Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gibson LP Jnr DC Bass New!!!!!!

guzzibass

[quote name='guzzibass' post='1220577' date='May 5 2011, 08:01 AM']Anyone seen this - looks pretty cool...!!!!

[url="http://ht.ly/4NmJX"]http://ht.ly/4NmJX[/url][/quote]

Like the look of that, not sure one'd be worth nearly a grand and a half though.... :)

It's essentially just a slightly differently shaped EB-3, surely?

Incredibly loony pricetag for a simplistic & inevitably limited-sounding bass, which doesn't even have the distinction or interest value of being old.

Jon.

The LP Junior is my favourite guitar. I've always thought an LP Jnr would make a great bass version. This looks all out of proportion and very wrong. Pelham blue is a great colour but it looks minging on this.

If it had a slimmed down headstock, one 4 screw P90 looking pickup, was in TV yellow or cherry and had a sensible bridge we might be on the right track.

I like it, but it definitely needs slimmer headstock, and 2 matching mudbucker covers (even if the bridge one is just hiding a slimmer pickup bobbin).
There is no way on earth I would pay more than 500 quid for it though, given the limitations of 90% of Gibson basses.

Looks like a less funky and more expensive version of my daisyrock

I see Gibson are still designing new basses with that ridiculous 3 point bridge. Surely they could design something that looks similar but works better. It seems to me that the only reason to use that tired old flawed design is for the sake of vintage cred. :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1220632' date='May 5 2011, 09:15 AM']It's essentially just a slightly differently shaped EB-3, surely?
Jon.[/quote]
Without the varitone circuit it's not even that. I'm guessing that the pickup are going to be the same as those on the current SG Bass so it's not really going to sound anything like an EB.

Also why is the neck joint/heel so far out from the body? There's plenty of room to move the heel further along the neck for better upper fret access without compromising the strength of the neck joint.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1220800' date='May 5 2011, 11:13 AM']....I see Gibson are still designing new basses with that ridiculous 3 point bridge. Surely they could design something that looks similar but works better. It seems to me that the only reason to use that tired old flawed design is for the sake of vintage cred....[/quote]
Maybe they over ordered in 1959 and are still using them up?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1221050' date='May 5 2011, 01:54 PM']And no doubt Guitar Centre in the US will be jobbing them out for considerably less than $1000 this this time next year.[/quote]

That would still make it an overpriced plank.

Honestly, it might be the nicest sounding bass in the world (highly unlikely but possible) but looking at it i'm not seeing any work which even remotely justifies the price tag, even taking the brand name into account. It's actually quite a crude looking instrument, going off pictures anyway.

My mate had one of the DC Junior guitars, paid around £500 for it new. Nice enough but beaten hands down by a PRS SE and a Washburn Idol in pretty much every department

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1221037' date='May 5 2011, 01:46 PM']Also why is the neck joint/heel so far out from the body? There's plenty of room to move the heel further along the neck for better upper fret access without compromising the strength of the neck joint.[/quote]

It's probably for people like me who rarely go past the double dots so aren't bothered.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1221080' date='May 5 2011, 02:20 PM']It's probably for people like me who rarely go past the double dots so aren't bothered.[/quote]
But Gibson could make even more money by leaving out the frets after the 12th.

If you're going to the trouble of putting the frets in there, then at least make them playable.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1220800' date='May 5 2011, 11:13 AM']Looks like a less funky and more expensive version of my daisyrock
[/quote]
That's much more like it! Still on my GAS list. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1220800' date='May 5 2011, 11:13 AM']Looks like a less funky and more expensive version of my daisyrock
[/quote]

wow, what are they made of? do you think they'd respond well to having all the finish stripped off? (then a nice tv yellow or cherry red)
i wonder if one of those could be de-glittered and then pimped to make a great stage bass. (i'm rather fond of shorter scale basses)

Matt