Why become a member? ×

Geezer's home practice rig

daz

[quote name='Maverick' timestamp='1335180031' post='1626699']
Lamb of God are great. Campbell is a very underrated bassist IMO.
[/quote]

I'm of the same opinion - though I find he does often venture into speed and fret w***ery; though that does seem to be the fashion for a lot of that style of music.

I think he has a signature Jackson.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1335175129' post='1626573']
Ah... I remember back in the late 70s going to see Sabbath in Coventry. (Van Halen were support!!). I got down to the front, up against the stage, right in front of Geezer's rig. I could feel my chest move and my ears rang for three days afterwards.

Happy days!
[/quote]

Pardon?

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1335176993' post='1626620']
I thought I was overdoing it with a Peavey TKO80.

I saw Heaven and Hell at the Albert Hall a couple of years back and, unbelieveably, they were drowned out on the volume front by the support band Lamb of God who are the loudest thing I have ever experienced. Thank God for ear plugs.
[/quote]

To (mis)quote Homer Simpson...'I've been to plenty of rock concerts and it hasn't affected my hearing. Why doesn't someone answer that telephone?'

[quote name='tedgilley' timestamp='1335124977' post='1626140']
My practice rig isn't quite this big, but it's also less expensive.
[/quote]

but I would be willing to bet Geezer actually paid a lot less for that rig, than you did for yours.

We've all heard stories of massive backlines onstage with only a fraction of them actually connected and in some cases in the past lightweight 'cabs' full of dummy speakers have been used. What you see isn't always what you hear, it's a rock [i]show [/i]after all. Sabbath were punishingly loud at their height though.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335124781' post='1626134']
You see, this is why Geezer's a total boss :)
[/quote]

He's the reason I still play the bass now. Probably one of the most underrated bass players of all time.

Proper football fan too (before it was fashionable)... even if its Villa. :)

F*ckin' 'ave some geez..

Edited by WHUFC BASS

While we are indulging in a little Geezer love, I assume we have all seen that incredible video of Black Sabbath playing somewhere in france in 1970. 1970. 42 years ago. Set the bar for heavy rock and to these old jaded ears, it hasn't been raised since. Ozzy could almost sing back then, and Bill Ward's drumming was as its 'drunk in the broom cupboard' best. War Pigs, nothing else to say.

If you haven't you can rectify it immediately as some kindly soul has uploaded the whole hour's worth onto YouTube. Pic quality isn't great but who cares. Raw power when not many others were doing this.
[media]http://youtu.be/c78lez8P0gc[/media]

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1335191887' post='1626943']
How old is that picture? I only ask because I thought that Geezer was only using Laklands now.

Maybe its a few years old and he really just uses to a Phil Jones Briefcase.
[/quote]

He hasn't played the Vigiers for years. The picture must be at least ten years old. Hate to say it, but he sounded much better with the Vigiers! His tone on Ozzmosis is incredible.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1335221187' post='1627681']
He's the reason I still play the bass now. Probably one of the most underrated bass players of all time.

Proper football fan too (before it was fashionable)... even if its Villa. :)

F*ckin' 'ave some geez..
[/quote]

Yeah. I'm the same. I was also into Sabbath long before the Stranglers were formed. Fantastic tone, great bass lines. We really will have to meet up one day, we seem to have lots in common musically. Stranglers, Ruts, Sabbath, etc. :)

Edited by daz