Why become a member? ×

LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE WAGS!

thebrig

Just thought it would be nice to mention our long-suffering partners, who have to put up with our passion for playing.

A lot of us spend hours at rehearsals, many hours at gigs that earn very little money, and even more hours with the headphones on learning new songs, while she's trying to watch TV, and not to mention sneaking in yet another bass, just because we are too weak to resist the latest episode of GAS!

So come on guys, let's hear your tales of guilt, and your tributes to our partners who put up with us.

No guilt here. Both the bands I play with regularly rehearse at our house and Mrs FF loves it. We also frequently have 'acoustic' evenings when working on new songs. I particularly enjoy this during the cold months as we all sit around the fire and the wine flows. I try to keep all my gear in one room but it frequently spills out around the house. Fortunately, Mrs FF was brought up in a household where her father had a lathe and other tools in the sitting room with which he built his powerboat racing engines, so she is well accustomed to such things. One in a million!

Yeah, not half, Mrs 51 is a trooper, she puts up with untold hours of sound engineering too, and has a house full of bassplayers - the youngest (7 yrs) is desperate to start the music service mini-bass (a teeny weeny db!). The entire house is crammed with bass kit of one sort or another, across all three floors!

In fact she pretty much told me to stop pratting about and buy the Roscoe.... :)

Edited by 51m0n

Mrs Linus27 (AKA GirlyCM which is short for Girly Crazy Monkey) is awsome. Super supportive, loves watching me playing bass, either live or at gigs as she knows this is when I am at my happiest.

For my 40th she bought me a Stingray which replaced the one I stupidly sold when i got my record deal. She has also fronted up the money when a couple of great basses turned up and I was short of cash.

Best of all is when I was getting into bass again after a long break, we went out to look at a few basses and by chance I played a fretless Squire. The next day I came home from work to find that fretless bass in the lounge. She said you looked so natural and happy playing it that I just had to get it for you :) Three years on and I now play fretless regularly live and in the studio. Something I had always dreamed of doing so its thanks to her for making that first step for me and getting me my first fretless.

Should we post pictures of our other halfs or do you think we would get killed by them :)

Can't complain here either. I met my wife when i was looking for a gig where she worked part time.
She went to all my gigs and even ended up being the lighting / effects operator at our gigs.
She supported me back in 89 when we first met and i bought my Warwick.
She bought me my Fender as a Xmas pressie
She bought me my Overwater as a 50th birthday pressie.
She bought me my Overwater J4 as a birthday pressie.

She didn't even complain when i realised the new car i bought had a large boot but small opening and i had to buy a new lightweight rig to fit in the car.

I practice almost every night for 1-2 hrs after dinner and during weekends with band rehearsals all day Sunday. (6hrs + 2hrs travelling)
She is now looking at setting up a new lighting rig for the new classic rock band with 40channel desk.

She has always been very supportive to me and even coaxed me back into playing in bands again when i wasn't sure. It keeps me sane and de-stressed she says.
How many wives will do all that for you without a single complaint about money spent.

Love her to bits.
Dave :) :)

My wife is amazingly tolerant of my hobby. She has one simple rule when it comes to basses (and instruments in general) - instruments are to be played - so no collecting. The only basses she will not tolerate are pointy ones (Flying V, Explorer etc. - we joke and call them "divorce basses" but joking aside, she has said she will divorce me if I take home one of them).

To top it all off, she (well, her alter ego "the bass fairy") bought me a Gibson RD Artist. That's got to be all my birthdays for the next 10 years I'd say :)

My wife is very tolerant about me playing in bands, I get no grief whatsoever. On occasions she'll come to gig with me if I'm playing.

My present from her on our wedding day was my Yamaha BB500 Amp head, & she has since bought me my Epifani cabs to make life a lot easier toting my gear around.

My missus = Star! :)

It's great to hear all you chaps being so appreciative of your partners support.
My experience of actually being a WAG was this:
The Ex (a drummer) did not really like me going to gigs at all as he saw them as some sort of male bonding exercise.
If I did go along I would have to go in my own car,and not turn up too early as he didn't like me distracting him while he 'got in the zone'.
Also not sit/stand too near the front as he didn't like to see me sitting there with (and I quote!) 'a face like a slapped arse'.
Funnily enough though I was 'allowed' to help him load up the van afterwards.

Strange thing is now we have split up he quite often invites me to (drumming) gigs and of course I have actually played with him at a couple of his (guitar) gigs. But I think that's cos he now sees me as 'one of the lads'.

Funny old world innit? :)

Edited by seashell

my girlfriend is amazingly supportive of my bass playing :) and I love her to pieces for it :)

she always makes time to listen to me ramble on about one of my basses or amps, or a song I've been learning. she always encourages me to play bass around her, and really enjoys hearing me play, (she has come to all but one of my gigs since we have been together).

She has also been very supportive of me wanting to be in bands, and of me looking for new ones when things didn't work out.

Yesterday while I was at work she watched some of my live videos and covers on youtube, and asked me to teach her a couple of songs when I got home, which was really nice :)

When I first met my Kaz I only had 1 bass, a electro acoustic & a Peavey practise amp, which stood in the spare room, rarely touched. She encouraged me to take it up again so I'm eternally grateful for that & her brother in law plays guitar so we occasionally get together.

She loves me playing even if it sends her to sleep sometimes, takes an interest in my gear, I had to name my '57 White Blonde after her, (for obvious reasons), + it's a quality bit of kit :) She appreciates sound quality like no other woman I've ever known & always knows if I'm playing something that doesn't sound right, she can even tell the difference between basses from another room!

All I have to put up with is the odd - "If you didn't buy so many basses we could have a new fence out the front! But that fence has been there for nearly fourty years I say - surely it will last a bit longer?

Love her to bits :) :o :)

Mrs Raggy is an absolute star. She puts up with my unhealthy gear obsession (somehow), will sometimes drive me to a gig so I can have a couple of beers, has even let me use one of the rooms at home as a music room.

She bought me my MIJ P Bass for my birthday but has a knack when I "treat" her to how the latest bit of kit sounds by saying "sounds exactly like the other ones" followed with a cheeky smile.

Love her to bits.

Mrs. WoT is a fantastic multi-instrumentalist, and mother-of-two. She's the level-headed and musically educated half of the relationship.Love her to bits.

Here she is, doin' her thing...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsTP543lpqQ[/media]

Edited by wateroftyne

Mrs String-Thing to be, is great to go shopping with. A few years ago I wanted a "cheap gigging bass" and was thinking of a Squier or a Warwick rockbass....

Whilst in the shop she saw a German Warwick Corvette and told me to try it. I did, and liked it but put it back on the stand and turned around to try an Ibanez. A minute later I turned back, to see her paying for the corvette. So much for buying a cheap bass! What a star...

My missus takes interest in the basses I buy and the projects I knock up. She has never discouraged me from buying one I've had my heart set on, assumg there's enough coin to go round.

A volatile GF from years back said she's pay off my Warwick Thumb if I danced at length with some fat hog at a wedding we attended (she did) but she was also the woman who took my new and unpaid for Custom Shop Jazz fretless and slam-ducnked it into the deck!! I thought the bass was fkd btu, miraculously, it only had a crack in the finish and I still have that basss to this day, unlike the GF!