Why become a member? ×

Most hateful song on your covers bands set list?

Dave Tipping

[quote name='achknalligewelt' timestamp='1361811452' post='1991261']
In my old band, we had a three song Rolling Stones block - Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women and Start Me Up. I would tune out, daydream for a bit and then tune back in 10 minutes later to find my hands had played the entire section without any input from my brain at all. I cannot communicate how much I [i]hate [/i]the Rolling Stones.
[/quote]Oh thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you [i]thank you[/i]. I was starting to think I was the only person in the world who hates them as much as I do.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1361814563' post='1991332']
I dont mind the Stones. Certainly there are a few of their songs that are rotten , but its the Beatles that I hate. I just never got their thing at all. I realise that Im in the minority, but I just cant stand their stuff and Paul McCartney annoys the f*** out of me!
[/quote]

I think there's a 30 or so page thread you should see :D Back on topic.

The Proclaimers - 500 Miles.

We had 2 guitarists and I actually refused to play it, even out of all the other guff on the setlist. Just walked off stage, got a drink and left everyone else to it. Thankfully it was just for 1 gig and I've never had to play it again.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1357913241' post='1930481']
I sing the theme to True Blood - think it's called Bad Things. I'm bored to death with it but keep getting outvoted. I introduce it as 'who wants to hear a song off the telly?' so I've taken to following that up by singing the first bit of the Jim'll Fix it tune in the hope that the rest of the band will drop it on grounds of bad taste. Sadly they're as sick as me so we're still doing it.

Rodders sings a ZZ Top album track too so he can toss himself off with the extended solo. It's pointless but he won't drop it even though Mart and myself are shameless about cocking it up on purpose every night.
[/quote]
My ex band did "Bad Things" and I'm now hating it, also "American Girl" by Tom Petty.
Anything by Morrisey/the Smiths, stone roses or Oasis is enough to make me turn down a band now.
Probably why I'm unemployed/unemployable. :P
I also now hate "fell in love with a boy" by joss stone, dull dull tune.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1361812804' post='1991294']
Oh thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you [i]thank you[/i]. I was starting to think I was the only person in the world who hates them as much as I do.
[/quote]
+ 1 I forgot I also hate these, tho strangely I love the piss take of the stones in "Stella Street" that used to.be on tv.

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1328478383' post='1527885']
'Knock on wood' from last band, still gives me the eebeegeebeegees every time I hear it!
[/quote]

AHHH.... change it for this,,, they will never know ;) ..well maybe a bit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIGMUAMevH0

[quote name='Slatfatf' timestamp='1361836818' post='1991883']
Mr Brightside, cack song..

I enjoy playing the bass part to it though.
[/quote]

I've just formed a new acid jazz/breakbeat band & our 1st get together with all of us is tomorrow. I did ask everyone to choose a song or 2 that they'd like to cover. The singer is the only one who's so far came back with a song, yesterday he sent me - Mr [s]Sh[/s]Brightside!
I suppose it might make a good drum n' bass/dubstep song. Just listened to it again, maybe not.

My first gig with a new band last weekend included, among many others:

Mr Brightside
Sex On Fire
Dakota
Valerie

Feel free to snigger at will. Those of you in pub covers bands would have been pleased to have had the same number of people dancing in front of you and the pub as busy as it was for us. If you're not prepared to be a pole dancing clown whore find another type of gig.

[quote name='WhoNeedsYou' timestamp='1361832780' post='1991805']
So true, I said this to an ex band mate and kept getting told "well you can't please everyone can you!"
[/quote]

The response that I got from the singer was "well it's not about you it's what the audience would enjoy". He then in the same spate of email exchanges said that he wouldn't do a particular Wham song as that would be a step too far fror him. I rest my case

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1357922539' post='1930716']
This will probably put you off your tea - I couldn't eat for several days and considered chucking myself off a bridge - but I once heard in a shop on a CD of bagpipe music. It was possibly the most horrific moment of my life. Even the main riff was played on that horrid instrument - in fact I'm off to throw up just thinking about that awful day.
[/quote]

Eye of the tiger played on bagpipes?
Why would a shop want all their customers to run away in pain?

Most hated covers - sweet home alabama - jumping jack flash - what's going on - I can see clearly now - brown eyed girl - wonderwall

Edited by megallica

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1361872375' post='1992077']

He then in the same spate of email exchanges said that he wouldn't do a particular Wham song as that would be a step too far fror him. I rest my case
[/quote]
I would rather play/learn all the wham back catalogue than most of my last setlist!
I was also told its about
"what the audience wants, not what we like"
and in the same turn (when lots of rehearsals & not much money/gigs occurred) ,
"we aren't doing it for for the money are we, just cos we enjoy it"
:-o I must have missed the point along the way :-p

As with most things in life it's striking a happy balance between doing the things you like to do and enjoy and doing something that is useful to someone else so that they employ you or use your services. If you have a well paid job that results in the money coming in from gigs being a minor thing then obviously you want to do a larger proportion of music that you personally get a kick out of playing. That doesn't always mean it has to be music that is in itself highly rewarding artistically. It can be a source of enjoyment just from the audience reaction. There are songs I get a kick out of from a performing aspect that I wouldn't really listen to for personal musical enjoyment while in the car or cycling to work. I'm sure that's true for a number of people on here. If it gets to the point where you loathe going out to play a set that is going down well then you need to review your position. If it's a set that is getting poor responses then the set needs the review too.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1361871631' post='1992060']
If you're not prepared to be a pole dancing clown whore find another type of gig.
[/quote]

+1

The songs in our set that are looking a bit tired have all been mentioned....
Valerie, SoF, Centerfold, Dakota, I got a feeling, Mustang sally.

From our singer / set list master recently....

[quote]
For the Dibbfest one, I thought we could resurrect a few oldies as we will be playing to quite a few people who have seen us recently.

Can you take a look at dusting off:
Saturday Night’s Alright
Are you gonna be my girl
If you wanna
Common People
Mustang Sally
It’s not unusual
[/quote]

I'm thinking there's a reason we haven't played them recently...

[quote name='achknalligewelt' timestamp='1361811452' post='1991261']
In my old band, we had a three song Rolling Stones block - Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women and Start Me Up. I would tune out, daydream for a bit and then tune back in 10 minutes later to find my hands had played the entire section without any input from my brain at all. I cannot communicate how much I [i]hate [/i]the Rolling Stones.
[/quote]

This may amuse you.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8CtWUY7nvg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8CtWUY7nvg[/url]