Why become a member? ×

Nicest Signature Bass?

LiamPodmore

I've never played a signature bass that I've preferred over the standard version, I then usually end up lightly modding the standard model to suit me.

The only signature bass I've ever owned is a battered Marcus Miller Jazz, fundamentally a great sounding and playing bass but I've taken out the weedy sounding Fender preamp and put a standard passive tone control (and run it through my outboard Sadowsky preamp which sounds stunning). Given the chance I'd also lose the horrible MM control cover, fill the holes and put a standard Fender Jazz control plate on thus unmodding it back into a standard '75 reissue Jazz. Which is probably what I should have bought in the first place :)

Do you need to ask my opinion? :)

The Yamaha Attitude is my favourite 4 string bass hands down.

I really like signature basses for some reason (even of players who i can't stand or bands i don't like so nothing to do with band love!)

What's bad is people who play them just to copy people they idolise, using it in your own way to sound like youre self is fine!

The John Myung two signatures are great, the orginal especially.

Oh and you know that guy Dan Veall? His Shuker signature is a stunner :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1320777983' post='1431334']
Do you need to ask my opinion? :)

The Yamaha Attitude is my favourite 4 string bass hands down.
[/quote]

[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/Evilex1/P1000891.jpg[/IMG]

Yup. I Quite like mine. Didn't buy it for the Sheehan connection, just because it felt good and was (extremely) well made/finished.
Still haven't ironed out a good string choice for it (I hate Roto rounds), but am considering flats/tapewounds for it..

Two signature basses interest me. One I own, the other I'm still looking for.

The One I own is the Yamaha Terry & The Blue Jeans signature bass. Essentially a cross between an SBV and and a TRB. What I wanted was a 5 string SBV and this was the only way of getting it.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC03062.jpg[/IMG]

The other signature that I'm still looking for is the Reverend Rumblefish Brad Houser signature, in one of the more exotic finishes like Lava Swirl, Bugeye Chrome or Engine Turned Aluminium.

I have little interest in the players that these instruments were created for or their music, however the instruments themselves are exactly what I would like to play.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1320785400' post='1431495']

Yup. I Quite like mine. Didn't buy it for the Sheehan connection, just because it felt good and was (extremely) well made/finished.
Still haven't ironed out a good string choice for it (I hate Roto rounds), but am considering flats/tapewounds for it..
[/quote]

I love it when you get this piccie out :)

I loved sheehans tone, played one, had the same edge (naturally but i was checking it wasn't his fingers!) and i fell in love with the neck and body shape and the brightness. I love roto rounds BUT i had some roto flats on, and some Elxiers on and they were nice, a lot mellower the Elixers.

Attitude + Flats = Tone which sounds and feels like being punched in the gut!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1320794368' post='1431660']
Anyway Flea always played a Wal, Blah Blah Blah :)
I think Tims Pre EB Stingray had a Badass bridge too, I wonder If EBMM would make a Sig model for him with a BA bridge :)
[/quote]
And no pickguard.. they sound better with no pickguard. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1320795231' post='1431677']
And no pickguard.. they sound better with no pickguard. :)
[/quote]

Didn't I say that to you last week? :)

Also does the Lakland Darryl Jones count? I love it - Great bass, Great sound and lovely shape.

I actually own two - a Mike Dirnt which feels, sounds (custom shop p/u) and looks great and a Jack Casady which is just stunning considering the uber p bass tone it does. The Dirnt has rounds and the JC flats perfect pair. The MD doesn't have any tell tale signs its a sig and the JC is so eye catching you kinda miss the headstock scribble.

However the Reggie Hamilton Jazz is one of the nicest, most versatile basses I've had the pleasure to play. Great feel, killer eq and its a P/J!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1320777983' post='1431334']
I really like signature basses for some reason (even of players who i can't stand or bands i don't like so nothing to do with band love!)

What's bad is people who play them just to copy people they idolise, using it in your own way to sound like youre self is fine!
[/quote]

For years when I had my Kubicki Ex Factor I used to plug it in and get that awesome Stuart Hamm tone. People used to say 'why are you so obsessed with having his tone? Why not get your own?'.

It just so happened that 'his' tone was incredible, and it worked really well for me. Why settle for less, just because I heard it somewhere else first?