Why become a member? ×

2 days to learn 25 songs - any tips?

Davo-London

Hey

I deputise in a band every now and then on drums.

This week the resident bassist cuts his hand up on a glass.

So I get the call. We have a corporate function in 3 days, can you play bass?

Well I've been playing bass for 35 years so in principle I can play the music but learning 25 songs in 3 days????

So any tips out there to short-cut the laborius effort required?

Cheers
Davo

Write out some quick and dirty lead sheets, marking the chord changes, and any significant points in the songs (stabs etc.) + a sample bass line for the first couple of bars of each section.

Unless they have memorable bass lines that need to be dead on - then it's just a case of cramming!

Get your head down?

I don't think that cheat sheets would be unacceptable at this short notice.

Don't worry about simplifying down any parts that you can't get sorted in the timeframe, as long as the groove keeps coming then you'll be fine - people tend to get well oiled at these corporate dos so as long as they recognise the tunes then everything'll be OK. I did ska covers for my first proper gig - it was a birthday party and I criminally simplified some of the songs but got lots of people up dancing so it all worked out fine in the end.

I recently had (still on going) a similar mountain to climb, a set full of show tunes and songs from musicals. Although I've had a longer time , I've also had to learn to sight read. I just played through the set as often as possible, don't worry about getting it perfect for now, just try and get some improvement each time you play the tunes.

I'd add to the above by putting the songs on your mp3 player, and on a cd in your car etc and when you can't be playing them, be listening to them. Familiarity with the material will get you a long way when you're wondering which bit is next, and I've busked through dep gigs for originals bands with one quick practice and a day or two of concentrated listening.

Good luck!

+1 to all of the above.

I've just done something similar for two deps (20+ songs for each band... no cross over of any tracks but fairly easy songs as they are just typical rock/blues type tracks), the only difficulty was songs that I have never heard before and had no prior knowledge of! One thing I asked was that any songs that I was totally unfamiliar with, could we make sure that I wasn't the one bringing the song in i.e. guitar or keys to go through a pattern once if possible.

Lots of cheat sheets with basic annotation and listening to stuff in the car to and from work etc.

Hard work but I've thoroughly enjoyed it. ;)

First off, establish that all songs are going to be true to the original key.

From there, it`s a case of head down, and a lot of learning. In my mind, it`s better in this situation to learn all the songs with root-notes, and keep the band ticking over, than get caught up in learning intricate bass-lines - unless they are the main melody line of the song that is, and essential to the song.

As above, but try to tier them down. Which songs really don`t you know and which songs do you know? Spend more time on the known unknowns ( ;) ) get the songs everywhere, in the car, the bog, work, wherever.
Intros are most important, like flying a plane once you`re up and running it`s a lot easier to remember,so remember them!
Cheat sheets,loads but in a nice easy access file so no spillage and fluster. Get it organised,you can do it.
Good luck and get off this forum!

Can you read?

You don't need to transcribe whole tunes, but some tricky or unison sections should be written down, so all you'd have to do is read through them, and not kill yourself with trying to memorise (and, in 3 days, you would [i]not [/i]memorize it) them.

Don't those guys in the band have lead sheets with chords, song structures written out?
This is the main thing - having those. They should be giving you lead sheets without asking, but if they don't have 'em, you'll have to write them out yourself. Or ask a guitar/piano player to do that, as it's in really short notice, and they should be helping you. Unless you've been offered 500 bucks, so that you should do the job yourself :)

Write out the main bass grooves at the top of each sheet, as a rhythm (2 or four bars usually are enough to get the idea during the gig), so that you don't need to worry about remembering different bass rhythms/grooves for each song.

Get the tunes to your Mp3 or car CD player, and listen to them over and over when you have a chance.

Edited by Faithless

Hey, I'm at work ... can't you tell? I can't practice now - even I wouldn't do that!!! Even though the director is in the band : )

I'm told they are all in the original key so that's cool.

Just saw the last post. Yes I can read, but I usually work from chord sheets. I find that's the best compromise between constant reading and running around the stage doing a goose-step.

Davo

Edited by Davo-London

If you know the songs/set as per drumming them..and you have been playing bass for years..
you should be able to hear 99% of the changes anyway..so all you need to do is make a prompt or two..??

Most of this is about how the songs goes..which you know....so charts aren't really needed..but write the set out
with keys per songs anyway...and any dificult changes like m8's ect ect

watchin people on youtube play the songs is good for me.
just learnt fairytale of new york by watchin some kid play it and scribblin down rough notes. few nice wee runs etc in it and im playin it on thurs night so had to get it in my head quick!
tab is quick and easy but sometimes feels like cheatin and i never fully learn a song without weening myself back off it again.
run it over and over and get it in the muscle memory!
good luck

I've been in a similar situation a couple of times before. It is very easy to spend time playing the songs that you find easier as most people tend to avoid the more difficult things if something simpler is available so what I do is to create a spread sheet (or similar) with a list of all the songs in the set and then I colour code them. Green if I am comfortable with the song, Orange if I can play it with a chart and Red if I don't know it. Now I can see at a glance what I really should be practicing. It also gives you a sense of satisfaction and progress as you see the list turn to green.
As mentioned above I also create CDs and playlists so that I can be listening to the tunes in the car and at work.