Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

I think it really depends on what you think you need. Is there a particular type of bass that you'd like to try that you think you would use a lot?

The only thing you have to remember with a boutique is that the resale values at the moment are pretty poor - last thing you want to do is buy one and then 6 months later decide it's not for you?

Not sure it would cost £5k.. but I'd have one made and I already know what it will look like and what elecs I need...I only just have to commit to a deposit.
The balance..?? maybe a DB750 but I am well served with amps atm..so that wouldn't get many outings.. so difficult to decide on that one.
But the bass..?? that is sorted.

Answering your question directly, I'd get 2 or 3 basses. This way if you're ever stuck for cash you can sell 1 or 2 and still have a decent bass to keep.

Personally, I'd buy studio time for the band and get a great product out there. Maybe some merchandise too! I'm assuming you already have a bass or two and a rig? Why buy more?!

Truckstop

I've spent up to £2k on a custom bass but somehow I think that's my limit.

I might possibly buy a vintage bass for £5k with half an eye on it's future value but a boutique or custom bass is probably going to lose you money if you sell it.

So probably several cheaper basses, my favourite at the moment is my Japanese 62 reissue Jazz closely followed by a custom built Status S2 Classic headed 5 stringer.

If I didn`t already have THE bass, then I would look around, and find it, and me being me, check out Year of Birth Fenders. But, don`t only look at £5K basses, THE bass for you may be a £2K bass - and then you can get another decent bass as an investment - 60s & 70s Fenders I don`t see depreciating in value.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1334765826' post='1620926']
I'd put it towards recording a really good album in an excellent studio with a great producer.
[/quote]

And will the rest of the band match my contribution? I doubt it. In fact, I doubt they'll even say "Thanks, mate!"

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1334772097' post='1621067']
I'd put it in a cash ISA and buy a Westone :)
[/quote]

I bought a Westone as my first bass. That was not a mistake. I still own it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334772155' post='1621070']
I'd spend 2K tooling around America looking for an awesome £3K (inc. tax!) vintage Fender.
[/quote]

Now [i]that[/i] is a good idea!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334778760' post='1621253']
Plus everything. Unless you're a bedroom bubinga botherer.
[/quote]

I have been, was in several bands, and am glad to be off the treadmill. Plainly you lack cynicism and not energy. Good for you.
I am quite the opposite. Horses for courses.
Some people play just for the sheer enjoyment of it, with or without an audience. Please try not to make value judgements about it.

Just trying to temper the wildly differing opinions!

5k is a big wedge to drop on any one instrument. There's surely lots of trying out to be done! One question no-one's asked is what you already have (I see you have Fender/s Yamaha/s, but not which) and what you're looking for..

My 2p (to add to your 5K!);

More than one. And possibly even some second-hand content. There's amazing value-for-money to be had there, and some of the instruments are top-notch. All I can add is - Try before you buy, and buy the one you tried. In every instance!

[quote name='funkygreega' timestamp='1334765379' post='1620919']
Not sure if this topic has been covered but I would like to know what you would do in this instance:
Say you have £5k to spare, would you buy a boutique/custom bass for that figure or buy 2/3 guitars from that money?
[/quote]

5k? Currently I'd put it towards a house :P

Barring that, custom bass + money towards album/gigging

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1334779887' post='1621278']
And will the rest of the band match my contribution? I doubt it. In fact, I doubt they'll even say "Thanks, mate!"
[/quote]

I can't say that it would bother me. I paid for all the recording and production cost for my bands last single because I had the money available and it was something I wanted to do. The band are grateful and the agreement is that all money from selling the CDs and downloads goes to me until the costs have been covered - a deal that we are all happy with.

I've been in too many bands where the only legacy has been a handful of poorly recorded tracks on compact cassette and for this band I want a more permanent records of the music that I am involved with.

I ought to qualify my original post by saying that I don't actually need any more basses and if I was to buy another one it would most likely cost more than £5k, so for me the money would be better spent on other things for the band.