Why become a member? ×

What gauge strings do you use?

molan

I've noticed that over the years I've been playing slinkier strings and really quite like a set of 40-95's I currently have on one bass.

However a recent purchase arrived with something like 50-110 flats fitted & I really quite enjoyed playing with them.

I've noticed a lot of shops seem to have big stocks of good old 45-105's and it made me wonder if these are still the most common because people simply like this classic weight & feel or whether it's because they are what a lot of new basses come fitted with & it's the most commonly found in shops?

I've set the poll up for 4 string sets simply because it was easier - I'd guess 125 is the most common B string with some heavier sets opting for a 130?

Edited by molan

Back in the eighties and early nineties I played the Superwound Funkmaster sets - 30-90. Great at the time (or so I thought) but very little tone or volume.

For the last fifteen years or so I have used predominantly 40-100s, which seemed the ideal compromise between the playability of the light strings and the booming tone of the mooring cables.

Recently, I have found myself moving towards slightly heavier gauges. My most recent sets are 45-105s but next purchase may well be 50s!

While all .105 strings are the same "gauge" they're not necessarily the same mass, and my choice has always been more focused on the mass of the string than the stated gauge. It's why, with unaltered setup criteria, I've gone from using one manufacturer's .045 - .105 set to another manufacturer's .045 - .100 set, with no loss of output across the .080 and .100 strings, but have to accept that there's a touch more output from the .045 and .065 strings.

Roto RS77LD flats for me 45,65,85,105. the last time I used rounds they were Hartke 45,65,80,105.

The only string I have found a huge difference between gauges were with Optima gold. I initially used 45,60,80,100 then tried 45,65,80,105 and the differnce in that tiny change made the E especially a lot tighter and less floppy

[quote name='bartelby' post='1347310' date='Aug 21 2011, 05:37 PM']Also not on the poll are Billy Sheehan sig 43 - 65 - 80 - 110.[/quote]

I've always thought that to be an 'odd' combination, given the most common spacing being 45 - 65 - 85 - 105. Seen a few sets that are as 'standard' but with a 110 instead of the 105 but Billy S goes for a lighter A but then a heavier E.

What are they like to play?

[quote name='molan' post='1347328' date='Aug 21 2011, 05:58 PM']I've always thought that to be an 'odd' combination, given the most common spacing being 45 - 65 - 85 - 105. Seen a few sets that are as 'standard' but with a 110 instead of the 105 but Billy S goes for a lighter A but then a heavier E.

What are they like to play?[/quote]

IIRC, Billy's logic was the 110 was good because he dropped to D so it kept the tension, the lighter G was to help even the tension across the set. He never mentioned why the A was lighter though.

They're pretty nice to be honest, the light G was great for bends and tapping. But I don't do much of that these days.
So 50 - 110 rounds or flats are on 5 of 6 basses.

[quote name='ezbass' post='1347238' date='Aug 21 2011, 04:05 PM']45,65,80,100 I find (or imagine) that this gives me a more even response and tone across the strings.[/quote]

+1

Like you said possibly imagined but gigged my jazz last night after stringing it up with the above gauge and it hasnt sounded better.