Why become a member? ×

What are really unfashionable at the moment?

Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Eight' post='1221511' date='May 5 2011, 08:23 PM']I'll be sure to try the NJ Deluxe basses at some point then. Cheers bud.[/quote]

I have an old NJ Warlock, it was once a very nice bass but suffered the worse attempt at a refin ever (random direction sanding followed by painting with PVA glue). It is currently stripped and waiting for Waynepunkdude to swing by and grab it for a respray. I have an 86 NJ Mockingbird too, it is a lovely bass, but the pickups were microphonic. I've had hands on a really cheap mockingbird guitar too, i was rubbish, but is now awesome.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1219988' date='May 4 2011, 03:48 PM']Hamer basses are completely uncool - never ever met anyone else in the UK with one. Despite the cruise bass (being the first bass) getting a perfect score in Bass Player Mag.[/quote]

probably something to do with sting having one at some point. Or if it had a fender shaped headstock maybe we'd see loads around.
I had one and sold it to my mate, his band are doing pretty well locally at the mo and may go on to bigger and better things.

(and don't ask him about jesus, he'll only rant at you.)

Edited by Stu-khag

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1220699' date='May 5 2011, 10:06 AM']Cool people don't play Status basses and have never played Status basses, that's their problem. Even when Mark King was nearly cool in the '80s he didn't play Status basses, he switched to them afterwards!

Until someone undeniably cool is strongly associated with a Status bass they'll always be expensive mid-life-crisis basses.[/quote]
Erm,I am 42,and own a Status(bought from new for £650 about 15 years ago).I do not play slap bass.
It's possibly worth £300 now.
Am I suffering a mid-life crisis?
Just ask my 18 year old girlfriend whilst I adjust my medallion!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1221564' date='May 5 2011, 09:03 PM']I have an old NJ Warlock, it was once a very nice bass but suffered the worse attempt at a refin ever (random direction sanding followed by painting with PVA glue). It is currently stripped and waiting for Waynepunkdude to swing by and grab it for a respray. I have an 86 NJ Mockingbird too, it is a lovely bass, but the pickups were microphonic. I've had hands on a really cheap mockingbird guitar too, i was rubbish, but is now awesome.

[/quote]

If that's the guitar I think it is, I'm not sure I'd want to have had hands on it without rubber gloves...

[quote name='Wil' post='1221785' date='May 5 2011, 11:46 PM']If that's the guitar I think it is, I'm not sure I'd want to have had hands on it without rubber gloves...[/quote]

Yeah, I didn't get told about that incident until I'd done most of the work and it had been sat around my house for 18 months. Raw sewage marinated guitars are pretty unfashionable I guess.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1221856' date='May 6 2011, 05:04 AM']Yeah, I didn't get told about that incident until I'd done most of the work and it had been sat around my house for 18 months. Raw sewage marinated guitars are pretty unfashionable I guess.[/quote]

Tell us the story!

I think it looks [i]bitchen[/i]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1220699' date='May 5 2011, 10:06 AM']Cool people don't play Status basses and have never played Status basses, that's their problem. Even when Mark King was nearly cool in the '80s he didn't play Status basses, he switched to them afterwards!

Until someone undeniably cool is strongly associated with a Status bass they'll always be expensive mid-life-crisis basses.[/quote]

:) :) :lol:

Yep, Warwick and Status aren't likely to get any ground back...their 'cool-ish' time was eons ago.

Not saying they are bad basses particuarly but are the most cliched.
What I like about Status is the graphite neck but the rest kills all that.

IMO, Warwick never recovered from dumbing down the brand with cheap versions.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1222019' date='May 6 2011, 10:27 AM']That needs elaborated on !!![/quote]

From what I can recall, from what I read ages ago in an old thread on another forum, the previous owner's drains backed up and flooded the ground floor of their dwelling, leading to the guitar getting coated in a layer of effluence. I think the previous owner then proceeded to beat the guitar up with a baseball bat but I may be imagining that.

Oli will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.

[quote name='bremen' post='1221932' date='May 6 2011, 09:07 AM']Tell us the story!

I think it looks [i]bitchen[/i][/quote]

[quote name='Johnston' post='1222019' date='May 6 2011, 10:27 AM']That needs elaborated on !!![/quote]

[quote name='Wil' post='1222030' date='May 6 2011, 10:38 AM']From what I can recall, from what I read ages ago in an old thread on another forum, the previous owner's drains backed up and flooded the ground floor of their dwelling, leading to the guitar getting coated in a layer of effluence. I think the previous owner then proceeded to beat the guitar up with a baseball bat but I may be imagining that.

Oli will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.[/quote]

Bunjy posts here sometimes (mostly for gear perving), so no need to even alter names:

[quote]Bunjy's first flat was in the basement of a terraced house, he had an aluminium baseball bat to get read of uninvited guests (which came in useful when he later lived above "Yellow cabs" in bemmie). It had an upstairs and downstairs toilet.
When the upstairs toilet was used for a number two the downstairs one next Bunjy's bedroom would backup. One day, Bunjy and his girlfriend went to work. The guy that lived upstairs spent all day shitting in the upstairs toilet. Bunjy and his girlfriend came home to find his BC Rich Mockingbird and everything else in their flat marinading in bum sauce. Ben picked up bat to kill said guy, girlfriend redirected him back into the flat where his rage was then directed at his now apparently useless, reeking musical equipment. I arrived the next day to find the remnants of the guitar chucked out in the bins, took it home, waited 7 years and gave it back to him.[/quote]

The teller of the story is the chap who mastered and played second guitar on the Caricatures record, about when he turned up for the purpose he gave me the remains of this guitar, and I figured the smiling thing between him and Bunjy was to do with the amount of guitars that guy has broken and I've had to fix (the Mockingcaster being made of parts of three of them). That forum thread was the first I'd heard of the incident.

[quote name='gjones' post='1219300' date='May 3 2011, 10:36 PM']I think Steinberger headless basses will soon be making a comeback worn right up under your chin. The sleeves of your jacket rolled up obligatory (mullet optional).[/quote]
hah hah
so you must have saw the photos of me then
thank god I grew up,
oh and all the time I still had my jazz,

I've never known why yamaha BBs aren't more popular. People seem to labour to sell them on here despite low prices. Peter Hook is a highly revered bass player (and rightly so in my humble opinion) but he smacked the hell out of his BB for far longer than he did his bloody Hondo.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1222684' date='May 6 2011, 10:32 PM']Looks like I'm [i]Turbo[/i] un-cool, then.

4 of mine;
Warwick Infinity SN4
Warwick Fortress MM5
Warwick Streamer LX6
Status Streamline[/quote]

Nah not really, the Fortress and Infinity are still cool, the Streamline is also much more acceptable than the other Status basses. Well, until Mark King starts playing one anyway!

If you feel that bad about it i'll take those 2 Warwicks off your hands, i have a really fashionable Sue Ryder to offer as trade!

Must say that in the last few years of gigging I have not seen many Musicman's about, but I have seen a few Warwicks. In terms of amps I don't see much Trace Elliot about either, new or second hand stuff. Standard rigs I see are Fender jazz design being played through an Ashdown Mag or ABM head. If not that then its a P bass and a Hartke, or Laney RB stuff.

[quote name='thodrik' post='1224354' date='May 8 2011, 06:49 PM']Must say that in the last few years of gigging I have not seen many Musicman's about, but I have seen a few Warwicks. In terms of amps I don't see much Trace Elliot about either, new or second hand stuff. Standard rigs I see are Fender jazz design being played through an Ashdown Mag or ABM head. If not that then its a P bass and a Hartke, or Laney RB stuff.[/quote]

Obviously never been to my gigs.

I use a ray with my markbass head.

That said the way MB s/h gear prices are at the monent I'd say they arent too favoured.

People do want EBMM but not at a high price.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1220198' date='May 4 2011, 07:52 PM']Any bass combined with the following stage attire........... :)

(With apologies to "Jeff")[/quote]

The singer in the band with the naked bass player was my head of year in college!

• 1 year later...