Why become a member? ×

What is the best way to turn someone down? (in a band setting)

jackers

So yea, I've been trying to get another band together after the incident with my last one, and so far I have found a great singer who I get on really well with, and yesterday I got a message from guitarist who seemed really keen, so I messaged him back and he asked to add me on facebook to chat more.

Now I've been talking to him this afternoon and he seems like a really creepy kid, who is bordering on obsessing over seeing pictures of the singer (who is female), and he seems to talk down to me as if I have no idea about music.

Being a nice, polite guy, I have absolutely no idea about how to say I'm not comfortable with having him in the band without it sounding harsh. I don't want to just disappear, but at the same time I don't want to string him along for ages.

Help :) haha.

You describe him as a kid. Is he much younger than you ? If so the easy and kind way would be to tell him he just wont fit in with the image your after surely. Or tell him an old close mate has turned up and wants the gig. If he's a young kid I think its better to try not to embarass him with his obesession with a woman. Just my 2 bobs worth anyway.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1317136919' post='1387209']
[size=4]Tell him the singer is actually transsexual and the original guitarist you asked has now decided to join. [/size]

[size=4]White lies are always the best![/size]
[/quote]
Or...tell him you're actually in a relationship with the singer and you don't take too kindly to his pervy prepubescent questions about her, and that's and end of it.

Just be honest. I was asked if I'd like to join a band at the start of the year, having done a couple of deps for them. I said no because the singer (who was doing the asking) and guitarist seemed to have a bit of needle between them (even during/at gigs) and I didn't want to be in the middle of all that. I was thanked for my frankness and honesty. I still see/speak to the singer now and again and from what I can tell the two of them seem to be getting on better, certainly nothing untoward the last time I saw them play. So maybe I indirectly did some good as well :)

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I've met and played with many fantastic musicians who haven't the faintest idea about basic social skills, washing themselves or suppressing their freakish behaviour. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You just have to balance up how much you need their talent against how much you don't want to be in their company. [/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1317204610' post='1387913']
Has no one ever told you?

You CAN'T turn down a guitarist - their amps are permanently welded to '11'.

:)
[/quote]

Yeah - I thought the title meant volume too!

Audition is the way forward, then you can tell him he's got the wrong brand of fuzz pedal or something - make something up. Make sure you tell him you've got lots of guitarists auditioning

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1317204610' post='1387913']
Has no one ever told you?

You CAN'T turn down a guitarist - their amps are permanently welded to '11'.

[/quote]
That was my thought on reading the topic title, especially after that other thread about being asked to turn down by a pub manager.

Bands are tricky things and a bit like recruiting any employee; the person in question must be able to do the required job competently enough but, most importantly, you have to be able to work with them. If you don't like them, for whatever reason, then it'll get messy.

Just audition a few more guitarists and then break the news that you've found a better match.

In reading this thread ,
1, you've never gigged with this guy
2,you've never rehearsed with this guy
3, you haven't even auditioned this guy , what's there to turn down ?
This guitarist could be a musical genius , why not give him the benefit of the doubt and try him out , Facebook is hardly the best way to get to know the real person.

Yeah, he could be asking about the female singer as he genuinely likes bands fronted by women, and possibly the main of his music collection reflects that.

Got to be worth a try - I`ve always found people in the flesh to be much different to how they come across on computers.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1317205886' post='1387963']

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You just have to balance up how much you need their talent against how much you don't want to be in their company. [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

This..pretty much.

Do you want to know how it will work..?? if you think you already know..just say thanks, but no thanks, it isn't going to work. Nothing more to explain, really

If you are feeling benevolent, then get him along, check him out and then say thanks, but..????

I never get this friend thing in bands..... it is the worst idea to be in bands just because you are friends..

as long as you don't hate them, that is enough.

Edited by JTUK