Why become a member? ×

How easily replaceable are you for your band?

xilddx

Current theme... I tell them I think the set is tired but then don't think many new suggestions are upto scratch... but that is more because one guy has picked them. If he did that by consensus, we'd be better off, IMO.
Also, a few decisions seem to have been taken about pulling out of certain venues..to aim for better paid ones, which I don't think is the be-all and end-all, at all..plus this means many people will have to pay ticket charges when they could catch us in a pub occasionally.
We aren't a function band at all..in terms of the set we play, but I see the trouble ahead if there is no band consensus.

I think we should have 3 sets..a pub set for fun and easy time of it.
A function set for those few gigs that really need this..and therefore we charge accordingly. Can't be doing with too many of these though, tbh
and a festival set which is all about the band and the show..and something a set on from a pub set/date.
The songs are the more interchanagebale, but it is the show, we need to up the ante on..

Otherwise..goes my argument, how do we justify a step out of the pub arena and the associated costs we want to run....??

Plus...when I talk about tired old sets..from my POV and a few of the other guys in the band..I am seen as difficult, whereas I see it as a way to improve the band and push on.
I agree I am very picky about things like this...and can't or won't want to let it wash over..... but I do it to an end, not just complain for complaining sake.

The simple fact is that I think we should be, and can be ..way better than we currently are...and it frustrates the hell out of me.
Basically it is time and effort I am asking for...and others or the other, thinks everything is fine.
If I wanted to just turn up and run through the songs..there are loads of deps gigs I could do... I am pretty sure...

It is a war atm............. but this is the investment I made when I started all this. Otherwise, why bother..??

But will one member miss me...? he has already suggested that if I am not happy maybe I should do something else..
but I also know that the band would probably lose me and two others and wouldn't be able to survive that..IMO.

Plus I know all the guys round here..as I put it together in the first place.
If I let them loose on booking deps or replacements...the band would likely suffer, IMO.

Maybe we will see soon enough, anyway..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1329831958' post='1548047']
But will one member miss me...? he has already suggested that if I am not happy maybe I should do something else..
but I also know that the band would probably lose me and two others and wouldn't be able to survive that..IMO.

Plus I know all the guys round here..as I put it together in the first place.
If I let them loose on booking deps or replacements...the band would likely suffer, IMO.

Maybe we will see soon enough, anyway..??
[/quote]

I know this scenario JTUK, you feel caught between a rock and a hard place yeah?
Maybe its not you that needs to do something else.. maybe it is.
If the rest of the band are happy with the same old gigs and the same old set, theres little you can do to convince them I'm afraid. But if its just one person, who seems to have control of the others, try asking each person privately what they'd rather do. If you have the support of the majority then you need to find a new member, if you don't then you either need to find a new band or put up with it...
Sure there will be some other bass player who is happy to come along ang do the same old set in the same old pubs, but if you ain't happy theres no reason to stick with it unless its your source of income.

There are many many musicians out there - you just have to find the right ones.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1329821718' post='1547766']
....I'd be hard to replace - I'm the only band member with a vehicle large enough to cart the PA around....
[/quote]

You're still not safe!!

The previous cover band was run by a totally inept "person". He owned the PA and carried it to gigs, got all the gigs and owned the website. He just couldn't play!

He was awful and as we couldn't sack him, the whole band left and formed another cover band.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1329837981' post='1548231']
You're still not safe!!

The previous cover band was run by a totally inept "person". He owned the PA and carried it to gigs, got all the gigs and owned the website. He just couldn't play!

He was awful and as we couldn't sack him, the whole band left and formed another cover band.
[/quote]

Oh dear, that's me finished then!

My PA, my rehearsal space and my band.......... and I only play G, D and A :lol:

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1329818917' post='1547696']
Got anything lined up Mr C?

You can always reform Sensation=blue/grey...........
[/quote]
I mentioned that once and thought I got away with it

Besides electric blue chelsea boots and 32 pleat Bowie trousers don't suit me so well these days

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1329834098' post='1548109']
I know this scenario JTUK, you feel caught between a rock and a hard place yeah?
Maybe its not you that needs to do something else.. maybe it is.
If the rest of the band are happy with the same old gigs and the same old set, theres little you can do to convince them I'm afraid. But if its just one person, who seems to have control of the others, try asking each person privately what they'd rather do. If you have the support of the majority then you need to find a new member, if you don't then you either need to find a new band or put up with it...
Sure there will be some other bass player who is happy to come along ang do the same old set in the same old pubs, but if you ain't happy theres no reason to stick with it unless its your source of income.

There are many many musicians out there - you just have to find the right ones.
[/quote]

I have decided to go to our next meet and put this spat on the burner. The band has come too far in too short a while to throw it away easily so I will settle
for majority decisions on all things.

I may also start to get my other idea in motion and since I know who is about and what they can do I will have reasonable hopes that that wil work ok as well.
The only probklem would be that everyone there would have other things to compete with their time ( musically ) so that will be bring its own set of frustrations.
Musicality not being one of them...as always it is politics and general stuff..
so no nuclear option on band A..I am not there yet..!