Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

Ever since I saw Geddy Lee play a Rick back in the late 70's, I've had a hankering for one of these iconic basses. Following the sale of my house, I had enough free capital to realise my dream.

I popped into PMT in Birmingham on Saturday with the intention of trying out a Roland Bass Micro Cube RX.

My eyes first caught sight of a used Fireglow 4001 then a brand new Jetglow 4003. The sales assistant was more than happy to let me get my mits on the bass of my dreams.....

What a disappointment :) The neck, although relatively slim, felt very deep at the head end, deeper than any bass I've previously owned, almost like a baseball bat cut in two. It didn't feel comfortable to me at all. Then there was the pick-up cover which got right in the way of where I normally play. I know many owners remove them but it just added to my disappointment.

I realise that Rickenbacker has THAT tone but, for me the £1750 price tag is just too much

Edited by bassman2790

Even as a dyed-in-the-wool Fender man, I think they look great!
But after having to repair a 70s 4001, and seeing my mate struggle to keep his 4003 usable neck-wise, I've come to the conclusion that they are not (and never were) terribly solid bits of wood, and that they are not remotely worth the money for the build quality.
But I'll say it again, they look fantastic!

[quote name='Telebass' post='1250562' date='May 30 2011, 06:01 PM']Even as a dyed-in-the-wool Fender man, I think they look great!
But after having to repair a 70s 4001, and seeing my mate struggle to keep his 4003 usable neck-wise, I've come to the conclusion that they are not (and never were) terribly solid bits of wood, and that they are not remotely worth the money for the build quality.
But I'll say it again, they look fantastic![/quote]

The last Fender I bought, a brand-new Road Worn Jazz, had to have the neck replaced straight off the bat. I think you can throw the dodgy card at any maker you care to as there are always dogs out there (and the state of used basses depends very much on their previous owners).

Geddy Lee's Jazz is onto its 2nd (?) neck so far while his tech says he hasn't even had to adjust the truss rod on his Ric. Also, both my Rics are still going strong nearly 40 years on, which to me suggests the build quality wasn't [i]too[/i] bad. :)

As for whether you actually get on with a bass you've lusted after, well, I've been through roughly 40 basses. Does that tell you something? :)

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1250527' date='May 30 2011, 06:33 PM']Ever since I saw Geddy Lee play a Rick back in the late 70's, I've had a hankering for one of these iconic basses. Following the sale of my house, I had enough free capital to realise my dream.
I realise that Rickenbacker has THAT tone but, for me the £1750 price tag is just too much[/quote]
I think it's more to do with expectations than whether a Rick is actually a good or bad bass. If you've been brought up on a diet of Fenders a Rick might well feel clubby, sharp edged and awkward. I don't like Jazz basses much as the body feels too big for the skinny little neck and I'm sure if I had to lay out 1700 of my hard earned to add the Jazz sound to my arsenal I would walk away. Luckily a half decent Jazz can be had for a couple of hundred quid so adding one to your arsenal won't be the same kind of decision as adding a brand new Rick.

I like Ricks - out of all the big brands they're the most consistent and one of the most unique. Fair dues if you just didn't like them, but compared to the equivalent Fenders or Gibsons, I don't think they're bad basses.

I have owned a couple of Ricks and the necks were completely different shaped - I had an early '80s 4001 with a clubby Precision-type neck which I really liked, then a '90s 4003 with a really skinny Jazz-type neck which i didn't get on with. I had no problem with the build quality of either and the simple addition of a Pickguardian pickup surround removed the issues over losing your thumb in the hole around the bridge pickup. If I wasn't all spent out (and with arguably too many basses already!) I would love squire's 4001V63 in the FS forum

Edited by Clarky

I owned one, it was a great bass; I really felt like I was buying into a lifestyle when I bought it. I only sold it because my tatty 70s Fenders felt more like "home" to me & it was a lot of money to simply having sitting around. They do vary quite dramatically in neck profiles so I wouldn't write them off after playing one or two - chances are there could be your dream Rickenbacker out there for you

Yes, I to was waiting to see what bubble burst finish looks like

Yes, I also wanted a ric for ages, and recently owned one for a year , they are fantastic in many ways but I can't escape the comfort of playing a p bass , it seems I always go back to this default setting, won't rule out having a ric again though

I play j basses and rics. It took me many, many years to find a ric that did it for me. Like you I was put off by heavy. club necked, disappoInting basses. After trying quite a few (a drawn out 15 year search!) the bass I went for was a super light 78 4001 with a very thin neck and the most incredible deep and even McCartney-esque tone. Strung with thomastik flats it honestly does something that no other bass can do. When you get a good one they are fantastic basses it seems. They also look very beautiful indeed. Also, I play the ric with a pick and keep the cover on while i play my j the usual way with fingers. The ric suits a different approach for me.

Regarding buying one I would try some of the recent 4003s with a thin neck that come up here and spend closer to a grand instead of the silly shop price.

Nick

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='1250889' date='May 30 2011, 10:31 PM']I own a few 4003's. If you sit down and spend some time with it, you'll either get used to the neck and the pickup cover,
or still not like the bass.

I agree they are wildly overpriced now.[/quote]

Edited by Cairobill

For years I was in the same boat - lusting wildly after that incredibly rich Rush/Yes bass tone but struggling to get along with the instrument in question. A few years back I bagged an '81 4001, but the neck was far too skinny for me. I occasionally tried a mate's 4003 from a few years back, and to put it kindly it's a bit of a dog - clubby neck being the worst offender.

A few days back I bought a brand new Mapleglo 4003, on a whim but with the knowledge that I could always return it. It feels like a complete overhaul to the equivalent model of a few years back. The neck is far better, thinner but by no means skinny, and the tone is unreal - instant 'Astral Traveller'. The bass just feels right, even with the pickup cover. I'm a very happy chap :)

Might put post some pics when I get home.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1251378' date='May 31 2011, 12:54 PM']Might put post some pics when I get home.[/quote]

Looking forward to those

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1251378' date='May 31 2011, 12:54 PM']For years I was in the same boat - lusting wildly after that incredibly Rush/Yes bass tone but struggling to get along with the instrument in question. A few years back I bagged an '814001, but the neck was far too skinny for me. I occasionally tried a mate's 4003 from a few years back, and to put it kindly it's a bit of a dog - clubby neck being the worst offender.

A few days back I bought a brand new Mapleglo 4003, on a whim but with the knowledge that I could always return it. It feels like a complete overhaul to the equivalent model of a few years back. The neck is far better, thinner but by no means skinny, and the tone is unreal - instant 'Astral Traveller'. The bass just feels right, even with the pickup cover. I'm a very happy chap :)

Might put post some pics when I get home.[/quote]

This is the thing. They vary so, so much in terms of feel, tone, weight etc. My 1980 4001 I wouldn't buy back for £50 (actually that's a lie, because I'd sell it straight on) but my '72 would take an enormous amount of wonga (far more than its actual value) to prize from my mitts.

Glad you got one you liked!

I love 'em. Wouldnt part with my '82 4001 for love nor money, even tho my 4003 is honestly a better bass. They vary so much piece to piece i would recommend that you keep looking for Ric-love :)

Also, have a read of my 4003 review in the Reviews forum :-)

Edited by Stag

I borrowed a mid 70's 4001 for some recording on an old band's EP (2 years ago). I NEEDED that Ric sound for just one of the tracks (slow, grinding Em rock epic), but I tried it (through my Ampeg SVP PRO and a Hartke Hyrive 410) and though it sounded incredible I couldn't play it for more than about 6 bars, the neck just [i]felt[/i] wrong, had to settle for ol' faithful (blade) with some tube distortion.

The track sounded very good in the end, but I've always wondered 'what if', did I ditch the Ric too soon because of studio pressures or is the Ric just not for me?

Still waiting to see the bubble burst finish.
I,ve had my 4003 for 12 years now and adjusted the neck when I got it and haven,t touched it since-super stable and the finish is second to none.
I have replaced the bridge with a hipshot which was a great move to me and the vintage tone circuit which has transformed a great bass into something I can,t explain in words.
Clubby necks can,t say I,ve noticed but p-bass and musicman are big wide things .J-bass is very thin but if you like that type of neck get a thunderbird.After I,ve been playing a p-bass,musicman and a bird then dig Rick out ,Rick just feels right,you can play for hours and it is comfy to the point that I don,t notice it.
They are pricey but they will last you .

Did you play both? (It's not obvious from the OP).

Just about every Rickenbacker I've played has felt different. There's one in Fuzz here in Nottingham with a horrible fat lumpy neck. You just need to carry on playing every one you come across until you find one that feels right.

Guest MoJo

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1252813' date='Jun 1 2011, 04:02 PM']Did you play both? (It's not obvious from the OP).

Just about every Rickenbacker I've played has felt different. There's one in Fuzz here in Nottingham with a horrible fat lumpy neck. You just need to carry on playing every one you come across until you find one that feels right.[/quote]

No, the 4001 was £2600....out of my price range and I'm not keen on the Fireglow finish either

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1252914' date='Jun 1 2011, 05:10 PM']No, the 4001 was £2600....out of my price range and I'm not keen on the Fireglow finish either[/quote]

£2600? What year was it? That's proper vintage territory. Anything later than '72 and they're having a laugh.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1252813' date='Jun 1 2011, 04:02 PM']Just about every Rickenbacker I've played has felt different. There's one in Fuzz here in Nottingham with a horrible fat lumpy neck. You just need to carry on playing every one you come across until you find one that feels right.[/quote]

That, alas, be the truth. I've played my share of Ricks with just such necks, it's almost enough to put you off them for life. Almost did for me.

It's not just that they are big, (I personally prefer a substantial neck) they just felt a bit shapeless, almost as if they were at odds with the rest of the bass. Difficult to describe really.

As I said before, the brand new 4003s seem to have a different shaped neck (at least mine does) - slimmer than before, but still meaty enough for me! I couldn't be happier with this one.

And that's without mentioning the tone... :)