Why become a member? ×

Basses you wished you never parted with

shizznit

I finally parted with my MTD 535 last night after 8yrs of ownership and I am feeling quite gutted about it. I have owned lots of basses that I have passed on with no regrets, but I walked into my music room this morning whilst getting ready for work and saw an empty space in the corner where the MTD used to live and that's when the penny dropped...I am never going to play that bass ever again!

I sold it for three reasons...[list=1]
[*]I hardly touched it. I bought it for studio use only, but over time I started to prefer other instruments and so did some of the engineers that I have worked with over the past few years. My Lakland seems to get a few more smiles when I switch to it, even though I thought the MTD sounded awesome anyway.
[*]The string spacing was a little too much for me and my fretting hand fatigued very quickly whilst playing it, so if I was in an all-day session it used to kill me.
[*]Need to finance a new custom build for a bass that is more comfortable for me and will get more use.
[/list]
I know that I have sold the bass with good intentions, but it was the most amazing instrument I have ever owned. It's gone to friend that is a pro player and he has been using it over the past few weeks. He has really connected with it and it will serve him better than it ever did with me. That makes me feel a bit better I guess, but not much!

Even though I didn't play the MTD much whenever I picked it up and had a pluck it always brought a smile to my face. The tone was gorgeous and the burl top was ever so pretty. Probably the only instrument I have owned that I had a genuine sentimental attachment to.

Have you ever sold a bass that you wished you kept hold of?

Yes, my first bass - a white white maple no name pbass copy. I didn't realise how good it was and resprayed it, added pups, fiddle with the electrics, defreyted it, refretted it very badly and generally ruined it.
I have no idea what happened to it

3 basses for me.

My first bass, an Ibanez Blazer. Bought for £99, left handed, natural finish with maple finger board.

My Jaydee Mark King, custom made by John, opalescent white with bound neck and headstock.

And finally, my 1976 Gibson Thunderbird, black and played upside down, brilliant neck and superb tone and because I played it upside down (because it was right handed) it balanced perfectly.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1329818988' post='1547698']
My Corvette now owned by Marvin on here, incredible bass, should have kept it :(
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168684-warwick-rockbass-corvette-l160/page__hl__corvette__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168684-warwick-rockbass-corvette-l160/page__hl__corvette__fromsearch__1[/url]

maybe you should look at this Wayne....

The longer I look for one 'really good' bass, the more I'm regretting selling my Overwater. Such a lovely piece of wood, I should have persisted and changed the pups, but back then (not so long ago) I looked at a bass as a complete thing, not something to be played around with until it was right.

My first bass - a Kay EB-O copy. Purely for sentimental reasons.

My Gibson Les Paul Bass - just cos it looked "wrong", but was a great bass.

My Fender 51 Reissue - great bass, but the wrong sound for my requirements.

And, give it enough time, the 97 Precision I sold last week, in Sunburst/Tort:
Fantastic bass, but both my bands like white basses/gtrs, so it wasn`t getting played.

The last two were sold purely as they weren`t being used, and were far too good to be simply ornaments, better that someone else benefits from them.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1329820490' post='1547728']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168684-warwick-rockbass-corvette-l160/page__hl__corvette__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

[/quote]

Must free some cash up for that.

Thank you

Edited by waynepunkdude

I miss my turquoise Yamaha RBXJM1. I only sold it because of a major GAS attack and I wish I'd have thought about it for a few more days. I reckon I would have kept hold of it. It really was a special instrument and I simply didnt appreciate it as much as I should have done :(

Truckstop

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1329820575' post='1547729']
The longer I look for one 'really good' bass, the more I'm regretting selling my Overwater.
[/quote]

I miss mine too, but that was taken away from me rather than passing it on! The MTD was the replacement. I only had the Overwater for about a year before it was stolen, so I didn't really get that attached to it.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1329820990' post='1547748']
I miss mine too, but that was taken away from me rather than passing it on! The MTD was the replacement. I only had the Overwater for about a year before it was stolen, so I didn't really get that attached to it.
[/quote]

Nearly sold my overwater.... VERY happy i didn't! But i do regret selling my musicman stingray because it had sentimental values. But at the end of the day it didn't do the job as well as my tokai jazz which was a 1/4 of the price!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1329820943' post='1547744']
I miss my turquoise Yamaha RBXJM1. I only sold it because of a major GAS attack and I wish I'd have thought about it for a few more days. I reckon I would have kept hold of it. It really was a special instrument and I simply didnt appreciate it as much as I should have done :(

Truckstop
[/quote]

Mines all cleaned up now with fresh strings on it and I can safely say it's going nowhere anytime soon :)

My Ric 4003, only because it took me 4 years to save for it. I sold it because it was uncomfortable for fingerstyle given that I didn't want to take the pup cover off for purely aethetic reasons.

But, to be fair, the cash did allow me to acquire my Warick and Tanglewater basses that I'm really enjoying playing.

I'm sure we've been here before but basses I regret selling:

1. Alembic Triple Omega (custom built for me)- loved it to bits but my back couldn't cope anymore. Still miss it dreadfully, still wish I could cope with it so could get it back.

2. Sei 4 headless buckeye burl - sold to finance my second Ric CS (which I later sold). One day I still hope to get it back!

3. Sei Flamboyant headed 5 - sold to finance my '72 Azure. I don't regret that (it was the only way I could sensibly get the Azure) but I do miss it a great deal. My favourite 5 that I've ever played by some margin.

4. Sei Series 2 singlecut - again a sensible sale at the time but I miss this too.

5. '73 Ric 4000. The most aggressive sounding bass I've ever played, and surprisingly versatile (more so than any of my other Rics which seems impossible). Sold in a fit of pique after a bad gig. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

6. Rick 4003s8 - sold to finance the Alembic, which I don't regret. I do miss it though; monster sound.

7. Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 '91 - far, far better than the later '96 I had, sold to pay for a new staircase! Heavy though (the bass,not the staircase).

8. Warwick Dolphin Pro II - great, underrated bass. Sold to a mate who loves it.

9. Warwick Streamer Stage 1 '91 - just because I'm currently gassing for another. Mine went in p/x against the '91 Dolphin...

10. Wal Custom - sold to a mate in '96-ish for £550; ouch. He has used it as his main bass ever since. Would be nice to have at home for some things, but even better to sell for £3k! Still, it went to a good home so all's well.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1329831363' post='1548029']
I'm sure we've been here before but basses I regret selling:

1. Alembic Triple Omega (custom built for me)- loved it to bits but my back couldn't cope anymore. Still miss it dreadfully, still wish I could cope with it so could get it back.

2. Sei 4 headless buckeye burl - sold to finance my second Ric CS (which I later sold). One day I still hope to get it back!

3. Sei Flamboyant headed 5 - sold to finance my '72 Azure. I don't regret that (it was the only way I could sensibly get the Azure) but I do miss it a great deal. My favourite 5 that I've ever played by some margin.

4. Sei Series 2 singlecut - again a sensible sale at the time but I miss this too.

5. '73 Ric 4000. The most aggressive sounding bass I've ever played, and surprisingly versatile (more so than any of my other Rics which seems impossible). Sold in a fit of pique after a bad gig. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

6. Rick 4003s8 - sold to finance the Alembic, which I don't regret. I do miss it though; monster sound.

7. Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 '91 - far, far better than the later '96 I had, sold to pay for a new staircase! Heavy though (the bass,not the staircase).

8. Warwick Dolphin Pro II - great, underrated bass. Sold to a mate who loves it.

[b]9. Warwick Streamer Stage 1 '91 - just because I'm currently gassing for another. Mine went in p/x against the '91 Dolphin...[/b]

10. Wal Custom - sold to a mate in '96-ish for £550; ouch. He has used it as his main bass ever since. Would be nice to have at home for some things, but even better to sell for £3k! Still, it went to a good home so all's well.
[/quote]

At the moment, after years of umming and erring, I am so glad I did not sell my streamer. Offered it up enough times! New pups and wow! This is going no where!

DeArmond Starfire bass - found in a junk/pawn shop in York in pristine condition. Sold to help fund a Spector Rebop which I didn't like at all sadly.

Status Shark - passive with one shiny chrome pickup in the Aria SB/Rickenbacker position. Incredible clank and growl. Really miss this one, it was perfect for playing along to Fragile!

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1329820490' post='1547728']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168684-warwick-rockbass-corvette-l160/page__hl__corvette__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

[/quote]

Have sent Marv a PM hopefully this thread has got my old bass back.