Why become a member? ×

New band woes

Shambo

This story has a nice bit of tension!
Only advice, use your cheap bass and rig until stalker nutter fan has been neutralised.
Be a shame for anything nice to get broken in someone elses war.
Also, try and protect your drummer (you sound like you are already) he doesn`t seem ready for the poo+fan boogie just yet.
otherwise, "it`s showtime!"

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1301498' date='Jul 12 2011, 07:45 PM']It's crucial to be able to interview someone later who'll say "[i]He seemed like a regular guy[/i]".[/quote]
"...[i]but a bit of a loner[/i]".

Funny how the word 'loner' is rarely used except in the context of firearms-related fatalities. Roll on the next chapter.

Edited by skankdelvar

First, get the police to check under the stalker's patio.

Second, I know a guy who can get you a false identity, I'll PM the number.

Third, write the next chapter, I'm hooked.

On the other hand, it could be good fun and just Rock 'n'roll.

Well I'm glad you like my story. I haven't embelished or sexied up anything in a Christmas Eastenders (sic) kinda way, it's distressingly accurate.

[quote]Only advice, use your cheap bass and rig until stalker nutter fan has been neutralised.[/quote]
I had thought about that but I've only got one bass and one rig that didn't come particularly cheap. Maybe I'll have to invest in one of those charity shop basses to beat the singers adoring fans back off the stage with... in a Sid Vicious style.

Edited by Shambo

[quote name='Shambo' post='1301088' date='Jul 12 2011, 02:37 PM']Y'know I think he'd love that. He's got this tortured genius thing in his head already and loves the tales of band implosions, epic drug taking overdoses and suicides. If I told him that's exactly what I'm going to do he'd throw himself into it with gusto and probably be dead by Christmas.[/quote]

He's not coming with me, he isn't! :)

• 2 months later...

Just a little update.

The band is still going and would seem to be gaining in strength. The name of the band was the one he'd originally thought of, the excuse was that he was put under pressure for a name when being booked for the gig he didn't ask me about. This only came to light whilst we were being interviewed on air before a live performance for a local radio station, and whilst I did consider calling him out on air, I grimaced and took one for the team. The drummer likes it so that's two to one, and I didn't want to flounce off because of a rubbish name, (I'm not telling you the name but rest assured it's the kind of soppy indie nonsense phrase that makes 'Maroon 5' sound like 'Anal C#nt').

Our most recent gig was in a central Liverpool venue last Saturday and despite not having adequate monitoring I enjoyed it more than any other so far, and so did the drummer who was grinning like a cheshire cat. It was apparently not fun for the singer though, something I didn't notice whilst we were playing as everytime I looked at him he was pulling classic rock and roll poses. The very moment the last song finished he stormed off stage without acknowledging the audience or their applause. When I eventually caught up with him I was surprised to see him incandescent with rage, apparently the sound engineer was a useless c#nt because he could have achieved a better mix himself in 5 minutes.

Now this is a subject quite close to me. I spent quite a few years as a freelance sound engineer and I've borne the brunt of this sort of behaviour before, and he knows it. I told him he didn't know what the audience was hearing because he was the wrong side of the P.A. and that the applause given didn't suggest they weren't enjoying themselves. Then it was the fact that the sound guy kept coming from behind his desk to the front of the P.A. for a listen before going back for a tweak. He thought that was because he was f#cking it up, and this was putting him off his performance. I reminded him that the alternative to that would be a sound guy sat behind his desk texting his mates and not giving a sh*t. I could feel a stand up row brewing so I left him to the comiserations of his girlfriend whilst me and the drummer hit the bar for a bemused apres gig pint.

When he'd calmed down the rest of the evening involved people taking the piss out of him for his Mariah Carey, diva style foot stamping which, in fairness, he took in good spirit, (he laughed when he could have scweamed and scweamed, etc...). I had a word with the sound guy at the end of the evening and he was unhappy that our singer was unhappy and had wanted to do his best for us. I reassured him he wasn't the problem and that our singer was just being a bit of a dickhead.

Anyways, we've done about half a dozen gigs and new songs are still coming easily. A recording session beckons after which we've agreed that the original set will be put aside to concentrate on new music. There's also talk of a little showcase trip to 'that London' for a promoter friend, (which I've agreed to so long as it's not some pay to play scam), so I'm sure there's more laughs ahead.

....oh and if a kindly mod reads this, could you move it to off topic ppplease?