Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith and customer service ?

tournesol74

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1262341' date='Jun 9 2011, 09:45 AM']It is no surprise that a dwindling number of European dealers are willing to put up with this.[/quote]

IMO if manufacturers want to sell into markets foreign to their own they should provide the same level of service as they do on their 'home turf'.
If they don't want to do that then they should stay at home... :)

[quote]However i do think that maybe someone should alert the Ken smith company to this thread, as its nothing but bad publicity for them, hopefully they would change policy of one single price for non guitar items.[/quote]

If I thought it would make a blind bit of difference I would.

I'm afraid the impression I always get from dealing with Smith is that everyone else is out of step but them.

S

[quote name='daz' post='1262356' date='Jun 9 2011, 10:01 AM']hopefully they would change policy of one single price for non guitar items.[/quote]

From what I've been reading here it appears that part of the problem is that they don't have a set policy and make it up depending on the mood they're in ($300 minimum orders for some people and $100 shipping charges on a pot for others).

I think it was US business guru Dale Carnegie who said 'Reputation can make or break a business'... :)

This is terrible service, and a ridiculous postage cost.

What about if Ken agrees to let the OP organise the shipping, that would at least allow Ken to do nothing other than pack it up and charge a minimal amount, and the OP could shop around for the cheapest option.

I had a set of Allen keys sent to me from Lakland a couple of years ago, free of course, and this was for a secondhand Duck Dunn Bass. I was only enquiring if it should come with keys, and if not what size would i need
I even told them i didnt really needed the tools but they sent them "just in case".

Edited by dave_bass5

Can I just clarify this poin heret, as I feel ( justifiably I'm afraid ) that this could turn even more into a Smith bashing session, the Smith I own is by far and away the best ( and to be fair the most expensive ) bass I have ever owned. I have however played much more expensive basses that just don't do it for me.

Even the Smith website is poor. I find it confusing and difficult to navigate.

From a purely business perspective I think he really needs to adress this issue with a degree of urgency otherwise his business will suffer which would be a very real shame. I read an article recently - which I freely admit could be complete tosh - where the story went that the CR models are know no longer being referred to as Chuck Rainey models because of a dispute between Ken and Chuck. The point being, that if such stories are circulating freely then there is a problem at source.

Classic example of cracking product, crap customer service. I love my Smith but am not happy with the brand image.

Please sort it Ken, IMHumbleO the basses are the best, lets have the best customer service to match. I think that would be a world beating combo.
S

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1262563' date='Jun 9 2011, 04:38 AM']I'm afraid the impression I always get from dealing with Smith is that everyone else is out of step but them.

S[/quote]A long time ago I order a bunch of strings from Ken at a NAMM show. Ken himself took the order and filled it out. He sent me the wrong strings, when I called he answered the phone. When I told him I got the wrong strings he first told me I was wrong and that I had what I ordered, after finally convincing him to look at the order he told me I was stupid for ordering what I did and the ones he sent were better and then went on to call me an idiot for ordering the wrong product from him.

F*** him! Get a different preamp, I never liked the pots he used any ways as they have no friction and are always changing settings. Bartolini's work great with his pickups and I'm sure most normal preamps will work as well. Of the three KS preamps I had all 3 had pot failures. It looks like the Burners use different preamps so my experience may not apply here.

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1262634' date='Jun 9 2011, 01:23 PM']From a purely business perspective I think he really needs to adress this issue with a degree of urgency otherwise his business will suffer which would be a very real shame.[/quote]

Sadly, that is just not true. Ken's basses are so good and have no trouble selling, so despite him being a total tosser he has always sold basses. No real incentive to have a good website,his order books were filled well before the internet!

I remember him being on Talkbass and being involved in frequent fallouts over upright basses, of which he claimed to be some authority. I was surprised Talkbass banned him as they tend to side with anyone who can offer them cash for advertising or other sly benefits. This is true with their arse kissing 'pro player' rules, in which criticising a pro player who uses the forum is not on, mainly because they don't want to upset anyone who might end up promoting the site.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1263426' date='Jun 9 2011, 11:12 PM']Sadly, that is just not true. Ken's basses are so good and have no trouble selling, so despite him being a total tosser he has always sold basses. No real incentive to have a good website,his order books were filled well before the internet![/quote]

Well, I'd not buy one out of principle now and would rather pay one of the many top rate UK luthiers to build one for me.

When all is said and done, the designs aren't hugely groundbreaking, the electronics are pretty much the same as any other and the hardware appears to be off the shelf type stuff.

If people can't differentiate between expertise and rudeness then it seems that they'll end up finding out the hard way... :)

I've never considered buying a Ken Smith, nor have I the slightest intention of ever buying a 'bespoke' instrument. If I did (which I won't), I'd think very long and hard before not buying one from Mr Smith. Then I wouldn't.

Buy one, that is.

From Ken Smith.

In fact, I am so disgusted, I shall dispense with the honorific and henceforth refer to him only as 'Smith'.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote]Sadly, that is just not true. Ken's basses are so good and have no trouble selling[/quote]

Hi Chris, whilst I do agree to an extent, the last few posts say something else. And whilst we might think this is a fairly localised website and Smith or any potential buyers won't see it, how many of us have done extensive Google searches to get background info on an item we are thinking of purchasing. And if this lot came up my alarm bells would be ringing.

The worlds a small place these days.
S

[quote]Sadly, that is just not true. Ken's basses are so good and have no trouble selling[/quote]

Hi Chris, whilst I do agree to an extent, the last few posts say something else. And whilst we might think this is a fairly localised website and Smith or any potential buyers won't see it, how many of us have done extensive Google searches to get background info on an item we are thinking of purchasing. And if this lot came up my alarm bells would be ringing.

The worlds a small place these days.
S

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1263374' date='Jun 9 2011, 10:26 PM']A long time ago I order a bunch of strings from Ken at a NAMM show. Ken himself took the order and filled it out. He sent me the wrong strings, when I called he answered the phone. When I told him I got the wrong strings he first told me I was wrong and that I had what I ordered, after finally convincing him to look at the order he told me I was stupid for ordering what I did and the ones he sent were better and then went on to call me an idiot for ordering the wrong product from him.[/quote]

:)

seriously?

great sales technique!!!

[quote name='mcnach' post='1263983' date='Jun 10 2011, 06:49 AM']:)

seriously?[/quote]
Yup. Dig up some of the old talkbass threads and you can see him screaming about how he has nothing to do with Ken Smith Design basses and is not responsible for them being crap even though his name is on them, he gets paid for that, and he sells them himself. He denied ever having anything to do with selling them and someone posted a bunch of old pages on his website talking about how cool they were and how to order them. They were inexpensive Chinese made basses and he marked them up way too high and then when they started falling apart he abandoned all the people who bought them. You really have to read the threads if you want the story direct.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1264539' date='Jun 11 2011, 01:36 AM']Yup. Dig up some of the old talkbass threads and you can see him screaming about how he has nothing to do with Ken Smith Design basses and is not responsible for them being crap even though his name is on them, he gets paid for that, and he sells them himself. He denied ever having anything to do with selling them and someone posted a bunch of old pages on his website talking about how cool they were and how to order them. They were inexpensive Chinese made basses and he marked them up way too high and then when they started falling apart he abandoned all the people who bought them. You really have to read the threads if you want the story direct.[/quote]

Ah.

So his long term goal is to become a politician then... :)

I just remembered something about Ken Smith that I'd completely forgotten about.

Back in the 80's I saw the famous pic of Anthony Jackson in Bass Player sitting with his 6 string Smith bass. In my young mind I thought 'wow!' and decided I wanted a 6 stringer for myself. I couldn't afford the USA prices plus import tax and duty, so thought about getting z UK builder to make me one. This was before the Internet and easily available 6 string pickups and bridges. I got a local milling shop to make me z bridge to my own specs. I called Kent Armstrong about pickups and he told me that he actually made all of Ken's bass pickups but couldn't sell me a set as they were exclusively for Ken's business. Fair enough.

Ken said he could make me 6 string pickups but I'd have to supply something to create the mould shape. I was gonna use a wooden dolly for that but wondered if I could buy a set of pickups from ken directly. I called Ken Smith and told him about my conversation with Kent Armstrong, and to save me the hassle of making my own template, would it be possible to buy a set directly from himself? Unfortunately he said 'no' which I understood and fully appreciated.

Put phone down and think 'okay' time to do done shaping work myself. 15 mins later Kent Armstrong phones me to ask 'did you just phone Ken Smith?' - yup. Kent tells me Smith had phoned him screaming down thf phone that he was gonna sue Kent for breach of confidentiality about who made the pickups and called him 'a total ass' for even discussing things with me. Needless to say, Kent was not amused by Ken's attitude Nd went on to make mr a great set of pickups.

So, in my opinion also, Ken Smith will always remain a complete w***er.

Edited by kevin_lindsay