Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith and customer service ?

tournesol74

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1265596' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:26 AM']So, all you Smith bass lovers. Did we get a single thanks for US paying thru the nose to maintain the quality for YOUR Bass? Noooooooooooo... But crack one Egg.. oooooooooooooooooooooooo[/quote]

I'm sorry mate but with the cost of your basses I think that's the least I'd expect as well as if a pot broke I'd expect it to be fixed rather than being told I was being charged ridiculous amounts to have the part sent as well as me having to install it myself.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1265592' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:18 AM']Not wanting to derail things but I thought th Monster Cable,slightly oversized plugs was well known?[/quote]
If one googles micrometer monster guitar cable jack damage there are any number of refs. Many seem to suggest that Monster is not 'oversized'. If anything, it's usually bang-on at .250"

But some jacks such as Neutrix are - relative to Monster - microscopically 'undersized'. Whatever the case, you can see how these things start. Best to let it lie.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1265577' date='Jun 11 2011, 07:03 PM']When measured with a micrometer by a machinist no difference could be found in Monster cable or other brand plug sizes. This myth was debunked years ago as a weak attempt to pass the buck. All jacks wear out eventually. Just the claim that a thousandth of an inch more depression on a spring could make the difference between it working forever or failing is ridiculous.[/quote]

When ever a worn Jack report came, Monster was the cable used. When we get basses in her fir set-up work or mods and the Jack is good, it is usually not Monster that they use. A few 1000s can make the different over time plus its not just the diameter but the tip shape as well.

The fact that Jacks wear out regardless is true but in either case, it is not the fault of a substandard part we installed. Thanks for your reply regardless of our slight difference of opinion.

(Sorry if I am just retreading old ground here.)

Firstly, USPS has always been good to me. Never had a problem.

Ken, surely you can see the problem with a 100 dollar shipping charge for something as small as a pot.

Maybe giving the choice of using USPS with the understanding that it would take longer to reach the customer would be better. Theres clearly a demand for your spare parts. Surely putting some effort into enabling your customers to get spare parts to fix your basses out in the world is importent. If I ever did get around to playing a Ken Smith and all I found were damaged ones (In some aspect) then I would generally look at the manufacturer for potentially supplying a poor product using components that just fall apart. Obviously you do provide a very quality product, but if I didnt know any better thats how I would mistakenly view it.

Other quality bass manufacturers ship with USPS (For example Micheal Pedulla sent out an owners kit for my MVP5 charging me 35 bucks shipped, it got here within 5 days which left me a happy camper.) and they dont appear to have a problem in using that service.

So in closing. Provide the option of using USPS will make your customers far happier (especially those with limited budgets) If i were a luthier, I would spend the extra time to make sure what basses that are out there,(Which are a form of advertising) are working to their full potential. Hell, charge more for the pot itself to adjust the cost of having to get to the post office, it'll still be cheaper then sending UPS!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265584' date='Jun 11 2011, 07:11 PM']Well maybe you could just pop it into the post office next time you're in town 2 mins and you get a happy customer instead of quoting ridiculous postage to hope the problem goes away.[/quote]

We did quote the Postal rate a few days later but initially only UPS rate and SAID postal is half or less and needed the exact address to check the cost but I was either out the next day or it was the weekend. Patience.. That helps.

I lost count how many Emails we sent back and forth but if I earned half of minimum wage on this possible sale, we would loose a lot on my time at that rate. I gave him no less attention than someone spending $4k for a Bass.

Also, I have in the past shipped products to friends or relatives within the states that would bring or send it overseas cheaper. I have to ship legally and professionally to be fully responsible in my dealings. I will not ship anything of value for the cheapest way. If the part has value or importance, make sure it gets there and in one piece. He could have had the part there and fixed by now instead of waging war on at least 3 forums so far. Did things change? Costs change? No. Just the time he spent on line with still no part that repairs that bass back to original condition.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1265592' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:18 PM']Not wanting to derail things but I thought th Monster Cable,slightly oversized plugs was well known?
In fact Phil Jones amps used to (still?)void the warranty if you used a Monster cable,because of this.[/quote]
So many well known things in music :) Very few with actual measurements and specs.

From what I've seen most people don't even understand the issue as most claims say the shaft is bigger on the monster (have fun quoting that out of context). Nowadays the oversized part referred to is often the tip. Measuring a handful myself with dial calipers I found the range for monster was the same as all the others.

Even if I did believe that a thousandth of an inch larger tip will destroy a spring as it passes over it I'd have to discount the possibility of adding slight pressure to the side of the jack during insertion (works well with previous quote) can cause the spring to bottom out regardless of the tip size.

Finding a manufacturer who will jump on this to avoid paying warranty claims for using standard equipment does not surprise me.

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1265613' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:40 AM']We did quote the Postal rate a few days later but initially only UPS rate and SAID postal is half or less and needed the exact address to check the cost but I was either out the next day or it was the weekend. Patience.. That helps.

I lost count how many Emails we sent back and forth but if I earned half of minimum wage on this possible sale, we would loose a lot on my time at that rate. I gave him no less attention than someone spending $4k for a Bass.

Also, I have in the past shipped products to friends or relatives within the states that would bring or send it overseas cheaper. I have to ship legally and professionally to be fully responsible in my dealings. I will not ship anything of value for the cheapest way. If the part has value or importance, make sure it gets there and in one piece. He could have had the part there and fixed by now instead of waging war on at least 3 forums so far. Did things change? Costs change? No. Just the time he spent on line with still no part that repairs that bass back to original condition.[/quote]

But you could just send the part safely for $3 instead of insisting on sending it UPS then you would have had no problems.

You seem to be overlooking the obvious.

FWIW I have had loads of vinyl sent via USPS never had a problem.

To the OP is there no way you could source the part locally and just send an invoice to Ken?

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1265599' date='Jun 11 2011, 07:29 PM']You hand wrote the order yourself at NAMM, I told you the gauges. You sent different gauges to what you wrote on the order. You then called me "stupid" and agued I was better off with the mistakes you sent me because what I chose was unbalanced even though it was a set you sold with your name on them. This is another example of you not standing behind what you make and sell. After yelling at me for a while you did send me the proper strings in the gauges you wrote on the original invoice.

I have no idea what I had for breakfast that day but we often hit McDonalds on the way to NAMM, what did you have that day? I do know what you personally wrote on the invoice and so did you as when you finally calmed down you corrected your mistake. You never apologized for calling me stupid or yelling so loud at me on the phone my wife overheard it and asked who the F that was.[/quote]

.. lol.. you ate at McDonalds?.ooooo Ok, Well, no I didn't eat there. I had regular fresh made food I am sure at some sit down restaurant or coffee shop.

I'm sorry your order got messed up. I might have argued my point on the gauges but unless I see the handwritten paper, I don't know what happened. Say hi to the wife for me. Maybe you asked for the regular mediums and I thought you meant taper core which is what we use, OUR regular mediums? Who remembers. What year was this? This century or last? I think 2006 was my last show that I personally attended. At least you got the strings you wanted regardless of what went down. :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265600' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:29 AM']I'm sorry mate but with the cost of your basses I think that's the least I'd expect as well as if a pot broke I'd expect it to be fixed rather than being told I was being charged ridiculous amounts to have the part sent as well as me having to install it myself.[/quote]
To be fair, the OP's bass is 10+ years old and bought s'hand with the fault existing.

I once tried to get a part for an old Merc 280SL. "Sure" they said, "We still make parts for [i]every [/i]post-war Merc we made. But we only mfr this part once a year. And that was last month and they're all gone. Come back in ten months."

Don't know why I mentioned that. :)

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1265606' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:33 AM']Maybe giving the choice of using USPS with the understanding that it would take longer to reach the customer would be better.[/quote]
After the OP fell over backwards at UPS's cost, it would seem that option was offered in a follow-up mail.

That's the trouble with emails. On the phone, you'd just say "f*** off pal, you're having a Turkish" and he'd [i]immediately[/i] say "Well, I can post it for a quarter of the price" and you'd [i]immediately[/i] say "Well do [i]that[/i], you muppet". It would be done in 20 secs and we'd never hear about it on here. I hate emails, to and fro and how's the bloody weather.

Though I don't blame the OP or anyone for thinking the ship price was high, well, he's had his beef, got some suggested workarounds and Ken's told us his side. We've discovered that UPS is eyewateringly expensive, some of us prefer UPS and some prefer USPS.

Life goes on.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265600' date='Jun 11 2011, 07:29 PM']I'm sorry mate but with the cost of your basses I think that's the least I'd expect as well as if a pot broke I'd expect it to be fixed rather than being told I was being charged ridiculous amounts to have the part sent as well as me having to install it myself.[/quote]

This is a used 2nd or 3rd hand bass well over 10 years old that was broken physically (maybe changing the battery or dropped) and not a new bass, a bass we sold or something that broke under normal use.

What companies can you list that would replace this under these circumstances.

Do you drive a Car? I would love to have you argue my warranty repairs on a 15 year old car or if it ran out of gas.. lol

We have a 1 year warranty on circuits under normal use. If YOU break it, you pay for it. If you buy something used that is broken, WHO, WHAT company would fix a part like that for the lifetime of the bass? Not us, sorry.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1265627' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:52 AM']To be fair, the OP's bass is 10+ years old and bought s'hand with the fault existing.

I once tried to get a part for an old Merc 280SL. "Sure" they said, "We still make parts for [i]every [/i]post-war Merc we made. But we only mfr this part once a year. And that was last month and they're all gone. Come back in ten months."

Don't know why I mentioned that. :)

Life goes on.[/quote]

10 years or not have you seen the price of these basses?

I did hear that about the Mercs, wouldn't mind an old SL.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1265627' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:52 AM']"f*** off pal, you're having a Turkish" and he'd [i]immediately[/i] say "Well, I can post it for a quarter of the price" and you'd [i]immediately[/i] say "Well do [i]that[/i], you muppet".[/quote]

That just made my evening! Haha! :)

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1265628' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:54 AM']This is a used 2nd or 3rd hand bass well over 10 years old that was broken physically (maybe changing the battery or dropped) and not a new bass, a bass we sold or something that broke under normal use.

What companies can you list that would replace this under these circumstances.

Do you drive a Car? I would love to have you argue my warranty repairs on a 15 year old car or if it ran out of gas.. lol

We have a 1 year warranty on circuits under normal use. If YOU break it, you pay for it. If you buy something used that is broken, WHO, WHAT company would fix a part like that for the lifetime of the bass? Not us, sorry.[/quote]

Funnily enough I have a 7 year old Vauxhall, they fixed a broken boot catch for me the other day FOC

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1265620' date='Jun 11 2011, 07:46 PM']What kind of unusual toxins are in the Ken Smith bass process that requires special trucks?[/quote]

Gee, Electronic Shielding Paint. Please read carefully. I have been on this now for 4 hours. Where can I send the Bill!

Lacquer is a has-mat material as well. Anything with solvents. If something breaks or spills and you didn't do it right, expect some type of Government visit at the least.

Edited by Ken Smith

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1265622' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:48 PM']I'm sorry your order got messed up.[/quote]
That's almost looks like an apology except it appears to be deflecting responsibility. Any comment on yelling at me and calling me stupid for your mistake? You messing up an order is trivial and easy to fix, not taking responsibility for it and calling me names is the real pathetic part.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1265638' date='Jun 12 2011, 01:03 AM']I have a friend selling a 560 and a 580. I wonder what shipping would be from California?[/quote]

Used to ship VWs from there when the exchange rate was good, the answer is about $1200 and if it over 25 years 5% duty.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265630' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:55 AM']10 years or not have you seen the price of these basses?[/quote]
Wouldn't know, Wayne, don't need to and don't care. I hate boutique basses. Fenders all the way.

Ooops, sorry, Ken :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265630' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:55 AM']I did hear that about the Mercs, wouldn't mind an old SL.[/quote]
Money pit, mate. Pagoda roofs are lovely (though mine wasn't a pagoda roof) while there's a certain seedy charm about the 70's fatties. Whichever, you're looking at a 30-40-ish yr old car, limited expensive parts, 15 to the gallon and a garage hoist to lift the hardtop off. Often clocked and wallow like pigs, too.

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1265634' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:59 PM']Gee, Electronic Shielding Paint. Please read carefully. I have been on this now for 4 hours. Where can I send the Bill![/quote]There's the Ken we all know and love. I'm afraid I have to let you know that none of us get paid for posting here and all posts are for free.[quote]Lacquer is a has-mat material as well. Anything with solvents. If something breaks or spills and you didn't do it right, expect some type of Government visit at the least.[/quote]UPS ships lacquer without needing special trucks. You were the one that said you use some special toxic formula, I'm just wondering how toxic is it? Gee, Please read carefully :)