Why become a member? ×

London

tom1946

It's a bit of a walk from South Kensington tube but it is the nearest. Covent Garden is very nice if a bit touristy in the courtyard area on the lower ground floor you often get artists singing some of the classic popular operatic pieces. The natural reverb of the area adds to the vocal experience. Sit and have a coffee or something stronger and relax for a while.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1329033976' post='1536179']
We are going to stay at our daughters for a couple of days in Basildon next week and are planning a day in London.
Can anyone recommend a good music shop? I've never been to Denmark st or even London in my life (I'm 65) so wouldn't like to miss an opportunity.

Is the Eye worth a rotation? Any other 'must see's'? Can't walk very far these days.

Thanks guys.
[/quote]

If you are getting the train in keep your ticket and you can get 2 for 1 on the eye,

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1329053629' post='1536484']
...taking my two daughters aged 5 and 7...

Thinking about the Natural History museum? Planetarium? London zoo?
[/quote]

Science Museum is extremely kid friendly. Depends what they're into, but my 7 yr old (boy) loves it.

Another one for kids of all ages: the London Transport Museum. Full of buses, trams, tubes and trains and general history of getting about. It's tucked into the south-east corner of the Covent Garden Piazza. Keep your ticket - it's valid for a year.

If you like champagne... and amazing views... [url="http://www.tower42.com/#/services/food-and-drink/vertigo-42/"]Tower 42[/url] (the old Natwest building in the City) is a short walk from Liverpool St, or Bank and is worth it. Last time I went the champagne wasn't that expensive either really. You've got to book though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329154248' post='1538015']
An oxymoron, surely? :D
[/quote]

:lol:

This is just amazing!
Thank you all so much for the info, we have an Ipad 2 now so we'll carry that around and use this thread for a reference book. Hell, I'll never remember all this :lol:

Just one more question, I have a mobility scooter, just a smallish one and am trying to work out if its worth taking it with us? How scooter/disabled friendly is the area we're going to?
It would make my life tons better if I could use it.

Edited by tom1946

The river walk will be fine for a scooter, It's all pretty much flat walkway the whole way along, there are even lifts around the south bank area so you can access the higher parts like the festival hall. The eye has access ramps as well.
The tourist areas of London are pretty accessible, but not actually needing any of that it's hard to tell just how easy it is.

You could put all these suggestions as pins in to the Apple maps app before leaving. Even if you don't have a 3G iPad you will at least get a list of places and be able to see where they all are in relation to each other.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1329201900' post='1538585']
Just one more question, I have a mobility scooter, just a smallish one and am trying to work out if its worth taking it with us? How scooter/disabled friendly is the area we're going to?
It would make my life tons better if I could use it.
[/quote]

The roads around the NHM and the Science museum have been semi-pedestrianised recently - there's loads more space. Roads are the same levels as pavements, and pedestrians have right of way. The South Bank is quite open as well, but can get busy. There are ramps everywhere.

Tube maps show all the easy-access stations.

Yeah i can second the Gallery, it's a little gem. Im lucky enough to live close enough to walk there and just had my Precision worked on there too, it's worth it, make sure you go downstairs and take a peek where the most beautiful Sei basses are made and go cat spotting !

Other than that yes if you've never been, the 100yds of Denmark st will keep you busy for some time, I cant remember the name now, but make sure to go into the vintage shop up the "north" end near the Intrepid Fox and wind your way up the stairs to the top floor, where you will find some of the wackies looking vintage guitars ever, Jack Daniels shape and the like..

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1329213192' post='1538719']
Yeah i can second the Gallery, it's a little gem. Im lucky enough to live close enough to walk there and just had my Precision worked on there too, it's worth it, make sure you go downstairs and take a peek where the most beautiful Sei basses are made and go cat spotting !

Other than that yes if you've never been, the 100yds of Denmark st will keep you busy for some time, I cant remember the name now, but make sure to go into the vintage shop up the "north" end near the Intrepid Fox and wind your way up the stairs to the top floor, where you will find some of the wackies looking vintage guitars ever, Jack Daniels shape and the like..
[/quote]

OP has already said Guitar shops are out as he will be with his family.

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1329213192' post='1538719']
[/quote]

Used to be Andy's, now Hanks. Hanks used to be a few doors down, but they got shunted out and that shop is now either another Wunjo or the new Westside. Or is Westside where Music Ground used to be... Or maybe where the Bass Cellar used to be. Argh. And I was only there on Saturday.

Anyway since Andy's became Hanks, I'm not sure if the multitude of selection that was in Andy's is still there, seeing as Hanks was acoustic-only.

Oh and Denmark St runs east-west, Hanks/Andy's is at the east end :D

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1329187019' post='1538573']
If you like champagne... and amazing views... [url="http://www.tower42.com/#/services/food-and-drink/vertigo-42/"]Tower 42[/url] (the old Natwest building in the City) is a short walk from Liverpool St, or Bank and is worth it. Last time I went the champagne wasn't that expensive either really. You've got to book though.
[/quote]

It is great up there.