Why become a member? ×

How easily replaceable are you for your band?

xilddx

I play in three bands and fortunately I'm replaceable in all of them because we, including the deps, are professionals. 'Fortunately' because there are sometimes diary clashes within the three bands and sometimes a family commitment intrudes - and sometimes I break my arm, as just gone by. We manage but we have this A-Team thing: however good the dep, the band never sounds as good as when all the regulars are together which, fortunately, is most of the time.

I think if I was replaced in my folk band 1/2 the songs would change completely & 1/2 would just get lost/replaced & it would then become a different band.
Me & the singer do the majority of the songwriting & each person writes their own parts. If I left BigRoom & joined/started another band I'd probably take a few of the songs & basslines with me (do covers of them as such).

I assumed I was easy to replace, but having recently told the covers band i'm leaving, I have realised that without me the singer will never find the venue in his van, and will continue to wire up the PA wrong and not be double checked before there is no sound. Also the rest of the band will have to cue themselves in on bits they can't remember without my nods. And they may not know to not turn up most of the drummers mics in the PA, they are just there to make him happy.
My replacement is a member here, and I wish him the very best of luck (and a map) :)

It seems to me that there are two things at work here. While to majority of us are fairly eaily replaceable if the band simply want someone to play the right low notes at the right time in the right order, it's all the other non-bass-playing things that we do that make us invaluable.

Also any change in personnel will change the dynamic and sound of the band. No matter how similar the new member is in technical ability to the musician they are replacing it will never be exactly the same. Some bands are able to embrace this change and build on it. Others never cope.

I've just had a kid, and so am on a hiatius from my band. However, I saw our drummer in town this weekend, and asked him how my dep, an old mate of our guitarist who I didn't knw at all, was going. He's been a musician for forty years, apparently, and a pro at that. I was apprehensive that I'd been replaced all too easily. I'm a self-taught amateur with a taste for being a bit too loud. A proper bassist of the old school would walk all over me.

"Erm, you see," he started. This is it, I thought, I was going to get the sack. "He got drunk and mucked up all of the second set. I can't work with him at all. We need you back, mate!"

Felt pretty good...

Having just quit my band, there is obviously a part of me that hopes that they will recognise (in searching for my replacement) how committed, flexible, team-minded and friendly I was. Truth is, though, my bass lines were very easy and even a DB player of modest ability should be able to replace me without much difficulty. Its the non-playing elements I think they will miss.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1329818723' post='1547692']
Having just quit my band, there is obviously a part of me that hopes that they will recognise (in searching for my replacement) how committed, flexible, team-minded and friendly I was. Truth is, though, my bass lines were very easy and even a DB player of modest ability should be able to replace me without much difficulty. Its the non-playing elements I think they will miss.
[/quote]

Got anything lined up Mr C?

You can always reform Sensation=blue/grey...........

i think everyone at one time or another things about being replaced or if there good enough for the band. The band i'm in is with my mates so if i got replaced or another member did then it be like loosing a mate. Personally i think the drummer and guitarist are good at what they do and i would be the easyest to replace.

[quote name='achknalligewelt' timestamp='1329818099' post='1547682']
I've just had a kid, and so am on a hiatius from my band. However, I saw our drummer in town this weekend, and asked him how my dep, an old mate of our guitarist who I didn't knw at all, was going. He's been a musician for forty years, apparently, and a pro at that. I was apprehensive that I'd been replaced all too easily. I'm a self-taught amateur with a taste for being a bit too loud. A proper bassist of the old school would walk all over me.

"Erm, you see," he started. This is it, I thought, I was going to get the sack. "He got drunk and mucked up all of the second set. I can't work with him at all. We need you back, mate!"

Felt pretty good...
[/quote]

I can relate to that.

I moved to the US for just over a year and the band I was playing for before I left the UK replaced me with 2 different players within that time. When they heard I was back in the country they wanted me back in because the guys that they brought in struggled to play my lines. I found that a bit odd because I thought that my bass lines weren't that difficult to play and the first guy they hired was way more suited and skilled to that style of music than I was. I even emailed them tabs when I was over there! When I met the singer he said that it was the 'feel' that was missing. Technical ability is one thing, but every musician has their own musical voice and character and sometimes that can't be replaced.

There very few decent bass players in my area, so the bands I'm in would have difficulty finding a bass player that a) is local and B) can actually play the material.

I have been having doubts about the metal band though, since last week I've been very self-critical about my ability to play the songs, and where I fit in with the rest of the band personality-wise. Added to the fact that I contribute very little to the band musically - most of the songs are written by the drummer and guitarist together.

So.. If there was more talent around, I have no doubt whatsoever that I'd be replaceable.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1329399878' post='1541850']
....If you had to replace yourself by auditioning new bass players for your band, do you think that would be an easy thing to do?....
[/quote]

Write the songs and you might be safe but the reality is that 99% of players in bands are replaceable. I know better players than most of the guys in my bands but that's not the point. A friend once said to me that you can always find someone better. You just have to know when to stop looking.

I have been dumped in favour of the dep and depped for players who were then dumped in favour of me. I have just quit a band because I was being messed about and they didn't bat an eyelid. That's life. You learn from every experience, lick your wounds and move on.

I play like me, that's all I can do. I’m quite flexible but I can’t play everything so I just try to be the best round peg in a round hole. The other stuff I do is to always try to sound better than the competition, know all the numbers I'm supposed to know and give every gig 100%, even if there is only one man and a dog in the audience.

Talent-wise I'm sure I could be easily replaced since I only started playing bass to join our band (used to play drums). However the band had tried other bass players before but couldn't find anyone that fitted in personality, age etc. These types of things are very important to how a band gets along. Talent is only part of a much bigger equation.

I've always been in covers bands so obviously I'm quite replaceable, I'd be slightly delusional to think otherwise. Curiously though of all the genuine gigging bands I've been in I've actually only been replaced in one of them, shortly followed by 2 other band members from what I later heard.