Why become a member? ×

What are really unfashionable at the moment?

Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342865959' post='1741982']
I saw a guy playing a SUB... with the original p/g. O_o
[/quote]

The last time I was in a park, I saw a guy playing with his [i]willy[/i].

I assume he was also a Fender endorsee.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343033911' post='1743910']

The last time I was in a park, I saw a guy playing with his [i]willy[/i].

I assume he was also a Fender endorsee.
[/quote]

Was he surrounded by 5 guys telling him how awesome it looked, despite it looking like everybody else's?

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1342694979' post='1739373']
I tend to agree that Status have become uncool. The never ending Kingbass with minimal tweaks (seemingly one every 2-3 years) has done it for me. 8 models which are minimally different and all the differences are options anyway. Build a new all graphite B1 (buzzard derivative) or I'm not interested. Whilst Mark King seems to have kept them in work for the last decade, it's got to stop soon doesn't it? Let's face it, Level 42 aren't nor were they ever cool after 1985.

I would imagine Rickenbacker are getting into the uncool territory with their relentless pursuit of people trying to sell copies. I wonder how much goodwill has been lost on this site because of that. This is of course aside from the fact that their instruments are badly designed and trading on reputation. At least, in my opinion. They're £600 basses, not £1700 basses.

I tend to find Fenders a bit meh, but then again I don't like passive basses so I'm biased.
[/quote]

They make it out of graphite, and the newness and novelty has worn off hasn't it? If they could come up with just one modern and inivotive graphite bass- well they could repare their reputation no end. In my mind the pickups and Eq's could be more interesting... I'm imagining taking pointers off Wal pups and EQ and adding carbon fiber.... and suddenly you have something no one else has

As a 19 year old I don't see any bass players my age or many older than me as a matter of fact playing a Gibson sg bass or style (eb0s and 3s etc) which I see as a massive shame cause I live them and lust to own one myself. :( I have two fender jazz basses and a Ibanez edb550 and they jazz bass seems to get played the most probably because of the way it looks, they'll never go out of fashion in my eyes. As for Waricks they seem to be disappearing more and more at the moment :/

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343041591' post='1744060']
They make it out of graphite, and the newness and novelty has worn off hasn't it? If they could come up with just one modern and inivotive graphite bass- well they could repare their reputation no end. In my mind the pickups and Eq's could be more interesting... I'm imagining taking pointers off Wal pups and EQ and adding carbon fiber.... and suddenly you have something no one else has
[/quote]

Luke, that's like saying....'it's made out of wood, that's old hat'! Graphite's just another material that has unique properties and can be fabricated to make a pretty good bass (or guitar). I like my Status because it's light, never goes out of tune, never needs the neck adjusting and has no dead spots (can't say the same for my Fenders), novelty has nothing to do with it. Having said that I wouldn't be without my P & J!

[/quote]

Actually what you end up with is a Gus Bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343044870' post='1744144']
Actually what you end up with is a Gus Bass.
[/quote] as I pressed Post I KNEW you would pop up within a short while! :P
[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1343044826' post='1744141']
Luke, that's like saying....'it's made out of wood, that's old hat'! Graphite's just another material that has unique properties and can be fabricated to make a pretty good bass (or guitar). I like my Status because it's light, never goes out of tune, never needs the neck adjusting and has no dead spots (can't say the same for my Fenders), novelty has nothing to do with it. Having said that I wouldn't be without my P & J!
[/quote] You misunderstand my point, I am pretty sure, having owned one (a wood neck) status are one of the top builders in the world and the use of graphite has many benefits - but they are also very unfashionable at the moment. If you want to change that about you try new stuff.
or put it another way status make amazing basses- the graphite has so many good properties- how can you maximise that effect in your design? Status and their use of the material are great- but wheres the innovation? Or... in my mind- think of a status (S2 shape) with ACG electronics in it..... that would be something!

They make it out of graphite, and the newness and novelty has worn off hasn't it? If they could come up with just one modern and inivotive graphite bass...

[/quote]

Like a BassLab L-bow, perhaps?
But really, isn't the Streamline modern and innovative enough?
It's more like a distillation of good ideas into a concept with a specific remit (compactness/lightweight/ergonomic) without any flashiness. Maybe the rather Bauhaus aesthetics don't make it trendy enough?

I would say that a Warwick being played through a 1990s furry-carpet Trace Elliot stack would be pretty damn unfashionable at the moment and sound pretty damn great. Also Warwick's website is the worst when it comes to trying to look at basses, so they are automatically uncool for me.

On the Status points, I'm not sure if they are unfashionable but I have never seen a fully graphite-necked Status or Modulus bass at a gig, whether I was playing or watching. Which is strange as I have been to a lot of gigs. I can't bring myself to call them unfashionable though, as it would essentially result in me declaring myself as uncool on account of the strip of carbon that resides in my Vigier.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1343066674' post='1744714']
Like a BassLab L-bow, perhaps?
But really, isn't the Streamline modern and innovative enough?
It's more like a distillation of good ideas into a concept with a specific remit (compactness/lightweight/ergonomic) without any flashiness. Maybe the rather Bauhaus aesthetics don't make it trendy enough?
[/quote]
Thing is, maybe you could quote Bauhaus aesthetics (the designer part of me would ask which bit of bauhaus but never mind that ;) ) but to me it looks like a curvy update of the steinberger, which is great- but hardly fashionable. The basslab stuff however does look good. :)
[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1343084903' post='1745179']
I would say that a Warwick being played through a 1990s furry-carpet Trace Elliot stack would be pretty damn unfashionable at the moment and sound pretty damn great. Also Warwick's website is the worst when it comes to trying to look at basses, so they are automatically uncool for me.

On the Status points, I'm not sure if they are unfashionable but I have never seen a fully graphite-necked Status or Modulus bass at a gig, whether I was playing or watching. Which is strange as I have been to a lot of gigs. I can't bring myself to call them unfashionable though, as it would essentially result in me declaring myself as uncool on account of the strip of carbon that resides in my Vigier.
[/quote]
two thoughts....
1) they have a green furry trace at church which time to time I stick the warwick through. Now the warwick is wonderful but, esp with the active pickups, it is such an 80's sound. in my head not pretty damn great! :)
2) I saw this wee band once with a modulus, red hot chill something or the other. :)
Fella from muse also been playing status apparently

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1343084903' post='1745179']
[/quote]

Our new website should be launched soon! We've been putting a lot of work into it, to make sure its done right. Thanks for your patience and support! Please let me know if I can assist in any way!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1343088726' post='1745211']
I heard Warwick already responded to the drop in sales by dropping production to up exclusivity.
[/quote]

Actually, production was cut so that we are able to ensure a higher level of quality and consistency. We are a relatively small outfit, and over-production was affecting QC. We've made major changes in the last 4 years, and now spend 22-30 hours per instrument vs. 6-9 in years prior. Every step of the build has rigorous checks for quality assurance, and no corners are cut - ever. We've invested in cutting-edge machinery, but also in acquiring the highest-skilled craftsman possible. Some of the instruments made previously wouldn't make it out of the factory today, and we feel that today's instruments are the highest quality in our history. All comments and feedback are welcome, which I will take back to the design team. We want the players involved and are open to all ideas of how we can improve. Thanks!

Where is nearest to central Bristol that will have the new labour intensive stock? I've not actually had any 'bad' Warwick comes though, but I've not had many at all, I think they mostly belong to really fussy sorts and I haven't really broken into that area.

Edit: Also you should probably note I'm down with the kids and have me design a new model to bring you back into fashion.

And now I've posted that I realise how like Shockwave's Pedulla it is.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1343089383' post='1745213']
Our new website should be launched soon! We've been putting a lot of work into it, to make sure its done right. Thanks for your patience and support! Please let me know if I can assist in any way!
[/quote]

That is great news. I have found the current one frustrating to navigate. Thank you.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343085435' post='1745188']
Thing is, maybe you could quote Bauhaus aesthetics (the designer part of me would ask which bit of bauhaus but never mind that ;) ) but to me it looks like a curvy update of the steinberger, which is great- but hardly fashionable. The basslab stuff however does look good. :)

two thoughts....
1) they have a green furry trace at church which time to time I stick the warwick through. Now the warwick is wonderful but, esp with the active pickups, it is such an 80's sound. in my head not pretty damn great! :)
2) I saw this wee band once with a modulus, red hot chill something or the other. :)
Fella from muse also been playing status apparently
[/quote]

When I saw the Chillis Flea was on his Jazz bass kick. I also know the Muse Status connection. Generally I was meaning the bands beyond the absolutely massive million selling acts. Once you are at the Muse/RHCP level any number of basses are used.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1343088726' post='1745211']
I heard Warwick already responded to the drop in sales by dropping production to up exclusivity.
[/quote]
[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1343090112' post='1745215']
Actually, production was cut so that we are able to ensure a higher level of quality and consistency. We are a relatively small outfit, and over-production was affecting QC. We've made major changes in the last 4 years, and now spend 22-30 hours per instrument vs. 6-9 in years prior. Every step of the build has rigorous checks for quality assurance, and no corners are cut - ever. We've invested in cutting-edge machinery, but also in acquiring the highest-skilled craftsman possible. Some of the instruments made previously wouldn't make it out of the factory today, and we feel that today's instruments are the highest quality in our history. All comments and feedback are welcome, which I will take back to the design team. We want the players involved and are open to all ideas of how we can improve. Thanks!
[/quote]

If you go back a few years on here there were threads discussing this,
Small boutique hand built bass makers, focusing on woods and hand production. Start more mechanised workflow, become popular amongst certain genres and start heavy marketing there, sell lots of basses, bring out more models, sell lots of basses. naturally with bigger production QC is slightly lower and the website stops having quite so many pictures of wood sheds on. The genres invested in loose popularity, Warwicks are less desirable (secondhand prices drop stupidly low - good for me!) but my guess is that warwick still were selling a fair few basses... but the core values of the brand... and back then the tread I think seemed to suggest dropping the number made and making them more exclusive and developing rockbass at lower price bands..... and viola! Then think, what do we have that stands out, well we are in the most ecologically conscious and technologically highly advanced society around, why not build machines that can produce our basses with a better consistency to any mexicans in america that FMIC employ, and then lets use happy wood from happy forests.....
and there you go :)

Still want a thumb NT :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1343034291' post='1743915']
Was he surrounded by 5 guys telling him how awesome it looked, despite it looking like everybody else's?
[/quote]

Oh yes, and he was slapping the jesus out of it.

I think it was a shortscale, however.

I've been off the forums for a while. Last time I checked, people were going nutz for the (then new) MusicMan Bongos. I thought it was MM's social experiment to see if they could get bass players yet another step closer to buying and playing an actual toilet seat.

Anyways, have the Bongo players realized that they are part of this experiment? Have they hidden/retired/traded off their Bongos? Maybe they are the coolest thing right now? Maybe I'll check back in a couple more years.

[quote name='SlabPro4' timestamp='1343203978' post='1746841']
I've been off the forums for a while. Last time I checked, people were going nutz for the (then new) MusicMan Bongos. I thought it was MM's social experiment to see if they could get bass players yet another step closer to buying and playing an actual toilet seat.

Anyways, have the Bongo players realized that they are part of this experiment? Have they hidden/retired/traded off their Bongos? Maybe they are the coolest thing right now? Maybe I'll check back in a couple more years.
[/quote]

Took me 4-5 years to try one, loved it, ordered one immediately. Weird shape, cool ergonomics, brilliant bass.