Why become a member? ×

Giving bassists a bad name...

Grassie

I dug it. There was some cool unison melodies,and there were some nice chops going
on.
Let's be honest,it was on a big stage with a big crowd-it was as much about entertainment and
showmanship as it was about the actual playing,but I think they did a good job of balancing
the two.

I didn't think it was too bad until about the 3 minute mark, where they broke out of the pre-rehearsed stuff into ... ahem ... improvisation. Would've probably helped if one of them held down a groove while the other clutterf*cked, rather than a clashing free for all. As someone else said, really they should just be guitards and have done with it.

Smile and say CHEESE :)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1319717995' post='1417641']I didn't think it was too bad until about the 3 minute mark, where they broke out of the pre-rehearsed stuff into ... ahem ... improvisation. Would've probably helped if one of them held down a groove while the other clutterf*cked, rather than a clashing free for all. As someone else said, really they should just be guitards and have done with it.
[/quote]
There was a groove being held down by the rest of the band(s).
Why should they be guitarists though? That was just a small section of an entire concert-they probably
spent another 2 hours grooving that night.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1319715027' post='1417570']
We used to call it "showing off" in the old days.
[/quote]Isn't that what we all do when we hit the stage(?) Isn't that the point(?) :)

Not my cup of tea...but, as Doddy says, "it was as much about entertainment and showmanship as it was about the actual playing".

Duelling basses?...why not?

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1319717313' post='1417627']
... there were some nice chops going...
[/quote]

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I thought there was some fast playing going on, but IMHO rhythmically and harmonically they were all over the place. Some of Victor Wooten's stuff leaves me personally cold, but I'd have no hesitation in saying that the guy has serious chops. But this stuff to me just sounded messy from beginning to end.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1319714608' post='1417560']
I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here and wait to get it shot down..I enjoyed it..thought both players were solid in what they did, good tone from both basses and it gave the Bassist(s) a chance to shine and come to the front instead of the guitarists..

should I duck??
[/quote]

Admittedly I'm only listening on laptop speakers but the tone sounded horrible to me - is bass not supposed to actually have some bass in it?

Stuff like this just seems like pure musical masturbation to me. No thanks.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1319717313' post='1417627']
I dug it. There was some cool unison melodies,and there were some nice chops going
on.
[/quote]

Are you digging it purely from an technical respect point of view, or does this really do something for you as an emotionally engaged listener?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1319733169' post='1417946']

Are you digging it purely from an technical respect point of view, or does this really do something for you as an emotionally engaged listener?[/quote]

I dig it for what it is.....entertainment.