Why become a member? ×

Could you be the most beautiful bass in the world?

CHRISDABASS

I like it...which is unusual for me. I must admit, the Sadowsky 'quality' really does seem to trump all the other Superjazz manufacturers. He really does have an eye for clean fantastic quality.

The Dingwall basses are great, but I can't personally see the need for me to move over to the fanned frets.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1318289958' post='1400244']
I'm sure it's a fine example of the luthier's craft but what has it got to do with music?

It's a bit like people who'll pay £80,000 for a hand-made shotgun. Absolute stunning examples of workmanship, in both wood and metal, but they don't shoot any better than a plainer example costing just £1,000.

Such items are really works of art rather than working tools, and not usually any better suited for the job either.
[/quote]

Surely you don't think people spend £80K on a shotgun because it shoots better, although i bet it shoots pretty damn good!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1318325775' post='1400465']

Surely you don't think people spend £80K on a shotgun because it shoots better, although i bet it shoots pretty damn good!
[/quote]

The best shotgun I have ever used was a Baikal MP153 with duck reed camoflage which was about £700 new. It was better than a Browning that I shot the same day that had cost the owner some £7000 used.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318325204' post='1400450']
Definitely in the eye of the beholder.

I haven't seen a single bass in this thread that I like the look of.
[/quote]

I agree with a previous post that it would be dull if we all liked the same things... but blimey, we don't half like some different things! :)

Different strokes for different blokes. I couldn't turn up to rehearsal and escape some banter if I turned up with any of the basses in this thread... not that that's a bad thing. Stay classy, Basschat :)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1318327097' post='1400495']

The best shotgun I have ever used was a Baikal MP153 with duck reed camoflage which was about £700 new. It was better than a Browning that I shot the same day that had cost the owner some £7000 used.
[/quote]
I've used Baikals a lot... they were the crappy hire guns we used to put out to beginners and the like. I was privileged enough to have a long term loan of Browning B2, which took me into the top 5 guns of my nation in competition. I dare say I could have got close with a Baikal too but the Browning fitted me to a T and felt like an extension of myself.

Because most of you lot are like a flock of bah bah sheep fitted with blinkers. I mean gee, I do love my classic Fender basses but I am not afraid to broaden my horizons and dip my toes into the unexpected and only by doing so I discovered the magic of Dingwall that only a few have dared to try just because they are afraid of the fanned frets, when deep down once you gather the courage to try them you'll find that you would be easily play one at a gig all night and not even notice they are wonky.

The only wood finish bass I would ever want to own would be a Xylem (in the Affiliates Section). They look truly magical.

All the ones in this thread remind me of the pine effect sticky back plastic I had on a kitchen counter in the disgusting bedsit I lived in when I moved to London 25 years ago.

I reckon people who like wood effect basses think they will have a deeper relationship with their instrument and play better, I also think they are more likely to sleep with their bass than those with painted ones. Apart from Foxen's Wishbass of course, you would catch VD off that.