Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith and customer service ?

tournesol74

Ok, I read the last few pages since I posted, most of which has nothing to do with the subject but whatever.

The Original poster/complainer finally replied to me after several emails I have sent him. He feels he has done something good by attempting to smear our reputation.

Bottom line. You buy used, your dispute is with the seller, not the maker of the product. You buy something 15 years old discontinued almost as long as that, you have to buy what you need for it. Nothing is owed to you except maybe from the used seller who sold it unless you broke it after the sale.

Breaking a control in an active unit might send a power surge thru the circuit and fry something inside. We never replace single pots in this type of situation. We replace the unit with either a new or re-built one because the labor to fix one single part is not worth it if there are hidden electronic problems in the circuit FROM that initial visual breakage. The other option is to send the circuit to us to send out to the lab to have rebuilt. If the bass walked in here, we would replace the unit, give some labor credit towards a new or re-built unit, collect the fee and send him on his way, while waiting if he walks in early enough. Then we would send that unit back out if it can be saved and re-build it for the next person. Just like a re-built auto transmission. We give the same warranty of 1 year against manufacture defects in our work under normal use for both new and re-built units. We do not warranty against actual physical breakage by a person or in shipping if dropped.

This circuit was replaced by our current model back in 2004. We only have a few of these left in new and re-built to sell for repairs or after market but before long, the older parts may be difficult to find and we will then stop offering them.

I have probably no less than about 10 hours of my time on this guy and the bottom line is, he has to buy what he needs. We are not responsible for his problem and have given him all the information how to buy what he needs, over and over. This is not a customer service issue and his bass is not a current bass purchased from us but bought second hand, about 15 years old or so (1993-1998 est) and he prefers to spend is time typing on line rather than working to earn the few dollars to order the part. I still can't say if that part will fix his problem. We did not test the bass here ourselves and do not know if anything within the circuit is fried either. Re-building involves a full test, any and all needed parts replaced and usually, ALL new Pots.

"That is all I have to say about that!"

[quote name='thestick' post='1266445' date='Jun 12 2011, 06:56 PM']:) Ken Smith basses are great!!
I just got another one today! (hope pots are ok!!)
and if I had the money would buy another.
Lets give the man a break, he has made an effort on here . when im sure he has better things to do.[/quote]

Agree lets close this thread and get on with life.

Whaoouuuu ! so many people here ! Sorry I was moving for 3 days...

The only thing I can say Mister Ken is that I don't feel to pay 100$ for the shipping of a pot, even if I am in France, and I wanted to know what the basschater were thinking about it.

that's all

Sorry to butt in on this one, most entertaining

[quote name='tournesol74' post='1267588' date='Jun 13 2011, 05:36 PM']Whaoouuuu ! so many people here ! Sorry I was moving for 3 days...

The only thing I can say Mister Ken is that I don't feel to pay 100$ for the shipping of a pot, even if I am in France, and I wanted to know what the basschater were thinking about it.

that's all[/quote]

Did he say "I can post it for less than half this cost"? If so, why did you not accept that?

[quote name='tournesol74' post='1267588' date='Jun 13 2011, 12:36 PM']Whaoouuuu ! so many people here ! Sorry I was moving for 3 days...

that's all[/quote]

The $100 was the UPS quote and then I quoted you $25-30 for registered Post or something as guaranteed as possible, right?

I just took an order for a Part plus one set of strings to Turkey and the Total is $73.. The Shipping by Post is $25 included in that amount. No arguments, and I offered two ways of shipping. I replied after hours at first and didn't have the Postal rate to give without my shipper checking but did say we can get it. We give quotes every day to people around the world. The price is the price. I just collect the shipping and I did not break your bass.

I agree this needs dropping now.

We have been over the UPS shipping cost about 20 times. That's what it cost. Pick the cheaper option if you prefer. Ken does not have control over UPS's prices. As Ken has stated, the cost is the cost. No one would expect to get a free part for a product they bought2nd hand and that hasn't been made in 10 years or more.

Ken has had chance to take on board everyone's feedback and comments regarding his approach to customer service and if he feels he needs to change something about the way he does business then that's up to him.

Can I suggest that if people needto clear up a dispute or issue with Ken Smith Basses then they contact Ken directly as he seems a rational man who will always offer at least some solution to any problem that arises. Ill put it to the mod team that this thread be closed IF Ken desires it. Ken?

Shep

[quote name='TomKent' post='1267615' date='Jun 13 2011, 05:59 PM']This thread has been so epic, I'm thinking we could make a movie out of it. "One mans quest for a new pot."[/quote]
Too late. Been done.

[size=1]Swayze gets in before the lock[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1267625' date='Jun 13 2011, 06:07 PM']I agree this needs dropping now.

We have been over the UPS shipping cost about 20 times. That's what it cost. Pick the cheaper option if you prefer. Ken does not have control over UPS's prices. As Ken has stated, the cost is the cost. No one would expect to get a free part for a product they bought2nd hand and that hasn't been made in 10 years or more.

Ken has had chance to take on board everyone's feedback and comments regarding his approach to customer service and if he feels he needs to change something about the way he does business then that's up to him.

Can I suggest that if people needto clear up a dispute or issue with Ken Smith Basses then they contact Ken directly as he seems a rational man who will always offer at least some solution to any problem that arises. Ill put it to the mod team that this thread be closed IF Ken desires it. Ken?

Shep[/quote]

We get it, you're a mod.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1267625' date='Jun 13 2011, 06:07 PM']Ill put it to the mod team that this thread be closed IF Ken desires it. Ken?

Shep[/quote]

Sorry, are you joking, a bloke who's been a member five minutes has more say than a lot of long standing members. You after an endorsement?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1267640' date='Jun 13 2011, 06:15 PM']We get it, you're a mod.[/quote]

You may find this hard to believe dude but I'm also a human, a fairly normal guy, a bass player, hard worker, married man, sociable chap and a lot more besides. The fact I'm a 'mod' has little to do with everyone going around in circles and new people joining the fight who can't be bothered to read tue discussion from the start. It's only a matter of time before someone else pipes up with "I can't believe that KS could charge $100 for shipping a pot! What a rip off..."

But thanks...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1267659' date='Jun 13 2011, 06:28 PM']You may find this hard to believe dude but I'm also a human, a fairly normal guy, a bass player, hard worker, married man, sociable chap and a lot more besides. The fact I'm a 'mod' has little to do with everyone going around in circles and new people joining the fight who can't be bothered to read tue discussion from the start. It's only a matter of time before someone else pipes up with "I can't believe that KS could charge $100 for shipping a pot! What a rip off..."

But thanks...[/quote]

Oh man, you're bringing tears to my eyes, stop it

well if im honest it was me who brought this to kens attention, heres his reply:

Ok, read it all. What a pile of sh*t these guys talk. So many lies and re-interpetations. I can't spend time fighiting books of woods fixing the bent minds of these people..

Everyone that calls here can talk to me. Every order we take is filled to the letter. If not, we correct it. We tell people what we believe to be true. Then they can buy as the wish. I only contradict if I think I am helping them. Life is too short.

The CR model was never a Chuck Rainey model in our literature but dedicated to him after it was designed by the request of his wife at the time in 1991. Chuck and I are still friends and he can play or buy what ever he likes. Another bullshit story.

KSD's were nevr expensive basses. The 1990s Burners were our producton/import bass and after 1993 had the same circuit as all of our basses. Thats the pot of one broken. The first KSD's were by Brooklyn Gear and made in Korea. They sold for under $1000, some times 500-600. Then D'Andra did 'their' distribution and eventually by agreement took over the line. By using out name and some designs, we collect a small royality. We sold a few of the early Korean models to help with local players and visitors. About 20 in total in our records of the earlier Korean production, period.

So many lies, mis truths and just made up sh*t storm there but I need to work, not fight an angry mom with computers that type faster then me so I can only talk to those that talk to me. Thanks for the email.

he's also a bit pissed with me cos i joined his forum as hugh jarse, but i hope he's cooled down now he's vented his spleen... :)