Why become a member? ×

G&L or Ibanez or Warwick or...?

uncle psychosis

Hey folks

I'm interested in a new 4-string bass, looking for a "keeper" to grow old with! Budget absolutely no more than £600 (preferably less) and willing to go second hand. I want something versatile for doing rock/jazz/reggae/soul/funk. Pretty much most things except heavy metal really!

Aesthetically I really like natural finishes on light coloured wood and I quite like things to be a *little* bit different. I don't like musicman style basses.

I currently play a Jazz copy and really like the neck on it (I have small hands and stubby fingers).

Currently I am aiming towards:

G&L L2000 (probably a tribute, barring a miraculous bargain on a USA one)
Ibanez SR series (probably a 600 or higher)
Warwick Corvette (second hand German one--- TBH the main reason I'm intrigued by these is they seem ridiculously good value at the moment.!!!)

Thoughts? At the moment the G&L is probably in the lead. :)

G&L's tend to come in nicer colours than natural light wood IMO, and is a little bit of what they're about. A German corvette will be great value, and their ash bodied ones are quite the thing to behold!

As for an Ibanez, I think I'd personally take the G&L or Warwick over one, they're more popular and probably more highly thought of, which will generally help your resale value if it ever comes to that

Alas it looks like i'll have to do the inevitable and recommend what i've just bought ! Out of the choices there i'd go for a G&L. The tonal versatility is astounding and I think they have more to offer than any Ibanez at least. As for Warwicks - I used to have a Corvette $$ which was nice, but tonally a bit too aggressive and the neck was horrid.

But, you need to try a few basses out and see where you get drawn, no-one on here will ever make the right decision for you.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1318197' date='Jul 27 2011, 01:09 PM']I currently play a Jazz copy and really like the neck on it (I have small hands and stubby fingers).[/quote]

If that's the case then I'd advise against a G&L [i]Tribute[/i] L-2000 - big clubby P neck (on mine at least). If you want a Jazz profile neck on an L-2000 then you'll have to find a USA one I'm afraid.

With that proviso, I'd say the G&L is the pick of that bunch you mention.

I also like slim necks and I've always found that G&L's have thick clumsy necks.

My advice would be to look out for a used Sandberg, as they seem to be going for peanuts! Handbuilt in germany, amazing quality, great sound, and just effortless to play! I picked one up in good nick at the weekend for considerably less than your budget!

Thanks guys

I'm planning a bass tryout session at somepoint but from what I can gather there aren't any warwick dealers in Scotland which makes things a bit awkward. :)

The Sandbergs look interesting, didn't think it was possible to get one within my budget though! :)

Keep the ideas coming folks...

The l-2000 Tributes are great if you can get on with the neck, I've had one for 5 years and still don't love the neck on it. Having said that it's not fat, it's just wide. It's comfy in the hands but your fingers need to work more in the lower than a jazz. This is why i just bought a jazz to compliment it. USA ones with jazz necks come along occasionally though.
Ibanez soundgears are lovely to play, balance is good and really easy necks. I think you need to go high up in the range to get a good set of electronics though.

The l-2000 is a tone monster through and through, so much variation and power. One thing you might like is the sterling by musicman sterling or "sb14", not played one but they have a slim neck and i would expect them to be a bit similar to the g&l tone wise.

I was going to suggest a Sandberg but I was beaten to it. It's not uncommon for them to sell under £650 when they come up, it's a bit over your budget but they're brilliant basses.

You can probably get a USA Fender Jazz too for around that money (I'd go with the Sandberg but the Fender is another option).

Most Warwick necks will be very different to Jazz necks, the G&l ones seem to vary a lot from what I've heard so it's worth trying them out.

As Neep says, give the G&L Tribute a bodyswerve as their necks are exactly the oposite of a Jazz neck. Guitarguitar in Edinburgh usually has em in stock. Its the only thing that lets them down if you have small hands because otherwise they are brilliant.

Jez

NO CONTEST! Get the G+L already - a choice of three where two weren't horrible would be more of tough decision! :)

OK - sorry to those of you who like Ibanez and Warwick, lovely playing instruments yadda yadda. It's all IMHO obviously, and I'm clearly an unashamed biggot where these things are concerned. But the fact that you want a bass to keep and grow old with surely lends itself to a classic timeless design doesn't it? The G+L[i] looks [/i]like an electric bass guitar. It won't age. Leo Fender designed it. If it ever goes out of fashion it'll come back in again. The other two look like a thinly disguised coffee table.

I've never owned any of these btw, so this is a bit like a catholic priest giving marriage guidance - but I've owned loadsa Fenders, and Fender wannabes, and they're honest working instruments that just look and feel right. They are simple and functional designs - particularly so in the case of the passive models which most G+Ls aren't to be fair.

If you can, also look at Fender's higher end mim stuff, or even the CV Squiers which are infinitely mod-able. Other alternatives could include secondhand Lakland Skyline DJ's/Osbornes/Glaubs, or for that matter Sterling Rays are sposed to be nicely put together but a bit of a one-trick pony perhaps. Great trick though. I hear great things about G+L - a well known retailer recently described G+L to me as 'the best instument Leo Fender ever made' - I took this as more of a complement to the brand than he intended I think.

From your list, gotta be the G+L. Get it bought - and let us never speak of this again.

As others have mentioned, your best bet is to try before you buy, especially since the basses you're interested in are all quite different.

My advice would be to have a look into second hand Warwicks (if you've tried one and like the feel), the second hand market for them is great for buyers at the moment and you can get a lot of bass for your money. Things like Streamer LX's and Thumb Bolt-Ons are often going for around £600 or less.

Something important to bare in mind with buying second hand Warwicks is the pre-1998 bolt on models have a much slimmer neck profile than the newer ones. Warwick used to use Wenge for the neck as well as the fretboards, now they only use wenge for the fretboard and they use ovangkol for the neck. I own both kinds of Warwicks, and whilst I have no problems with the neck profile of my newer model, the older Warwick I have is truly effortless to play.

I'd personally go for a Warwick, G&Ls are very very nice, as are Ibanez basses, however there's something a little bit magic about a German made Warwick.
Quite a few nice Warwicks on here at the moment...

Nice Infinity SN - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=147374"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=147374[/url]
A very nice Dolphin SN - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=147151"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=147151[/url]

Both the above are now discontinued and don't crop up very often.

A fairly rare Dolphin II - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133907"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133907[/url]

A Streamer LX - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=146817"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=146817[/url]

and an loverly Thumb BO - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145599"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145599[/url]
which I'd be all over if I had the money.

Some Warwick necks can be a bit beefy, but I've found all the 4 string necks I've tried to be just fine and I have fairly small hands and short fingers too.
The chunkiness only tends to become an issue when you go up to 5 or 6 strings.

Good luck mate :)

Eude

I'm unashamedly gonna recommend Ibanez (Having been an owner of a SR-1000 for 20+ years & still being my main instrument).
It has a Huge range of sounds, a very slim neck, doesn't look like a Fender, wasn't designed by Fender & has a great build quality to boot.
New one's don't hold their value all that well, but 2nd hand they do & there's some excellent bargains to be had. You could have a £1000+ instrument for well within your budget.

Best idea is to get to a shop & have a play about. GuitarGuitar usually have a couple of Warwicks, Ibbys & G&Ls in & Kenny's in Dundee usually has a couple of Warwicks.

I have small hands ( and am vertically challenged - 5'3"), I find my G&L SB1 neck really easy to play. It also stays in tune impeccably and in some 26 years use the neck has had no issues whatsoever. I think it is great bass, plug into almost anything get good sound. My advice, try them all.

Earlier Warwicks have narrow but deep necks which I find much easier to play that flat, wide Fender style necks. I have small hands, small enough I'm regularly mocked when comparing them with the hands of women smaller than me. That said, I can adjust fairly easily so I wouldn't worry unless your hands really are freakishly small. Personally, I'd go Warwick as they're really cheap at the moment and might improve re-sale wise if you decide you don't like it in a year or so.

I play a '98 Warwick Streamer btw.

Went on a bass-trying expedition at the weekend. The necks on the Ibanezes I tried were actually too skinny ( :) ) and the setups on the ones I tried were not good at all. Ridiculous fretbuzz and not very nice to play. Tried some Laklands but they didn't really grab me. Tried an Ibanez TRB1004 which was very lovely indeed. Also tried a Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$ which had one of the nicest feeling necks I've ever tried---I don't know what they do to make the wood feel like that but more companies need to do it. Still unsure on the aesthetics of Warwicks though!

So having said that I wanted:

1. 4-strings
2. A natural finish
3. A G&L, Warwick, or Ibanez
4. A small neck

I've just gone and paid for something *completely* different. I wasn't intending to buy something for a few months but something came up that I had to have. Watch this space...:)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1326292' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:09 PM']Went on a bass-trying expedition at the weekend. The necks on the Ibanezes I tried were actually too skinny ( :) ) and the setups on the ones I tried were not good at all. Ridiculous fretbuzz and not very nice to play. Tried some Laklands but they didn't really grab me. Tried an Ibanez TRB1004 which was very lovely indeed. Also tried a Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$ which had one of the nicest feeling necks I've ever tried---I don't know what they do to make the wood feel like that but more companies need to do it. Still unsure on the aesthetics of Warwicks though!

So having said that I wanted:

1. 4-strings
2. A natural finish
3. A G&L, Warwick, or Ibanez
4. A small neck

I've just gone and paid for something *completely* different. I wasn't intending to buy something for a few months but something came up that I had to have. Watch this space...:)[/quote]

a sitar?