Why become a member? ×

Fretless with a pick

4 Strings

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1328133' date='Aug 5 2011, 12:59 AM']I lent my fretless to a friend.

He proceeded to take out a pick and play :)

I told him 'NO' and took it off him.

It may just be my personal opinion, but on no account should you play fretless with a pick!

/rant[/quote]

I'd understand confiscating your bass more if he was slapping it and risking damage to the fingerboard, but can't see a reason not to use a pick if you want.

Not sure I've ever tried a pick on fretless, will give it a go later!

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1328133' date='Aug 5 2011, 12:59 AM']I lent my fretless to a friend.

He proceeded to take out a pick and play :)

I told him 'NO' and took it off him.

It may just be my personal opinion, but on no account should you play fretless with a pick!

/rant[/quote]
That's where I'm going wrong then. Not about to change though

[quote name='Coilte' post='1328272' date='Aug 5 2011, 09:09 AM']You are entitled to, and I respect your opinion. However, I dont understand it. With music, and playing it, nothing is ever written in stone. Before Jaco ripped out the frets on his jazz bass, I'm sure the general consensus of the day was, "on no account should you play fretless". If people want to experiment, and in the process they like what they hear, then what's the problem ????? As I said, you are entitled to [b]your[/b] opinion, but dont force it on others.[/quote]

But when it's my bass, and it has no pick guard, then I don't want the finish all scratched up by a pick.

I don't use picks personally because I can't hold them any more.

My guitars all have pick guards and if people borrow them, they can use a pick :)

If bass players want to use a pick on their own fretless basses, I don't have a problem :)

I probably should have made that a bit clearer in my OP.

:lol:

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1329536' date='Aug 6 2011, 06:07 AM']But when it's my bass, and it has no pick guard, then I don't want the finish all scratched up by a pick.

I don't use picks personally because I can't hold them any more.

My guitars all have pick guards and if people borrow them, they can use a pick :)

If bass players want to use a pick on their own fretless basses, I don't have a problem :)

I probably should have made that a bit clearer in my OP.

:lol:[/quote]

Fair nuff! I tried a pick on my fretless and I think I like it.... I don't know if I'd have ever tried without this thread so thanks for that! :D

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1329712' date='Aug 6 2011, 11:09 AM']Fair nuff! I tried a pick on my fretless and I think I like it.... I don't know if I'd have ever tried without this thread so thanks for that! :)[/quote]

My pleasure.

In wasn't saying it was wrong or that its a 'no-no' just never seen it before and I thought it a little odd.

Thanks for the examples of this practice though, although some given confirm my thought that its a little odd!

Sledgehammer, of course! Now that's a unique and fabulous tone, just for one song too. I remember octavers at the time would do one note at a time, to play a song with the effect was an expensive studio gizmo not just a pedal.