Why become a member? ×

Band members actually paying attention...

Muzz

OK, I've read a few responses to threads recently where people were saying along the lines of "The rest of the band prefer me to play my Fender/MM/whatever", or "My bandmates prefer the sound of my ...".

Now it might just be my lot in the originals band, but I can't recall any point in the last four years where anyone's expressed a preference, and I must have practiced and gigged with at least a dozen different basses. The nearest I got was in the studio, where the singer insisted on the Ray rather than the PJ for a couple of tracks, which was encouraging, but then he ruined it later by not being able to tell which was which on playback ("I like the Ray sound on this one" "That's the P/J" "Oh, right.")

The other bands I play with are dep-based covers/function bands, and there's a pretty large pool of players, so understandably folk don't remember.

The only thing my bandmates prefer is the Schroeder, because it's easy to lift. :rolleyes:

Is it just me? :(

The singer in my old function band was pretty clued up and would comment on different basses, new amps etc. However, in over 20 years of playing I could probably count the number of times band members (or anyone else for that matter) has commented on my sound. Then again, I'm not over keen on actually being heard and having my limitations exposed, so that may partly explain it.

Interesting. I've played 4 different basses over the past 4 months and I've had plenty of comments from the band;

Fender USA P - sounds... OK, a bit too bass-y and not as clear as your red one
G&L USA L2000 - sounds very thumpy and loud - can't you get a bit more treble out of it, Steve? You're always fiddling with the settings. Prefer the red one, actually.
The red one. MIJ Ibanez Blazer. That's our favourite. It sort of rings out better than the other two and we can hear what you're playing more. You look more comfortable playing it too - you just... [i]play[/i] it

Then;

Fender MIJ P. I've been playing this for the past 4 weeks with no comments from anybody

Steve

My band notices if I bring a new cable to a rehearsal, never-mind a new bass :lol:
Although I only really get comments on sound if it's:
a- really really good for some reason
b- needs changing for some reason

Edited by Ben Jamin

My frontman didn't even notice when i fell over on stage (Although i didn't miss a note, so that might be why) so i doubt he'd notice what bass i was using. They've only ever commented on my choice once, which was when i chose my Ibanez over my Squier to play for 3 minutes at a certain "Competition"....

Liam

My band buddies always notice if I bring in a new bass and sometimes on how it sounds , one of the guitar players always has a big smile if I bring in my black 80s ibanez roadstar 2 , says he loves the sound and look of it , must admit it does sound great but just nice to have a change and experiment with different bass's

I used to be in a band where we were all a bit obsessive about each others gear. I put that down to us being kids and not having much of it. Although, we've not been in a band together for 20 years, we all still know all lot of what gear we've each got now! :lol:

Current band, no-one really cares so long as it sounds good. The pronouncement of a new instrument is usually met with searing ambivalence. Though we sometimes remark to each other how such an instrument or effect has impacted the sound of certain songs, I've never had that with new basses. Then again, I tend to make most of 'em sound the same. They probably all wonder to one another why I've bothered getting a new one.

Amps are slightly different. Though having suffered with amps dying on stage, I think we all just get want to know if the buggers work.

I did get a "Oh, you bought a tuner?" not so long ago, as though that was exotic. Although I think again that probably had a subtext of "Oh, I'll have to make sure I'm in tune with you rather than leaving it you to be in tune with me..." B)

They noticed when I bought an additional 2x10" and stacked it on top of my first one. Even commented that it sounded really good but not any louder. - That'll be because I bought it to be clearer not louder and turned the volume down to suit then.

But then I don't really take a lot if notice which guitars they're playing and only really notice effects if they're 'in your face'. I'm not sure you're supposed to notice subtle differences like a slight difference in tone.

Edited by TimR

In my covers band, we all base our songs around the main guitarists guitar sound. Not through him being a prima-donna, but because it is exactly the right sound for our band. As such, we all expressed a preference for the singer/rhythm guitar to use his Tele, rather than the Les Paul he prefers to play. And the main guitarist prefers me to have a tight punchy bass, using a 410, rather than the warm slightly boomy bass I prefer - 412, or 10s & 12s/15s. And he`s right, for the band we are in. I used my new Schroeder 410 last night, and it was so much more focused for the music we play.

Of course, the singer still says the bass just goes "boooom boooom" in the background, irrespective of what bass/amp/cab I use :angry:

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335617459' post='1633761']
I quit my current band... I bet they haven't bloody noticed yet.
[/quote]

Unless they start fiddling with their sound,I reckon you've got six months before they notice you're not in the mix :lol:

for my band I always had a special bass sound in mind that I couldn't afford at once.
so I went through different basses and slowly came closer until I had found my old starfire bass for a good price - the sound I always was looking for in the band context.
my bandmembers always noticed and made compliments about sound improvements. and since I have my current rig with the starfire I only see smiling faces and my bass sound has become part of the trademark sound of my band.

in the band I play guitar in we always talk about our different instruments and rigs and everyone notices a change and makes comments - mostly good ones. :lol:

All the bands I've been have been total ass haters.

The current one is ok I guess at having an opinion, but the lead singer thinks looks are more important, and the guitarist actually hears the bass. Although yesterday after being told I was too loud, while they were all wearing those cheapo ear plugs we get for free, which just muddies everything up! So I played the next song with no volume and no one noticed until we got to the part where the guitars arn't playing chords.

A past band insisted on me playing with a pick for some silly reason. After every gig and every rehearsal I got asked if I was playing with a pick or not. If they are going to suggest one over the other because it sounds better then I'd expect them to hear a discernable difference between the two. i left this band soon after, along with me being bald a massive problem for them............

TBH we all notice when something isn't right, and for a largly alt/punk/rock originals band the singer's single coil telecaster sounds absolute w***, and his playing isn't much better.

I never get any comments from the bands I'm in about tone or equipment other than, can you turn it up a bit or point it my way a bit more. This could be for one of two reasons. Either, my choice of tone and equipment is absolutely unquestionable as I'm so highly regarded as a band member and musician or, I'm just the bassplayer who organises the coffees in the break and no-one cares a sh*t about what I play or sound like as they're too wrapped up in what they do.

I suspect it's the latter.