Why become a member? ×

Bass Tab

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Kevin Dean' post='1295860' date='Jul 7 2011, 12:32 PM']Hi does anyone have the Bass tab to the following,
Big Country-look away, Simple minds Love Song,Simple Minds Ghost Dancing & Talking heads Life during wartime.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1295879' date='Jul 7 2011, 12:48 PM'][/quote]

I wouldn't take too personally. Bilbo's only got tab for Jazz numbers.

I've got to nail a set list for a depp in a week or so and was struggling a bit with a couple of numbers, so in an attempt to save myself some time I downloaded the tabs.

What a miserable experience, not very accurate and I just found myself losing the will and getting very bored with it.

Gone back to relying on ears and some improvising.

I know TAB is a useful resource but I really can't get on with it.

Right off to learn Shine by Take That and Read my Mind/Killers.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1296119' date='Jul 7 2011, 04:24 PM']I've got to nail a set list for a depp in a week or so and was struggling a bit with a couple of numbers, so in an attempt to save myself some time I downloaded the tabs.

What a miserable experience, not very accurate and I just found myself losing the will and getting very bored with it.

Right off to learn Shine by Take That and Read my Mind/Killers.[/quote]

Most tab is not accurate, but if your in a rush it can speed things up but you still have to listen to fill in the blanks and make judgements on what is wrong

I find when I'm time pushed that chord charts are more useful for speeding up the process, you still have to learn the line by ear but at least you have a reference for roots and structure

[quote name='gary mac' post='1296119' date='Jul 7 2011, 04:24 PM']I've got to nail a set list for a depp in a week or so and was struggling a bit with a couple of numbers, so in an attempt to save myself some time I downloaded the tabs.

Right off to learn Shine by Take That and Read my Mind/Killers.[/quote]

I have the dots for Shine if you want them?

[quote name='lojo' post='1296717' date='Jul 8 2011, 06:44 AM']Most tab is not accurate, but if your in a rush it can speed things up but you still have to listen to fill in the blanks and make judgements on what is wrong

I find when I'm time pushed that chord charts are more useful for speeding up the process, you still have to learn the line by ear but at least you have a reference for roots and structure[/quote]

Yes that's what I tend to do, chord charts that is.

For the OP:

I'm not really familiar with the other tracks, but on Love Song by Simple Minds the bass is nice and loud in the mix and does pretty much the same thing all the way trough the song. If you can't work this one out by ear then maybe this music thing isn't for you.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1296963' date='Jul 8 2011, 11:19 AM']For the OP:

I'm not really familiar with the other tracks, but on Love Song by Simple Minds the bass is nice and loud in the mix and does pretty much the same thing all the way trough the song. If you can't work this one out by ear then maybe this music thing isn't for you.[/quote]

Well, that's not very helpful, is it? In fact, it's bordering on being downright rude. Can't we focus on helping each other, please?

If I had tabs, chords, sheet music, whatever, for a song requested by a fellow muso, I'd gladly share it.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1296963' date='Jul 8 2011, 11:19 AM']If you can't work this one out by ear then maybe this music thing isn't for you.[/quote]
My music teacher said the same thing to me 40 years ago and he also said I was tone deaf and kicked me out of the class.
It just made me want to prove him wrong and I've been a musician ever since and I find tabs very useful.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1296963' date='Jul 8 2011, 11:19 AM']For the OP:

I'm not really familiar with the other tracks, but on Love Song by Simple Minds the bass is nice and loud in the mix and does pretty much the same thing all the way trough the song. If you can't work this one out by ear then maybe this music thing isn't for you. :) :)[/quote]

Fixed!

I've got 2 weeks to learn 25 songs for a dep gig, some of the tunes are easy simple enough to learn by ear but others are too busy and for simplicity i'm just going to get the tabs for them, all but a few are on UG which is pretty good.

[quote name='solo4652' post='1296999' date='Jul 8 2011, 11:47 AM']Well, that's not very helpful, is it? In fact, it's bordering on being downright rude. Can't we focus on helping each other, please?

If I had tabs, chords, sheet music, whatever, for a song requested by a fellow muso, I'd gladly share it.[/quote]

It reminds of a response I once got back from Alternative Tentacles.
Back when I first started to play bass I wrote to them asking if they knew any sources of written basslines for Dead Kennedys songs.

The reply was:

"If you can't work out DK basslines, then I suggest giving up the bass.
Thanks
Jello"

He did send me a free AT courier bag though...

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' post='1297338' date='Jul 8 2011, 03:37 PM']It reminds of a response I once got back from Alternative Tentacles.
Back when I first started to play bass I wrote to them asking if they knew any sources of written basslines for Dead Kennedys songs.

The reply was:

"If you can't work out DK basslines, then I suggest giving up the bass.
Thanks
Jello"

He did send me a free AT courier bag though...[/quote]
Class! And quite right too!

I guess my first post came out a bit abrupt, but I sand by what I said. IMO listening is the most important skill any musician can have. It will stand you in good stead whether you need to work out parts for a covers band or are writing original music.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1297532' date='Jul 8 2011, 07:07 PM']Class! And quite right too!

I guess my first post came out a bit abrupt, but I sand by what I said. IMO listening is the most important skill any musician can have. It will stand you in good stead whether you need to work out parts for a covers band or are writing original music.[/quote]

I just keep hitting a few notes until the guitarist gets it :)

Life During Wartime is a fairly simple bassline. It's in A during the Verse & E during the Chorus.
Most of the verse uses A A EGE & the run at the end is just D C B G.
Chorus goes E (open string) BDE. Got this from listening to a clip on youtube as my mate has my Talking Heads songbook.

Hope that helps.