Why become a member? ×

Fretless with a pick

4 Strings

I lent my fretless to a friend.

He proceeded to take out a pick and play :)

I told him 'NO' and took it off him.

It may just be my personal opinion, but on no account should you play (my) fretless with a pick!

/rant

Edit: added the personal pronoun :)

Edited by Blademan_98

[quote name='ZMech' post='1328156' date='Aug 5 2011, 01:42 AM']Sounds like the bass guitar equivalent of eating a veggie burger with cutlery carved from the bones of innocent lambs. One just defeats the point of the other.[/quote]
What if the lambs were guilty, would that be ok?

I don't see the problem, personally, it's a different sound again. Not everyone says "three bags full, Jaco!"

[quote name='ZMech' post='1328156' date='Aug 5 2011, 01:42 AM']Sounds like the bass guitar equivalent of eating a veggie burger with cutlery carved from the bones of innocent lambs. One just defeats the point of the other.[/quote]

Sssshhhhh, don't tell Morrissey. :)

Or you could just make your picks from the bones of innocent lambs.

Then you could show off your lamb chops.

I tried it the other week and it does make for an interesting sound on a fretless bass but I'm not sure I'm accurate enough yet. I most use my digits on my fretted instrument and a pick only when the song requires a more agressive attack; switching to the fretless bass for more soothing noises.

As to a complete ban on personal choice from the thought police...I don't think so :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1328133' date='Aug 5 2011, 12:59 AM']I lent my fretless to a friend.

He proceeded to take out a pick and play :)

I told him 'NO' and took it off him.

It may just be my personal opinion, but on no account should you play fretless with a pick![/quote]

You are entitled to, and I respect your opinion. However, I dont understand it. With music, and playing it, nothing is ever written in stone. Before Jaco ripped out the frets on his jazz bass, I'm sure the general consensus of the day was, "on no account should you play fretless". If people want to experiment, and in the process they like what they hear, then what's the problem ????? As I said, you are entitled to [b]your[/b] opinion, but dont force it on others.

Edited by Coilte

I sometimes use a pick with my fretless, for no other reason than it gives me the sound I want for that song.

I also sometimes use my fingers on the fretless - I don't slap though, because that doesn't give me the sound I want.

No rules. (except that)

Surely more of the 'fretless sound' is dependent on what's going on with the fretting hand than the plucking hand? I don't see how using a pick 'defeats' anything, it won't sound much more different than fingerstyle v picking on a fretted instrument.

[quote name='Lenny B' post='1328282' date='Aug 5 2011, 09:23 AM']I sometimes use a pick with my fretless, for no other reason than it gives me the sound I want for that song.

I also sometimes use my fingers on the fretless - I don't slap though, because that doesn't give me the sound I want.

No rules. (except that)[/quote]

I have slapped my fretless a few times, I liked it, so did she....

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1328371' date='Aug 5 2011, 10:17 AM']I have slapped my fretless a few times, I liked it, so did she....[/quote]

And who am I to argue with Les or Pino? It just doesn't suit my band.

But I'm loving pick+fretless+octave - going to be doing some recording in the autumn, will stick a clip up when I've got one...

[quote name='51m0n' post='1328407' date='Aug 5 2011, 10:40 AM']Sledgehammer

Fretless, pick, massive compression = one of the most awesome bass sounds of all time[/quote]

Was there some octaver in there too?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1328378' date='Aug 5 2011, 10:23 AM']Didn't Barry Adamson (Magazine, The Bad Seeds) and David Jay (Bauhaus) both play fretless basses with picks?[/quote]

Barry doesn't play fretless (just nice use of effects) But Davy Jay yes used a pick on his Fless a lot.

Some of Carles Benevent's stuff is on fretless & he uses a pick.

Rule 1 --- There are no rules!!!

B

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='1328467' date='Aug 5 2011, 11:20 AM']Barry doesn't play fretless (just nice use of effects) But Davy Jay yes used a pick on his Fless a lot.

Some of Carles Benevent's stuff is on fretless & he uses a pick.

Rule 1 --- There are no rules!!!

B[/quote]

Isn't this fretless playing by Barry Adamson? If not, sure sounds like it!