Why become a member? ×

Two 4 ohm cabs.

MarshallBTB

EA's run 2 ohms, as does the TC Blacksmith. Plus any power amp worth it's salt (I've a QSC2402 I use for 2 4 Ohm EBS 410's)...

[quote name='MarshallBTB' post='1363152' date='Sep 5 2011, 05:49 PM']I'm after a head that can run two 4ohm cabs, maybe something like the Ashdown LG1000.
I like the specs but keep reading about problems with it. What else does 2x4ohm outputs/goes to 2ohms?[/quote]

Indeed. Why do you need to run them in Parallel? Assuming they are identical cabs you can run them in series. If not then you'll need to parallel them up and even then you might not get the results you are after.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1363556' date='Sep 5 2011, 10:46 PM']Not the SVT.[/quote]

This.

Plus that parallel cable would be a dodgy cable as you'd need to make a half Y-split kinda affair. So it's going to have 3 ends. I definitely wouldn't trust it with any of my amps, far too easy to short out.

Running them in series will work with any amp, but be prepared for them to sound significantly quieter than one cab on its own. If you want the two cabs to be louder, you need to run in parallel from a 2 ohm amp. I bought an Aguilar DB751 for that very purpose.

Edited by malcolm.mcintyre

[quote name='MarshallBTB' post='1363152' date='Sep 5 2011, 05:49 PM']I'm after a head that can run two 4ohm cabs, maybe something like the Ashdown LG1000.
I like the specs but keep reading about problems with it. What else does 2x4ohm outputs/goes to 2ohms?[/quote]

The LG1000 is an okay head, just not great, if you know what I mean. The Superfly is a superb head if you can get one as well. What about the newer MiBass heads from Ashdown, will the bigger one run two four ohm cabs?

The Carvin BX500 also goes down to 2 ohms. I haven't yet tried one myself, but this could well be my next amp, as I want to keep using my existing 4 ohm cabs.

The link is here for more info...

[url="http://www.carvinworld.com/bassamps/bassheads.php"]http://www.carvinworld.com/bassamps/bassheads.php[/url]

I've been using an Ashdown LG1000 for about 18 months now for all my band rehearsals and gigs and never had any problems with it. I use it with 2 x Yamaha 2x10's (stacked on end of course).

There's a Superfly going for £120 on Oxford's Nightshift message board:

[url="http://nightshift.oxfordmusic.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4670&sid=480c419ac09d852d5c372b4defe305b2"]http://nightshift.oxfordmusic.net/phpbb/vi...c372b4defe305b2[/url]

seems a good deal, and exactly what you're after! You might need to read some threads about how to run them without overheating, but still.
Bargain!

The Marshall vba and DBS 7400 will run a 2 ohm load with no issues
I use two 4 ohm Marshall cabs and either a hartke lh500 or Marshall 7200 DBS head (which need a maximum 4 ohm load) with a cable that runs the cabs in what was described to me as series parallel. Apparently the heads 'sees' a load of something around 6 ohms. This is what my amp tech tells me!

Edited by dudewheresmybass

As someone mentioned here you can get a series cable to make 2x4ohm cabs become 8ohms, OBBM on here makes these cables - very sturdy too. I can run two 4ohm cabs in series on My Orange Terror bass when it is switched to the 8ohm setting and still get the 500W as the amp runs at 500W both 4ohm & 8ohm settings.

For flexibility i can run just one of my 4ohm cabs on the Orange terror bass in the 4ohm setting at still get the 500W. The Oranges capability of running full power at 8ohms plus a very well made series cable which cost me something like £30 ish give's me great flexibility, portability and most important still get the power.

Having said all that the Terror bass is quite a specific valvey ballsey sound, dare i say 'one trick pony', ...but i really like it for my sound. From the other amps mentioned i highly rate the Eden amps; the Eden WT550 does 2ohms whereas IIRC the WT800 does 2 channels both capable of 4ohms - great sounding amps IMO :)

Edited by Rasta