b]Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 2EQ 2008 in Teal Green and Maple Neck - [/b]
[b]Fender Precision MIA 2008 in Olympic White and Rosewood Board [/b]
[b]Fender Jazz MIA 2011 in Olympic White with Rosewood Board[/b]
[b]Warwick Streamer LX4 2012 in Natural Oil [/b]
[b]Warwick Streamer Jazzman Fretless 2006 in Natural Oil[/b]
[b]ESP 400 Series Jazz 1998 in Black[/b] [b]with Rosewood Board[/b] [/quote]

slightly odd question here... you know how some folk on here have basses that you just think 'wow, really beautiful and just look great and they obviously love them. Think Wateroftyne with a sunburst '71, or Warwickhunt's Infinity, Gafbass's blue jazz with the stripes or Wazoo's dingwal.... well in my head when I see your posts I think of the ESP. Now I can get why you would have and use a precision, great basses- but why if you have the ESP did you go buy another jazz bass?

Listed chronologically:
ESP 400 Series Jazz - I can't think of anything I dislike, it's the perfect J bass. I can be a real prick for swapping out parts but the fact that this is as stock as the day they made it tells you everything you need to know.
Bacchus Standard 5 - This thing looks and sounds amazing, my only gripe is I'm not playing 5s that much any more. Maybe a passive tone control would be worth adding, it's bass and treble boost only but still sounds amazing.
Hotwire Custom 5 - It wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be in terms of build quality and the Bacchus blew it away. I like the Q-Tuners which work well with the ACG filter pre I installed recently. I've recently defretted it and it's getting more use that way.
Warwick Streamer LX4 - The tone, I love. The neck I grew to love after rolling the edges. I dislike where they put the bridge strap button which is about two inches away from the bridge and the strap rubs off my arm when I play.
Bacchus Woodline P Classic - is to P basses what the ESP is to J basses.
Godlyke Disciple 4 - Just fits my hands perfectly, I love everything about it and sold my Stingray after getting it.
Godlyke Disciple 5 - I like it a lot but don't love it yet, just haven't been able to get what I want from it tonally, but I'm getting closer. It's the most comfortable 5er I've ever played and the fretwork is perfect.
Home Made Jazz - It's good, but it's not the ESP
Ibanez SR1300 - Very nice bass, has really come alive since I installed EMG pickups and preamp
Warwick Streamer NT - Put in a lot of work bringing this back from the dead, it's really, really nice and the strap button is in the right place so very comfortable too.
Bacchus 24 - Just got it a couple of weeks ago but I am deeply in love with this thing, probably the best built instrument I've ever held. I'm still getting to know it though.
Lookie [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/100315-the-bassdrobe/page__view__findpost__p__1370974"]here[/url] for pics

My selection:
1973 Fender Mustang in competition red with competition stripes. Bought when I couldn't afford a "real bass" back in the late 70s (I had just bought a house and was strapped for cash), but sounded like a Fender and that was enough. In the bad old days before the value of vintage instruments was realised, I cut a hole for an extra Jazz pickup and had it refinished in black. I am having that vandalism corrected by a local luthier at the moment. Easy bass to play, with nearly enough sound to be satisfying.

1979 Rickenbacker 4001 in natural blonde. My main bass since the early 80s - super low action and sounds like a Rick. Nuff said.

1997 Warwick Corvette Standard Passive in blue. Bought from Jigster on here a few months ago, and now my go to bass. All my friends who have played it want it. Some basses just feel right - and this is the one for me. The sound is a bit weak on the G and D strings - which I am hoping to put right with a bit of setup and judicious EQ at tonight's rehearsal - but the E and A have that Warwick growl. Mmmmmm.

2009 Warwick Corvette Standard Active in honey. Big truss rod problems which are being sorted. Sounds great but doesn't play as well as the passive. Will have the occasional outing when the neck is sorted.

Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5 string in lustrous shiny blue. Gorgeous looking beast, plays OK but sounds a bit weak. I needed a 5 string, and it does the job.

[u]Fender Precision AV62 (La Bella 760FS)[/u]: it sounds and feels like a ‘60s Precision.

[u]Lakland Skyline Decade (Lakland JO Flats)[/u]: it does a range of sounds from dubby Gibsonesque to growly Jazz and manages to look both modern and retro at the same time.

[u]Takamine B10 (La Bella 760N)[/u]: Completely different animal, not an upright but probably the nearest you’re going to get; looks cool and is cool.

[u]Michael Kelly Dragonfly Acoustic (TI JF344)[/u]: great for noodling, general practice, and working out stuff and, in between times, hangs nicely on the wall.

[u]Thomann (Hora) 22 ¾ Upright (Thomastik Spirocore Weich)[/u]: Right price, sounds good, in fact sounds better than I do, I must learn to play it better.

I'll just keep it to the ones I own now. Going through a transitional phase and I have sold a lot of basses lately and I have two more basses being built which won’t be finished for a while yet, but these two are not going anywhere!

[b]2005 Warwick Thumb BO 4 String[/b]

Positives…

This is the only remaining Warwick bass I own and was actually the last one I bought before selling the other 4 basses. This one has always been my favourite. For a 2-band active bass this bass carries a serious attitude. The tone is incredibly punchy and balanced. This bass has gain a lot of fans with sound engineers over the years because it manages to sit in the mix very well. Okay, the Thumb is not the prettiest bass in the world, but is very comfortable to play and feels reassuringly solid. I replaced the pickups a few years ago with Barts and it is very sensitive and responsive. I love it!

Negatives…

For such a small bodied bass it weighs a tonne! The other Warwicks I owned had the brass Adjust-O-Nut which have their own little problems, but this Thumb has the composite Mk2 version. I really don’t like it. Don’t get me wrong, being able to adjust the height of your nut is very useful, but I did prefer the brightness of the brass nut and the fact you can adjust individual string height. The Mk2 is also a bit brittle and the retainers at the edges snap off easily. I hear that the Mk3 version on newer Warwick do the same.

[b]Lakland 55-02 Inca Silver #52[/b]

Positives…

This has to be my favourite bass I have ever owned. I bought it from a collector in Dallas TX when I lived there for a short time. I use it as much as I can both live and in the studio. The bass is so versatile, sounds and plays great and the low-B is the best I have heard outside of a Dingwall. This instrument has been my main work horse for many years.

It’s #52 ever made, but when I checked its authenticity after I bought it with Lakland they told me some interesting facts. It is the only 55-02 painted in Inca Silver which confused them a little. They asked me to check the serial number written on the heel pocket on the body. After a couple of days they confirmed that the bass has a 55-02 neck, but with a 55-94 body. They suspect that the bass was quickly put together to showcase the launch of the Skyline series at the NAMM show along with a couple of other basses painted in non-stock colours before they took the decision to just offer 4 colours. So, apart from being one of the first Skyline basses Lakland ever made it’s also one of a kind.

Negatives…

It’s a big ‘ol bass and makes me look really small! It also weighs as much the moon and I struggle to play it for long periods as I suffer from a whiplash injury. Apart from that, I can’t think of anything else I don’t like about it. It’s an incredible instrument!

63 P Bass, great sound and feel, super light :). Head dive :(
Fretless SUB great sound, feel and looks :) Heavy :(
Sandberg Basic PM4 sound, playability, versatile, balance :) Not really a looker :(
Ibby Gary Willis sound, playability, weight, balance :) The initial looks were not to my liking so I stripped it, much better. I guess the revealed wood could be better matched/more attractive :(

2007 Am Std S1 Precision - Does the job . Makes the sound I want. Works in the band and on recordings. Comfortable too play and pretty light. Not a fan of sunburst but it's not offending me any more. The white scratchplate it came with lasted a week until I could get a black one. The S1 switch which works really well on a Jazz I played but is useless on a P. In the bin too. The pickup got swapped out for a Wizard Thumper which gave me the little extra I was after. I can't see myself using or needing anything else.

Retrovibe RV4 Rickenmusicmanbacker - Really excellent for the money. Does an excellent job of sitting at the back of the stage patiently waiting for a string to break or a connection to go on the Precision. If I do play it the lack of a forearm chamfer gets a bit uncomfortable after a while.

That's it. Two basses. I'm not getting this GAS thing am I?

CIJ Fender 57' P - Neck like a tree trunk, Duncan pickup put in it, workhorse, solid, reliable. Love everything about it.

MM Stingray - Neck too thin, don't like the tone, hate the 3 band active. Generally out of love with it at the moment, but it is always the bass I pickup to record with.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1335940853' post='1638234']
slightly odd question here... you know how some folk on here have basses that you just think 'wow, really beautiful and just look great and they obviously love them. Think Wateroftyne with a sunburst '71, or Warwickhunt's Infinity, Gafbass's blue jazz with the stripes or Wazoo's dingwal.... well in my head when I see your posts I think of the ESP. Now I can get why you would have and use a precision, great basses- but why if you have the ESP did you go buy another jazz bass?
[/quote]

Good point and my fault totally as I forgot to mention that the ESP is fretless where the Fender Jazz is fretted. Thats cool that you link me with the ESP. There was a red one on here that I should had bought. If it does come up for sale again, I will buy it and sell the Fender.

I'll make the shortlist short.

[b]Ibanez SR-1000E '90[/b]

My only working bass. Bought it new & started out as a metallic black instrument. Llast summer I stripped it to the wood & gave it an oil & wax. Recently changed it from active electronics to passive (simple volume, pick up blend & tone). Strung with TI Jazz flats. Undergoing some slight mods.

Positives: Great sound from it. The neck pick up can get a great P tone & the bridge gets that burpy Jazz tone. Slim neck that's easy to move around on. Ergonomic & light body. Reliable.

Negatives: if I hold a Bm at the 7th fret, it buzzes. Even if I just hold the E & G strings at the 7th fret & play a note on either, it buzzes! Change a fret & it's fine (audience don't hear it though). Bridge broke, so now have an old fender style bridge off of my Vox bass on it.

I've tried quite a few other basses in my time, but never played anything that I thought could replace the Ibby. Though I'm gassing for a fretless 5/6 string.

[b]Fender Japan Precision:[/b]

Love: Lightweight, balances perfectly, looks amazing, and has a huge sound.
Hate: The battery box on the back, and the intonation seems to have gone out quite a bit now the sun's come out.

[b]Squier Deluxe Jazz V:[/b]

Love: Sounds brilliant, the active EQ is incredibly versatile, quite a robust bass, and i got it for abour £130 cheaper than it should've been
Hate: It weighs a tonne, the nut is HUGE(51mm), 19mm string spacing so replacement pickups might not work so well, the bass itself is huge, and it eats gig bags.

[b]Ibanez GSR200:[/b]

Love: Really nice neck, looked good (until i put stickers on it), balances well
Hate: The cr*p EQ that it came with, the fact that it has no electronics in it at the moment (Again, my fault)

Liam

[b]Retrovibe Aero2:[/b] Feels great to play with a lovely neck. Sounds good to but can't help thinking it could sound better with some decent pickups. It's ageing nicely to a cool off white and extremely happy with my zero fret conversion. Would like a tort guard but would have to be a custom job.

[b]Jim Deacon Bitsa:[/b] CAR P body with a J neck, mint pickguard and a block of hard foam screwed into the bridge position to act as a bridge/fake pickup for thumb anchorage. Slightly wider string spacing at the bridge means it's not as playable as the Retrovibe. Still it's pretty cool for the money it cost to cobble together.

Cij 62 reissue jazz. It does it all - pickups were very noisy but I swapped them for splitcoil j models made by matte_black and it's a lot better

Vintage stingray clone, the yellow paint/stain has faded terribly and the neck is a little wide. Id like a coil tap. Otherwise it's fine

Fender/Squier afinity/Mighty Mite Bitsa:
Pretty much my goto bass at the moment, looks like a 70's BBM Fender, sounds like a Precision. Positives; plenty of dings and cheap as chips so I'm not worried about any venue. Negatives; .....wish it was a real early 70's BBM Fender Precision.

Fender US 75RI Fender Special Run 2002:
Such a nice bass that only stays in the box as much as it does because it's too nice to use at most of the places I play. Positives; The best sounding Jazz I've ever owned, the lovely flame maple neck, it oozes quality. Negatives; Not sure red is 'my' colour.

Status Streamline:
There could be a nuclear apocalypse but this bass would still be in tune after the fallout settled. Positives; A fantastically constructed bass with sounds to match, so light (but still feels quality made) that you can play it all night without feeling it. Negatives: The looks mean it doesn't always get taken seriously (as I found out at an audition last year) by people not in the know!

Musicman Stingray Fretless:
The 2 band Stingray is all the fretless I will ever need. Positives; figured birdseye maple neck, hair-bredth action and growly sound pallet. Negatives; Not the best fretless to try and repoduce DB basslines with.

I only have the one bass now, and I'll keep this short.
Sandberg JM4, natural ash/maple board.
Love the way this bass looks, feels, plays and sounds. By far the Best bass (for me) that I've owned. The one AND only downside is the weight!!! at the end of a 2hr gig I can really feel it. Not quite to the point where I want something else lighter, but it is a beast. Just glad it plays, feels, looks and sounds as good as it does!!

[attachment=106720:snow basses 003.JPG] - Status Kingbass - love this - lovely weight, never goes out of tune, easy to play neck and (despite what the pics suggest) it is a really nice British Racing Green. Range of tones is excellent means that you DON'T have to go for that MK sound which we all associate with Statii.

[attachment=106721:basses in the snow 006.JPG] - Custom Headless - really beautiful piece of timber (Cherry) - the body is chambered and gives a unique deep woody sound, somewhere between a fretless and a DB. The bridge does affect the weight somewhat but it is balanced so that it hangs at 2 o'clock. Fitted with SDs p/ups. Tiniest neck profile which makes it lightning fast to play.

[attachment=106722:OVERWATER JAZZ 002.JPG] - Overwater J4 (UK built) - Probably one of the best Js ever built - has all the best bits that Overwater use - gives a fantastic range of sounds - lovely Maple neck/board - bit too precious about getting it damaged.

[attachment=106723:2001 MM Ray 002.JPG] - 2001 MM 'Ray - only had this about a month - haven't really gelled with it - it's a Ray - what's there to say!!

[attachment=106724:jaydee roadie 002.JPG] - 1987 Jaydee Roadie - beautifully made - excellent balance - fantastic tones - feels/ plays/ sounds sooo right - makes you understand why they were so popular in the 80s/90s. People do make a judgement about you if you own one.

[attachment=106725:003.JPG] - 1987 Veillette Citron - the best bass I own - this will be the last to go!! - [u]perfectly[/u] balanced - excellent range of tones - warm and kicking at the same time (this thread has inspired me to get this out of it's case later) - the most playable neck in the world - this feels sooo right - everybody who plays it falls in love with it!!

All the above have their own personality, character and tone, none are even similar in these respects. They all bring something different to the plate and most people would be happy to own any one of these - I'm lucky enough (though skint) to own them all..

I'm now waiting for Doctor of the Bass to review all 80 of his...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1335961135' post='1638607']

I'm now waiting for Doctor of the Bass to review all 80 of his...
[/quote]

My god, 80 basses?? He probably started writing his reviews last night. Should be finished sometime next month :lol:

[b][u]Tokai jazz sound[/u][/b]

Mid 80's, gorgeous to look at (O.W. with tort guard). It has loverly hot pickups, low action and i like the lacquered neck. At £350 it represents great value for money.

It needs a new pot :( and the bridge is kinda crap. Also it lacks a bit in low mids so when i can afford a nice new 4 string jazz this will unfortunately be going.

[u][b]Warwick Thumb NT 5 Fretless[/b][/u]

Best sounding fretless i've ever played. Really dark and wooden. Perfect for jazz. Also it has 5 strings, 26 "frets".

Quite weighty, lots of neck dive and the jack input barrel needed replacing. Also its my most valuable bass so when i need the moneys i will have to sell it first :unsure:

[b][u]Overwater Jazz 5[/u][/b]

My working man bass. I use this for almost everything as it fits every genre perfectly and has the nicest mids! Also the B is pretty good.

[b][u]Fender precision (MIM)[/u][/b]

strung with flats and OMG. It was my first fender and yes theres dodgy paint finishing in places and the neck pocket isn't perfect but with the linty fralin pickups its so old school! It just has that home factor about it, and puts a massive smile on my face.

[b]Musicman Stingray 4 with 3 band EQ:[/b]
Bass feels good, nice balance and pleasant to play with. Sounded great live with lots of tone control and cuts in the mix nicely for the music i play. Record at home using this bass and the result had been fantastic. Only problem with this bass is when playing alone at home it sounded thin and trebly and lack balls. So this pretty much is a gigging bass.

[b]Fender classic 60 Jazz bass with J-Retro preamp:[/b]
The bass feels light, nice slim neck and balance well. The most comfortable bass out of my collection. Variety of tone control available thanks to the J-Retro and jazz setup. I always get good tone alone or in live performance. This is also my gigging bass. I swap between this and the stingray depend on the song or the band i with.

[b]Fender standard Precision bass:[/b]
The bass felt alright, standard precision stuff. The thing i like about this bass is passive and not much control apart from volume and tone so i just need to plug and go without messing around with EQ. Only down side with this bass is it lack control sometimes on the bass. So i like this bass for practice and backup for live performance. Strug it with flatwound so i can play some old school stuff.

Edited by badboy1984

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1335983739' post='1639166']
Forget about me telling you about my basses... I'm having a massive fit of GAS instead! :gas:
[/quote]

Aren't yours all the wrong way round??

Edited by TheGreek