Why become a member? ×

Fender vs Warwick

CaioBM

Hey, bass brothers.

I'm gonna buy a new bass, and I came to my ultimate
decision (kind of).

It's Warwick Corvette Standard vs Road Worn P vs Road Worn J.

I'm new to the forum, so I would just like to know your opinion, and
what other bass guitars you would recommend.

Not sure about road worn ones but i have both Warwick Thumb and a Jazz and both have good reasons to buy however i curently tend to use my Jazz simply because it has a more suited tone for my current classic rock covers band. My Warwick has a distinct low - mid sound which doesn't always suit classic rock. IMO.

I love both but make sure you try before buying and that you are a 100% sure before handing over the cash.

Good luck
Dave

All three will sound like you playing it.

In the end its whether you want a painted Fender or a less common make in a wood finish. Nothing wrong with any of them.

A personal opinion, but I don't think the fake 'relic' look is going to be sought after in the future so if you're worried about resale value I at least won't be one of the customers for the Fenders you mention.

[quote name='CaioBM' timestamp='1321821910' post='1443529']
Hey, bass brothers.

I'm gonna buy a new bass, and I came to my ultimate
decision (kind of).

It's Warwick Corvette Standard vs Road Worn P vs Road Worn J.

I'm new to the forum, so I would just like to know your opinion, and
what other bass guitars you would recommend.
[/quote]

Welcome to the forum. I've owned all of the basses you've mentioned (kind of). You're comparing three distinctly different basses, all with their own characteristics and feel.

The Warwick: Lovely sounding instrument, there is something incredibly unique about Warwick and their Ovangkol necks. Lovely, grindy, growly midrange thing that they have. I wouldn't own one again though, because I'm not mad on the neck shape and Warwick isn't my thing anymore. Personal preference though.

Roadworn Jazz: Great instrument, can't help feeling like the quality control could be a lot better though for the asking price. They look the part, and you know where you stand with a good Jazz Bass. Sounded good!

Roadworn P: Sounded great, but then I am a bit of a sucker for P's. Fat, warm, punchy. My choice would probably be this out of all three, but that's just me. The worn in finish is nice too, not convincing up close but no one's going to get that close at a gig anyway!

My advice would be to go try them all out and figure out which one is best for you. Good luck with it.

[quote name='CaioBM' timestamp='1321825398' post='1443577']
Hey, thank you all for the opinions.

I don't really like the relic too, but I was sort of
interested in the fiesta red road worn version.

Oh well.

Does anybody recommend other finishes on P and J??
[/quote]

The MIM Fender classic 70s jazz is basically the same bass as the road worn jazz but for a lot less cash and much better looking but that is only my preference on the looks.

My Fender classic 70s jazz is finished in 3 tone sunburst with bound neck and block fret markers. A classic look for the jazz bass.

I gigged mine last night through a Markbass LMII and Barefaced Compact and Midget stack. What a great sound.

I've seen these 70s classics sell for less than £400 used which is a stocking bargain. Even the new price is a steal.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1321826229' post='1443596']
The MIM Fender classic 70s jazz is basically the same bass as the road worn jazz but for a lot less cash and much better looking but that is only my preference on the looks.

My Fender classic 70s jazz is finished in 3 tone sunburst with bound neck and block fret markers. A classic look for the jazz bass.

I gigged mine last night through a Markbass LMII and Barefaced Compact and Midget stack. What a great sound.

I've seen these 70s classics sell for less than £400 used which is a stocking bargain. Even the new price is a steal.

Frank.
[/quote]

I had one of these, and as Frank says, a great bass.

If you`re not over-keen on the reliced look, Fenders Classic range is very good. As above, the 70s Jazz is very good, and so is the 50s Precision - which I`ve also had. There is also a 60s Jazz - traditional pickup spacing and no blocks on the neck being the main difference from the 70s.

I bought a hand made relic jazz.. I intended it to be my back up bass and it's my main bass not.. It looks battered, but actually don't care it sounds amazing and better than some actual old J's.. do what I did and...

[b]let your ears decide[/b] not some idiots like us on basschat.. you're playing it not us :)

Clauster has a good point. I prefer the Corvette's shape to any of the Fenders, but all have good (but different) sounds.
I personally wouldn't go for any, as I think there are many better basses for around the £1k mark, But it's all down to personal taste.
Like ALG says, let your ears decide.

Not sure on the criteria you have decided on for your choices,...but I'd try and get the examples you want in the same room and play them all...and decided from there.

None of them are basses you should be buying without demo...and I'd say that about many other basses as well.
see and play the specific bass that you want...

Too many potential nasty surpises otherwise...!! IMO.

As all agree, they're three very different instruments. You should try all of them.

I owned a Warwick Thumb for a while and loved the sound of it, but a Precision feels more 'natural' to me, the way it hangs. It's easier to access the higher frets on a Warwick but at the expense of the (to me) more useful end of the fretboard feeling like it's miles away.

The Thumb was very beautifully made though.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1321955606' post='1444702']
Clauster has a good point. I prefer the Corvette's shape to any of the Fenders, but all have good (but different) sounds.
I personally wouldn't go for any, as I think there are many better basses for around the £1k mark, But it's all down to personal taste.
Like ALG says, let your ears decide.
[/quote]

But what other basses on that mark would you recommend?