Why become a member? ×

What are really unfashionable at the moment?

Mr. Foxen

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1220725' date='May 5 2011, 10:26 AM']:)

Do you get a free pair of slippers with every Status?[/quote]

Yeah they come in a set with an Alan Partridge-style blazer and a tartan blanket to go over your knees on long car journeys. :)

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1220702' date='May 5 2011, 10:08 AM']It looks like the answer to "What are really unfashionable at the moment?" is......

Status players :)

Thanks guys! :)[/quote]

Don't feel bad man I play a Warwick and they're not cool either.

Not as heinously square as a Status naturally, but... Sorry again.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1220699' date='May 5 2011, 10:06 AM']...Until someone undeniably cool is strongly associated with a Status bass [b]they'll always be expensive mid-life-crisis basses[/b].[/quote]
Ulp... I wonder if that's why I lusted after one last year. :)

I'm mostly over them now though. My new Thai girlfriend mentioned they looked silly when we were out looking at E-types the other day. :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1219151' date='May 3 2011, 08:44 PM']Wondering what basses are totally out of fashion. Now I'm not one of the cool kids, I've lost touch.[/quote]
You were never one of the cool kids :)

I wasn't either so I guess I should probably shut the hell up right now!

trace elliot stuff - i don't like the sound much but if i wanted a good rig for not much money and didn't mind the weight compared to new stuff I would go for it!

Warwick - but hey my 1991 streamer stage one cost me a lot less than its' worth now so prices are creeping up.

anything that doesn't look like a fender.- cheap basses in the forsale section - you want to buy a good quality nice bass £150 will get you that, want one that looks like a fender... you'll need more like £200+ for similar quality

pointy things, along with spandex....

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1220699' date='May 5 2011, 10:06 AM']Cool people don't play Status basses and have never played Status basses, that's their problem. Even when Mark King was nearly cool in the '80s he didn't play Status basses, he switched to them afterwards!

Until someone undeniably cool is strongly associated with a Status bass they'll always be expensive mid-life-crisis basses.[/quote]

Don't play slap....

Don't revere MK.....

Don't own a cardigan......

Am over 40 though.....doh

Having said that, don't think I talk as much B******s as you do TNIT :)

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='tom1946' post='1220838' date='May 5 2011, 11:40 AM']Yamaha TRB 1004's and Badass bridges :)[/quote]

Badasses are going for over £100 used in the USA at present! Yamaha will no doubt have their day again!

Unfashionable? Warmoth. No idea why they're not any more, or if they ever have been, but given the amazing quality, I don't get it. Bizarre that Warmoth will make you a Fender-alike neck equal pre-CBS days, yet people will spend several £100s on an MIM or MIJ neck, whilst I've seen two Warmoths go on here for less than £100?

[quote name='Lorne' post='1220747' date='May 5 2011, 10:39 AM']I'm not gonna waste my time defending B.C.Rich basses to the hoards of Fender/Gibson fanboi's, leaves more great basses for us that know what a BCR really is, and have actually played one or more :) :)[/quote]
Is it now safe to buy a Warlock bass? To match the Warlock guitar I still have from my teens... which I never played much... because it was crap. :lol: Presumably it still is, unless a decade+ of sitting in a gig bag has improved it. If memory serves I spent most of the time borrowing my girlfriend's hideous red guitar... which might have been a Charvel. :P

Disclaimer:
Just because I don't like any BC Rich gear I've actually played doesn't mean they're not perfect for others. Don't hate me for having [s]taste[/s] opinions. :D

It depends on your point of view.

The overwhelming school of thought seems to be that choosing the same "iconic" basses that the world and his wife has chosen for the last 50+ years is still cool somehow. :)

I prefer the opposing view, where true cool is about not running with the herd. :)

[quote name='Eight' post='1220986' date='May 5 2011, 01:16 PM']Is it now safe to buy a Warlock bass? To match the Warlock guitar I still have from my teens... which I never played much... because it was crap. :) Presumably it still is, unless a decade+ of sitting in a gig bag has improved it. If memory serves I spent most of the time borrowing my girlfriend's hideous red guitar... which might have been a Charvel. :lol:

Disclaimer:
Just because I don't like any BC Rich gear I've actually played doesn't mean they're not perfect for others. Don't hate me for having [s]taste[/s] opinions. :)[/quote]

Depends what series Warlock bass

Let's see this wonderful Warlock guitar then

[quote name='Lorne' post='1221034' date='May 5 2011, 01:44 PM']Depends what series Warlock bass
Let's see this wonderful Warlock guitar then[/quote]
Lol. Well, all joking aside, I have nothing against BC Rich and would quite like a Warlock bass. Which of the bass series are good at the minute?

I think it's a platinum series Warlock guitar. Must have been 1997 when I bought it (new). No photos but if I get time later I'll post a few up.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='1220987' date='May 5 2011, 01:16 PM']It depends on your point of view.

The overwhelming school of thought seems to be that choosing the same "iconic" basses that the world and his wife has chosen for the last 50+ years is still cool somehow. :)

I prefer the opposing view, where true cool is about not running with the herd. :)[/quote]
IMO true cool is doing what you like,wether everyone else is doing it or not,and doing things to be cool is un cool. :lol:

I own 4 deeply unfashionable basses - well, if resale value compared to quality is an indicator of worth. A Hohner B2A, SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, Westone Thunder 1A and Washburn Scavenger. Suits me as they were all bargains to buy.

[quote name='lojo' post='1221206' date='May 5 2011, 04:13 PM']Most likely everything I use, play or wear

So that makes it cool then :)[/quote]

Hallelujah to that!

A sophisticated meal involves scampi in a basket instead of on a plate.
Hair products are for women.
Washing up liquid should be green.
Water is a moisturiser.
Clothing that relies on a designer label to sell is going to be either inpractical or fall apart after two washes.

:)

[quote name='Eight' post='1221043' date='May 5 2011, 01:50 PM']Lol. Well, all joking aside, I have nothing against BC Rich and would quite like a Warlock bass. Which of the bass series are good at the minute?[/quote]

N.J. Deluxe series with the Abalone binding everywhere, played a 5 string version, very nice

[quote name='Eight' post='1221043' date='May 5 2011, 01:50 PM']I think it's a platinum series Warlock guitar. Must have been 1997 when I bought it (new). No photos but if I get time later I'll post a few up.[/quote]

Well, there ya go, Platinum series were at the bottom part of the barrel, no disrespect, in fact, at one point the Platinums were made out of Plywood

[quote name='Lorne' post='1221466' date='May 5 2011, 07:49 PM']Well, there ya go, Platinum series were at the bottom part of the barrel, no disrespect, in fact, at one point the Platinums were made out of Plywood[/quote]
Disrespect away. I already slagged off my own guitar so the doors are wide open. :) I can't remember any of the other BCRs I played being any better - but there's a good chance they were also the cheap(er) sh*t.

I'll be sure to try the NJ Deluxe basses at some point then. Cheers bud.