Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith and customer service ?

tournesol74

Well, that was quite interesting reading, I'm quite glad Ken came on to give his side of the story.
In my opinion for old stuff like that KS could have recommended a new preamp (ie sold something) and otherwise just given a part number for mouser or some other retailer so the fella can go get the part himself and pay his own luthier to fit it (or possibly he would just have recommend buying a new preamp!) or point him to KS's european distributer and let them sort it.

Anyway, im interested, though have no money, but im off to find out what a ken smith bass looks like!

not something i would ever have the need for as someone who doesn't play that reguarly... but they look pretty nice basses for what they are. You'ld sell a heap more (well if you phsically can make more that is) if you had a better website that sold more what you're passionate about.

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1267571' date='Jun 13 2011, 05:24 PM']Ok, I read the last few pages since I posted, most of which has nothing to do with the subject but whatever.

The Original poster/complainer finally replied to me after several emails I have sent him. He feels he has done something good by attempting to smear our reputation.

Bottom line. You buy used, your dispute is with the seller, not the maker of the product. You buy something 15 years old discontinued almost as long as that, you have to buy what you need for it. Nothing is owed to you except maybe from the used seller who sold it unless you broke it after the sale.

Breaking a control in an active unit might send a power surge thru the circuit and fry something inside. We never replace single pots in this type of situation. We replace the unit with either a new or re-built one because the labor to fix one single part is not worth it if there are hidden electronic problems in the circuit FROM that initial visual breakage. The other option is to send the circuit to us to send out to the lab to have rebuilt. If the bass walked in here, we would replace the unit, give some labor credit towards a new or re-built unit, collect the fee and send him on his way, while waiting if he walks in early enough. Then we would send that unit back out if it can be saved and re-build it for the next person. Just like a re-built auto transmission. We give the same warranty of 1 year against manufacture defects in our work under normal use for both new and re-built units. We do not warranty against actual physical breakage by a person or in shipping if dropped.

This circuit was replaced by our current model back in 2004. We only have a few of these left in new and re-built to sell for repairs or after market but before long, the older parts may be difficult to find and we will then stop offering them.

I have probably no less than about 10 hours of my time on this guy and the bottom line is, he has to buy what he needs. We are not responsible for his problem and have given him all the information how to buy what he needs, over and over. This is not a customer service issue and his bass is not a current bass purchased from us but bought second hand, about 15 years old or so (1993-1998 est) and he prefers to spend is time typing on line rather than working to earn the few dollars to order the part. I still can't say if that part will fix his problem. We did not test the bass here ourselves and do not know if anything within the circuit is fried either. Re-building involves a full test, any and all needed parts replaced and usually, ALL new Pots.

"That is all I have to say about that!"[/quote]
You know what, Ken, although I think you do seem to have a bit of an attitude, and 'seem' to be quite rude even when you aren't being, I absolutely agree with this post of yours, apart from the cheeky snipey bit about spending his time typing.

My advice to him would be to get a John East pre-amp, simply because he will get a superb unit and only pay very little for postage, and also get superb and gentlemanly service and after-sales care.

Really though, his initial issue was about $100 shipping cost (which I also find amazing as I buy stuff from the States often and get strings sent for $10). However, these little problems often end up being the start of a much bigger one. He needs a new pre, not just the pot.

HOWEVER, as a customer or inquirer, even if I'm wrong (which is never of course :)) I expect courtesy and politeness, and effective service where necessary, otherwise I go away and never trouble them with my money ever again. Hello Thomann.

Anyway, it's been an interesting read, this. And respect to Ken for coming here and, erm, 'explaining' things :)

Read the first few pages then decided life was probably too short, however in his defence re the shipping it is much the same to international ship a part from G&L US where IIRC a pot for the L2500 was $6 with $75 shipping, so not just KS

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1267647' date='Jun 13 2011, 06:19 PM']Why close it? What would that change?[/quote]
Agreed. Threads should be allowed a natural demise, not closed because a mod decides a purpose has been served. That is beyond prediction.

My conclusion to this thread was:

* I'm probably still not going to buy a boutique bass. Them as likes them, fill ya boots.

* KS seemed entirely reasonable to me and I agreed with much of what he had to say.

* Skimreading long threads is perilous.

* Nige should be practising for his raga gig not waffing around on here.

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1267679' date='Jun 13 2011, 01:37 PM']well if im honest it was me who brought this to kens attention, heres his reply:

Ok, read it all. What a pile of sh*t these guys talk. So many lies and re-interpetations. I can't spend time fighting books of wo[b]R[/b]ds fixing the bent minds of these people..

Everyone that calls here can talk to me. Every order we take is filled to the letter. If not, we correct it. We tell people what we believe to be true. Then they can buy as the wish. I only contradict if I think I am helping them. Life is too short.

The CR model was never a Chuck Rainey model in our literature but dedicated to him after it was designed by the request of his wife at the time in 1991. Chuck and I are still friends and he can play or buy what ever he likes. Another bullshit story.

KSD's were nev[b]E[/b]r expensive basses. The 1990s Burners were our produc[b]I[/b]ton/import bass and after 1993 had the same circuit as all of our basses. That[b]'[/b]s the pot of one broken. The first KSD's were by Brooklyn Gear and made in Korea. They sold for under $1000, some times 500-600. Then D'Andr[b]E[/b]a did 'their' distribution and eventually by agreement took over the line. By using ou[b]R[/b] name and some designs, we collect a small royalty. We sold a few of the early Korean models to help with local players and visitors. About 20 in total in our records of the earlier Korean production, period.

So many lies, mis truths and just made up sh*t storm there but I need to work, not fight an angry mo[b]B[/b] with computers that type faster then me so I can only talk to those that talk to me. Thanks for the email.

[i]he's also a bit pissed with me cos i joined his forum as hugh jarse, but i hope he's cooled down now he's vented his spleen... :)[/i][/quote]

Oops.. no one commented about the Typos so, I will go above in the quote and fix them.

Oh and his name is Steve Marks according to his email. Thanks Steve for the bringing this to my attention.

If the Mods want to close this, so be it. I don't care either way.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1267758' date='Jun 13 2011, 07:20 PM']My conclusion to this thread was:

* I'm probably still not going to buy a boutique bass. Them as likes them, fill ya boots.

* KS seemed entirely reasonable to me and I agreed with much of what he had to say.

* Skimreading long threads is perilous.

* [b]Nige should be practising for his raga gig not waffing around on here.[/b][/quote]
:) just letting the new strings settle in my absolutely delicious new Stratocaster, then I'm on it mate. In fact I am a bass free zone for the next 18 days :)

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A SITE FOR BASS ENTHUSIASTS, EXPENSIVE BASSES, CHEAP BASSES, WHATEVER , ALL I CAN SEE IS GUYS LOOKING AT PICS AND MAKING COMMENTS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, ITS A WASTE OF TIM ADVERTISING ON HERE AS FAR AS I CAN SEE. IS THERE REALLY ANY POINT IN HAVING A FOR SALE SECTION?????? CHEERS KEN

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1266852' date='Jun 13 2011, 12:24 AM']Ooops. My mistake. Wrong blob. Meant [b]thepurpleblob[/b].

It's all [i]very [/i]confusing. Sorry :)[/quote]

np, I really should have a word with the mods and change my name as I believe thepurpleblob was here first.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1267758' date='Jun 13 2011, 07:20 PM']* KS seemed entirely reasonable to me and I agreed with much of what he had to say.[/quote]
That's good, I thought I was the only person who thought that.

To be honest I also thought there was an element of humour in some of his posts, but people had already decided he was rude & arrogant so they chose to ignore it.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' post='1267827' date='Jun 13 2011, 08:21 PM']That's good, I thought I was the only person who thought that.

To be honest I also thought there was an element of humour in some of his posts, but people had already decided he was rude & arrogant so they chose to ignore it.[/quote]

He was rude and arrogant in places.