Why become a member? ×

London

tom1946

We are going to stay at our daughters for a couple of days in Basildon next week and are planning a day in London.
Can anyone recommend a good music shop? I've never been to Denmark st or even London in my life (I'm 65) so wouldn't like to miss an opportunity.

Is the Eye worth a rotation? Any other 'must see's'? Can't walk very far these days.

Thanks guys.

As a bass player you really owe it to yourself to get over to The Gallery in Camden if you can. You can get there by tube to Camden Town and 5 minutes' walk up the Camden Road. If that's too far there's an overland rail station called Camden Central (I think), and the shop is only a couple of hundred yards from there.

Denmark Street is almost across the road from the nearest tube station (Charing Cross if I remember correctly) - not the place it used to be I'm told but still worth a visit because of it's history. Also, it's round the corner from Oxford Street - probably the most famous shopping street in the country.

Can't speak to any of London's more recent attractions as I've never seen them.

Hope that helps. Have a great day!

I'm headed to London in a few weeks.. might give this Gallery place a bash. Gotta be better than Denmark Street in general - I went for a look in a few places along there last time I was down and couldn't even get the time of day. I think they must have a silent alarm behind the counter that signals the presence of obvious northerners!

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1329038456' post='1536209']
I think they must have a silent alarm behind the counter that signals the presence of obvious northerners!
[/quote]

No - the alarm signals that a person is present.

The Gallery is great - be nice and you might get a cup of tea.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1329034532' post='1536185']
As a bass player you really owe it to yourself to get over to The Gallery in Camden if you can. You can get there by tube to Camden Town and 5 minutes' walk up the Camden Road. If that's too far there's an overland rail station called Camden Central (I think), and the shop is only a couple of hundred yards from there.

Denmark Street is almost across the road from the nearest tube station (Charing Cross if I remember correctly) - not the place it used to be I'm told but still worth a visit because of it's history. Also, it's round the corner from Oxford Street - probably the most famous shopping street in the country.
[/quote]

+1 for the Gallery.

Tottenham Court Road tube station for Denmark St, you'll emerge into the building site of the Crossrail construction. Check out this pic: [url="http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/vistas/tube_tottenham_court_road.htm"]http://www.streetsen..._court_road.htm[/url] - pan the picture full right, turn right where the lady in the white coat is. Follow your nose from there - it's less than 2 mins walk from the station.

If you're in the area then also worth a look might be Chappell on Wardour St; Ivor Mairant and Hobgoblin on Rathbone Place.

Edited by toneknob

Camden is awesome, I love visiting that place. Theres loads of great food places there and if he's there, theres a great donut cart which is well worth the visit. If you like architecture, visit the Lloyds building, preferably at night and the design museum is good to. If you're there on a Sunday pop into the Barbican, they usually have free foyer gigs.

Dan

Thanks for the correction. I can picture the station exit but haven't been there for years and took an educated guess knowing somebody would correct me if it was wrong. I kind of remember the view - Euston station at the far end of TCR I seem to remember....?

Edited by leftybassman392

Denmark st is one of those places with definite history but I think the people behind the counters think they themselves are steeped in the history too. The bass shop has to be the most unfriendly place you are likely to visit which is the second reason for visiting if you are nearby. If i'm passing i will pop down there for the humour factor. I dare you to pick up a bass without asking for their guided permission first! They are such muppets its really funny.

Rich

Another vote for The Gallery here. A river boat trip will take in a good few sights in one excursion. A walk round the tiny back streets of the City (the Bank of England area) is good fun too as its a real step in time, take a map though. I actually find it hard to recommend things in London from a tourist's perspective having lived and worked in or close for so long. A flick through a guide book will give some good ideas. Personally I find Denmark St depressing and tacky.

If you're going to The Gallery and you're of the senior persuasion (I'm not [i][b]that [/b][/i]far behind you) then bear in mind that (i) it is a long walk from anywhere interesting, (ii) you won't believe it's the best bass boutique in London when you see it from the outside, and (iii) inside it is very cramped and difficult to move around - if you need a walking stick or something then I'd recommend giving it a miss.

If you're keen, then I suggest getting a black cab to take you there from the West End (or wherever) and don't be put off by the[color=#b22222][i][b] Fort Knox / We're Closed - Go Away [/b][/i][/color]exterior.

If I hadn't been to London before and only had a day I wouldn't want to spend it looking at bass guitars. I'd check out the tourist things - pick from Tower of London, Westminster Palace, The Eye, Tate Modern, South Bank, Borough Market, Museums of all descriptions - the list goes on of really well presented, top class places to go and see. London is an absolutely wonderful city with a long and diverse history often taken for granted - I know I do as it is on my doorstep.

Watching this thread with interest as i am taking my two daughters aged 5 and 7 up to "the smoke" for the first time soon. I am a Londoner but moved away years ago and don't go back very often so am unfamiliar with the attractions (not Elvis')

Eye sounds good. As does the boat trip.

Thinking about the Natural History museum? Planetarium? London zoo?

edit for spelling...

Edited by BottomE

Oh I forgot to mention! There is an awesome bagel shop on Brick Lane I think it is, some one may need to correct me on this. It's open literally 24/7, I don't remember seeing locks on the door. Dad used to wake us up at 3am, "come on lets get some bagels!". I swear I saw 2 hardcore punks come in, followed by 2 armed police officers, followed by a couple of paramedics!

Dan

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1329053629' post='1536484']
Planetarium? [/quote]

Don't even think about it. The queue for Madame Tussauds has to be seen to be believed ... and all for something that was a cutting-edge attraction in 1797. :rolleyes:

The actual Planetarium is - I believe - long closed down.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1329057812' post='1536554']

Don't even think about it. The queue for Madame Tussauds has to be seen to be believed ... and all for something that was a cutting-edge attraction in 1797. :rolleyes:

The actual Planetarium is - I believe - long closed down.
[/quote]Yep sad but true, on both counts.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1329056039' post='1536533']
Oh I forgot to mention! There is an awesome bagel shop on Brick Lane I think it is, some one may need to correct me on this. It's open literally 24/7, I don't remember seeing locks on the door. Dad used to wake us up at 3am, "come on lets get some bagels!". I swear I saw 2 hardcore punks come in, followed by 2 armed police officers, followed by a couple of paramedics!
[/quote]

Yes, The Brick Lane Beigel Bake... smoked salmon & cream cheese bagels at 3am after a gig is a real tonic. The staff be a tad humourless at that time of the morning, but who wouldn't be faced with long queues of London's flotsam and jetsam at that ungodly hour? Reminds me of Wong Kei's in Wardour Street. Back in the 80's I used to go there just to be entertained by how insulting the staff were! :lol:

I live just off the Southbank so all my suggestions are based on this area.
If you do go to on the Eye (definitely recommended) you also have the London Aquarium just next door. A bit further along you get to the South bank center. Not much happening at the moment along there but its a really nice walk if the weathers good.
Other things to try are the Duck Tours, this a quite a nice experience, especially the river section. Its a trip around the center of london in a amphibious vehicle, so it takes in the road and part fo the River Thames.

Some other attractions in this area are here
[url="http://www.london-se1.co.uk/attractions/"]http://www.london-se1.co.uk/attractions/[/url]