Why become a member? ×

Hercules Mini Guitar Stands?

Linus27

No problems with them, they collapse down pretty good for transportation, seem solid and reliable. Bear in mind that they're only designed to keep your bass off the floor and not much else, they're not big enough to perform miracles of stability, but as long as no-one plays sillybuggers near it then you should be fine.

dont see why people are having problems with these and jazz basses. Dont leave it at an angle because that just hightens the risk of it falling over. I have it so that the back part is off centre, about an inch and a half. It never falls over and even if you knock it, it would have to take a fair bit of force for it to move

I have a Hercules stand (not the one pictured). Folds up nice and compact, but the foam on one of the arms has worn out, which basically means the bass sits on the metal arm. Emailed the distributors for advice (wasn't asking for money back or anything, just a bit of help) and got a completely unhelpful reply saying they couldn't do anything. Won't buy any more.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1323180454' post='1460175']
None of the basses I've used it with feel really secure. I certainly wouldn't trust it to keep a bass of any kind standing upright in a gig situation.
[/quote]

this is my impression of them - i've put my bass on one before and just went 'no'.

ive got the one that when the guitar headstock is placed in the holder the yolk closes and keeps it secure and it sits on the foam at the bottom its height
adjustable too for bass or normal guitar ive had mine for about 4yrs now and it still looks good id recommend them as good value and quite compact when folded

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1323207540' post='1460674']
1/2 " pipe foam insulation and duct tape can be used to effect a repair!
[/quote]

Yeah, I will probably have to do something like that with it. I just sort of hoped they might be able to supply some of the proper stuff (I don't think it's standard pipe insulation they use), or point me in the right direction, but all I got was a very short 'we can't do anything'.

The problem I have with these is that there is too much play in the back support. With something large and heavy like a solid body bass it leans back rather more than looks safe. It might be small and easy to pack and carry, but IMO it only provides marginally more support and protection than leaning your bass against the amp which is free and takes up even less room in your gig bag!

I've got a bunch of these, and have never had any problems with them. The bigger size works great with acoustics & my mandolin, while the smaller ones are fine for basses. I have a bridge ash-tray on my Jazz and find that if I seat the bass on the stand with the edge of the ash-tray up against the right-hand arm of the stand, the bass sits straight and stable.

I'm less keen on the taller hanging stands Hercules produce like this: [url="http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS412B.html"]http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS412B.html[/url] although my problem with them is the users, rather than the stands. I've lost count of the number of guitarists I've seen try and balance their instrument on top of the little stick-out back rest, and then watch in horror (and complain bitterly!) as it falls on to the floor. Read the instructions, fool.

I've always found them a bit unstable, especially with basses.

If you want a much more stable stand, that's very compact, I would go for an Ultimate GS200 personally. [url="http://www.ultimatesupport.com/product/GS-200"]http://www.ultimatesupport.com/product/GS-200[/url]

The one thing that bugged me with this stand is that my strap would sometimes go under it and when i took the bass off the stand the stand would come with it. I also found that with my strap on the floor, my transmitter would get trodden on.
I now use the hanging stand but keep the small one as a spare.