Why become a member? ×

London

tom1946

+1 for the Eye and the London Aquarium. I think it's cheaper to book the Eye on line than queue up and buy a ticket on the day.

Duck Tours URL: http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/

Most of the museums will involve a fair bit of walking. For musical instruments, you want either the V&A or the Horniman museum, which has a fantastic collection of instruments but is a bit of a trek to get to.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1329053629' post='1536484']
Thinking about the Natural History museum? Planetarium? London zoo?
[/quote]

Nat Hist Mus is totally the balls, as is the new London Planetarium (located near Greenwich Observatory - definitely worth a look as well while you're there). The Maritime Museum (just down the hill) is brilliant, too. Went to London Zoo recently and was a bit disappointed frankly, and it's a [i]lot [/i]of walking.

Edited by discreet

Hey Tom. Looks like everyone has it covered here. Eye is great!

If you're heading for bagels on brick lane, I highly recommend you download the brick lane tour and stick it on an ipod/iphone/mp3player (if you have one) at www.soundmap.co.uk - completely free and absolutely superb. About an hour long - not much walking, just zigzagging along brick lane learning about the irish, jewish and bangladeshi history - completely fascinating. Have fun!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1329052483' post='1536459']
If I hadn't been to London before and only had a day I wouldn't want to spend it looking at bass guitars. I'd check out the tourist things - pick from Tower of London, Westminster Palace, The Eye, Tate Modern, South Bank, Borough Market, Museums of all descriptions - the list goes on of really well presented, top class places to go and see. London is an absolutely wonderful city with a long and diverse history often taken for granted - I know I do as it is on my doorstep.
[/quote]

I'd agree, I love London and if you don't get here very often I would do some of the above and not spend it in a music shop. A travel card, decent guide book and a Sunday in the City of London is always worth while.

Agree with the museum tips - but a recent visit to the NHM on a weekend meant lots of queues both outside an in, and very busy inside.

(Don't go in the main front door of the NHM btw. There is a lesser-known entrance on the east side, on Exhibition Road. If you get to the Science Museum when approaching from South Ken tube, you've gone too far)

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1329136584' post='1537546']
Agree with the museum tips - but a recent visit to the NHM on a weekend meant lots of queues both outside an in, and very busy inside.

(Don't go in the main front door of the NHM btw. There is a lesser-known entrance on the east side, on Exhibition Road. If you get to the Science Museum when approaching from South Ken tube, you've gone too far)
[/quote]

Shhh.. don't tell everyone about the side entrance :lol:

Was at the gallery on Friday.

Tried a lovely Warwick Katana. Amazing sound from it ridiculously punchy and a dingwall combustion(?) which was lovely to play but didn't have the same punch. I left and realised I hadn't tried the Bongo that I'd intended to try.... Damn!

Edited by charic

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1329136584' post='1537546']

[/quote]

Isnt there a doorway that connects both museums? I know there used to be but thats going back years.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1329052483' post='1536459']
If I hadn't been to London before and only had a day I wouldn't want to spend it looking at bass guitars. I'd check out the tourist things - pick from Tower of London, Westminster Palace, The Eye, Tate Modern, South Bank, Borough Market, Museums of all descriptions - the list goes on of really well presented, top class places to go and see. London is an absolutely wonderful city with a long and diverse history often taken for granted - I know I do as it is on my doorstep.
[/quote]

There's a really great day out to be had if you follow some of these notes above.

Kick off in Borough Market just for the atmosphere, plenty of places to stop off nearby for a coffee or home made cake (maybe even start at Monument station & stroll across London Bridge to the market)

Walk through to the river & see the Golden Hind & maybe Clink Prison Museum

Head down the river to Tate Modern

It's too far to walk to London Eye but a short cab ride or walk to Southwark Tube & 1 stop to Waterloo.

If you've still got any energy / time left then stroll across Westminster Bridge to see Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey etc.

Alternative route might be to start in Westminster, across the bridge to Londen Eye, tube it from Waterloo to London Bridge & lunch around Borough Market. Then walk across London Bridge & round to the Tower of London. This route misses Tate Modern but if you're not into strolling around art museums then it's maybe best avoided anyway.

One other nice day out is Covent Garden, Soho, Leicester Square & down to Trafalgar Square - really not far to walk to see the heart of all of this & loads of places to eat & drink. Would allow you to do Denmark Street as well.

Edited by molan

A couple of things i dont think have been mentioned yet (im probably wrong.
If driving in to central london.....dont. Try and park outside, or at best bring lots of money.
If coming in by train, and i assume that will be in to Fenchurch street, then you will be closest to the Tower of London part of town. Maybe plan from that area, heading out towards the eye as thats at the other end of the river walk, although the tube connections are good and its easy to get to the NHM etc from tower hill.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1329138243' post='1537595']
If coming in by train, and i assume that will be in to Fenchurch street, then you will be closest to the Tower of London part of town. Maybe plan from that area, heading out towards the eye as thats at the other end of the river walk, although the tube connections are good and its easy to get to the NHM etc from tower hill.
[/quote]

Indeed, yes. Basildon is on the c2c line into Fenchurch St (about 35mins) and c2c do lots of 'two-fers' for entrance fees, trips etc

[url="http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/offers/london/london_2for1"]http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/offers/london/london_2for1[/url]

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1329053629' post='1536484']
Watching this thread with interest as i am taking my two daughters aged 5 and 7 up to "the smoke" for the first time soon. I am a Londoner but moved away years ago and don't go back very often so am unfamiliar with the attractions (not Elvis')

Eye sounds good. As does the boat trip.

Thinking about the Natural History museum? Planetarium? London zoo?

edit for spelling...
[/quote]
There's a marine exhibit by the south bank of Westminster bridge that's worth a visit. If you're wanting to go on the eye - book online in advance as its much quicker when you get there. River cruises also cheaper online in advance

Not exactly an attraction but more of a distraction (for bored kids) is Namco in the old County Hall building almost opposite the Wheel, it's huge but you wouldn't know it as the entrance is quite small and often hidden by the crowds of tourists, you can get a Costa coffee or a beer while the kids have a go on the bumper cars or do a bit of bowling etc.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1329124596' post='1537291']
Phew! I think we need a month to do this justice :blink:

[/quote]Yeah, it's a big, big place and has had lots of years to add interesting things or for things to become interesting. There are few, if any, other cities that can match it for size, attractions and history.

Ok, guitar shops are out sadly. Going with daughter & son in law + wife so best keep to the touristy things.

Travelling by train from Laindon station leaving my car there. Will that still arrive at fenchurch? Where is the science museum from there? I think the eye and Sci mus are the main places + anything else nearby there That I can manage.
I'm pretty hopeless finding & correlating info on this blessed machine. :(

Science and NHM museum will be on the Circle or District line from Tower hill, thats right next door to Fenchurch street station (more or less). You need to get off at South Kensington.
The Eye is near Waterloo station, sort of in the middle of Fenchurch st and South Ken.

Its probably a good idea to goolge these places and make a note of their address, and get hold of a tube map.

Edited by dave_bass5

You can see future weekend's tube closures here: [url="http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/track.aspx?offset=weekend"]http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/track.aspx?offset=weekend[/url] - click on "future dates" to select when you'll be travelling. Sadly the Circle and District are often partially closed at weekends. If they're closed then I suggest either the Central line from Liverpool St or Jubilee Line from London Bridge to get westwards. Bit of a wander though. A cross-town bus will take ages.