Why become a member? ×

Should I refin an old Fender in original colour?

molan

So I've been looking at a pair of old Fenders in need of some restoration and thought I'd ask for some thoughts from the BC massive about colour choices :)

One is a '64 P and the other a '71 J.

Both have been stripped back to natural wood, one looks decent but the other has a nasty poly finish over the top of the natural stain.

Based on some colour remnants on each bass it looks like both were originally Olympic White.

I'd been thinking of some Fender pastel colors like Sonic or Daphne Blue, Fiesta Red, Seafoam Green etc.

However the painter I spoke to thought that if I was restoring them then I ought to consider trying to get them back to their original finish.

I don't have anything against Oly White but not sure I'd want to go for two old basses in the same colour.

So - what does everyone think?

As they will be re-fins whatever colour you choose, it makes no difference whether you go original colour or not IMHO. Forget that they were both oly white and go for whatever colours you like best. I vote for a fiesta red P (a la Pino) and a sonic blue or seafoam green J :)

I agree with the above comments

When you have them refisnished, get the guy to preserve any original markings on the bass in the neck pocket (particularly any paint sticks, etc), pup and control cavities by NOT spraying over these areas - get him to put masking tape over these areas - just IMHO

[quote name='Clarky' post='1304076' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:14 PM']As they will be re-fins whatever colour you choose, it makes no difference whether you go original colour or not IMHO. Forget that they were both oly white and go for whatever colours you like best. I vote for a fiesta red P (a la Pino) and a sonic blue or seafoam green J :)[/quote]

Ah Clarky, you know me too well, that's exactly the combination I'd first thought of!

I have to admit that Oly White with a tort guard on a J is a really nice combo as well (and it has the original tort guard already).

[quote name='Clarky' post='1304076' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:14 PM']As they will be re-fins whatever colour you choose, it makes no difference whether you go original colour or not IMHO. Forget that they were both oly white and go for whatever colours you like best. I vote for a fiesta red P (a la Pino) and a sonic blue or seafoam green J :)[/quote]

+1 Go for the colour you like best. I did the exact same thing with my 78p recently; it was originally white but stripped when I bought it - I researched colours available at the time and ended up painting it Capri Orange! No regrets.
(If interested, the pre and post facelift pics are in the first two links of my sig)

For yours, I'm a big fan of Sonic blue, especially with the covers on

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1304107' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:34 PM']+1 Go for the colour you like best. I did the exact same thing with my 78p recently; it was originally white but stripped when I bought it - I researched colours available at the time and ended up painting it Capri Orange! No regrets.
I'm a big fan of Sonic blue, especially with the covers on[/quote]

Ahhhhhhh - I LOVE Capri Orange

[quote name='molan' post='1304097' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:27 PM']I have to admit that Oly White with a tort guard on a J is a really nice combo as well (and it has the original tort guard already).[/quote]

Well if I'd know you had the original tort guard then I'd have said Oly White J too :)

Surf green and tort go together rather nicely - check out this CS bass at Coda Music [url="http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_247&products_id=10037&oscsid=460f2c241b2942c6ebedce6c3b2b4d83"]http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php...bedce6c3b2b4d83[/url]

Just wondering if the value of these basses would be affected by refinish colour choice?

There yours and you can do in your favorite non original colour if it's what you like, but it's worth knowing

Edited by lojo

I think if it's refinished, it's no longer original (just like the stripped condition it's in) so therefore colour would have no effect on price.

I'd go for a non Fender colour. Maybe British Racing Green with a Mustard pick guard?

Some thoughts:

1. It's your bass. Do what you want with it.

2. Finish it in the colour you like best.

3. Looking at it from a resale value PoV, if having the bass refinished in the original colour would add at least the cost of the refinish to the selling price then you could always have the bass re-refinished in OW just before you sell it. Otherwise IMO the the cost of having the body refinished as a percentage of the overall value of the bass doesn't make it worthwhile, in which case it doesn't matter what colour it is. See points 1 and 2.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1304127' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:43 PM']Surf green and tort go together rather nicely - check out this CS bass at Coda Music [url="http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_247&products_id=10037&oscsid=460f2c241b2942c6ebedce6c3b2b4d83"]http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php...bedce6c3b2b4d83[/url][/quote]
OMG thats given me inspiration.. i thought there were too many colours in that combo before.. but that looks awsmome Clarky!! thanks...

[quote name='molan' post='1304044' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:54 PM']....However the painter I spoke to thought that if I was restoring them then I ought to consider trying to get them back to their original finish.

I don't have anything against Oly White but not sure I'd want to go for two old basses in the same colour.

So - what does everyone think?[/quote]
If you are going with original hardware and 'tronics I'd tend to agree with your painter, otherwise it's open season at refin city.

The '71J deal has just fallen through :)

However, the '64P is completed :)

I was going to get it finished over in the USA but might get it over here first & then decide. It doesn't have a pickguard so I have lots of choice!

Sunburst is probably the only option that's out as both my '63 & '71 P's are that colour already.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1304076' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:14 PM']As they will be re-fins whatever colour you choose, it makes no difference whether you go original colour or not IMHO. Forget that they were both oly white and go for whatever colours you like best. I vote for sonic blue & seafoam green:)[/quote]

Fixed. :)

[quote name='molan' post='1304097' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:27 PM']Ah Clarky, you know me too well, that's exactly the combination I'd first thought of!

I have to admit that Oly White with a tort guard on a J is a really nice combo as well (and it has the original tort guard already).[/quote]

I agree with Clarky Barrie :)

Thats a wonderful collection of P basses you have there. I remember when i used to pop round and see your awesome collection of 5 Strings and always felt my P bass was a bit out ofnplace. Not anymore :)