Why become a member? ×

Band members actually paying attention...

Muzz

[quote name='the_krysh' timestamp='1335621067' post='1633832']
in the band I play guitar in we always talk about our different instruments and rigs and everyone notices a change and makes comments - mostly good ones. :lol:
[/quote]

I wish my guitarists would do more of that. One of them in particular could benefit heavily from a little more engaged with his gear.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1335545442' post='1633020']
I swap and change basses all the time, so they are used to me turning up with a different one every week, so I think they've given up.

[/quote]

Yeah I'm with you on that one. I've had about 80 odd basses over the past few years so the guys in the bands I play in don't even say anything when I turn up with something new

In my first proper band, the guitarist worked very closely with me when it came to the sound, we adjusted our sounds so that they complimented eachother perfectly, it was great!

Next band I was in, they didn't care what I played as long as they couldn't actually hear my bass <_<

In Malacite, I always get comments on my sound, or if I decide to try a new effect :)

And in the cover band, right from the audition I was getting showered with praise on my actual playing, but I don't think anyone's too bothered about what I use... they did notice when I turned up to rehearsal with a new 5 string, which was surprising :D

Pretty much everybody who ever sees me play comments on the yellow speakers though :lol:

Guitarist said I had a "nice percussive tone",which I thought was a thoughtful comment.
He also prefers the P to the J and was happy when I assured him I [i]would[/i] use a pick for any Killers tunes!
Singer doesn`t know which universe he`s in.
Drummer sees four strings and is happy.
Most of them ignore my muttered burblings about flatwounds being the way forward.

I posted this in the 'depressing things your bandmates say' thread but it should be here really.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Me" it was really nice to get the fretless out for a few songs"[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Keys"oh you had your fretless, I didn't think you would bring it as there's not much room to stand it on the stage"[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Me, thinking and muttering under my breath "that was one of the two basses next to where you stand and that I changed over between songs in front of you" [/font][/color]

Not band but PA folk, I was playing at church 5 piece band and in a not massive area in a school hall- and a fairly loud drummer right next to my right ear. I have to stand pretty close to my amp which was an ashdown and just a wee bit woolly, but anyway. what with the PA folk turning the singers up too loud through the foldback and a drummer about a foot from my right ear I turn up to the quietist I can to hear myself- which of course in a big empty hall sounds fairly loud.
I get told to turn down,I do
I get told to turn down I do
I get told again and do, only now can't hear myself, so start hitting the strings harder to compensate- which doesn't sound great so turn up a bit.
Get moaned at again. and through the last song in the practice/soundcheck just turn the volume on my bass off and mime along.
No one notices

keep miming

no one notices

do my best flea bass playing impression slap bass mime

no one notices

play with my teeth- drummer is cracking up but utterly unnoticed....

finish song- yeah that sounded great- much better.

!

I must be rare in having a band that actually notices when things are different. There again I play in a trio, so the other two would need to be pretty ignorant to not notice.

Anyway, when I got my Thunderbird it was nicer than my US Jazz - "It seems more alive all the way up the neck rather than bottom 5 frets"
Then I got my Squier PJ - "Wow"

In addition, two of guitarist friends - both occasional bass players, have looked out for & bought a Peavey Databass from ebay after hearing mine.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1335619792' post='1633797']
....the singer still says the bass just goes "boooom boooom" in the background, irrespective of what bass/amp/cab I use....
[/quote]

The tone is in your fingers!!

I seldom get direct compliments from my band, or indeed any comment on what I play or how I play it, apart from when I started and I was asked if I had a more thumpy-MacCartney-esque bass for early 60's numbers. I responded by saying that I could do that if they bought me a Hofner and until then they'd have to be happy with my Jazz and solid state Ampeg combo, authenticity be damned.

There were grumbles about being dedicated, but I'd usually just rip off the solos to My Generation and that'd satisfy them that even though I played a Jazz (gasp) with a pick (more gasps) and roundwounds (gasp to end all gasps) I could actually play the damn thing, and that kept them happy. For a long time, though, I kept being asked to turn down, or cut a spot of the high end, make it a bit more, y'know, bass-like, but then my wife and I had a baby, and I had to take a few gigs off. Now my technique is an essential part of the sound, and my tone is apparently sorely missed, and the dep guy's Hofner is not what they want at all. The grass is apparently always greener with the other guy's rig.

Of course.

Edited by achknalligewelt