Why become a member? ×

What are really unfashionable at the moment?

Mr. Foxen

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1342074255' post='1728991']
It's been done for years, I don't get this, the only thing it rules out are reading gigs, everthing else is doable, from weddings to festivals and stadium concerts. So it's not nessessary is it.
[/quote]

Fair enough, it just seems like a few people here are trying to promote ignorance. I struggle to read music or to fish out mouldy old bits of music theory from the back of my brain in order to try and play something different, but it's not something I'm proud of. :(

I'm just always surprised when people stand up and loudly say "I'm a musical thicko and you should be too..... and your expensive bass is *****, mate!"

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1342080779' post='1729066']
I'm just always surprised when people stand up and loudly say "I'm a musical thicko and you should be too..... and your expensive bass is *****, mate!"
[/quote]

Seriously , does anyone really do that?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1342075795' post='1729001']
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Buffalo Bill is modelling it

[/quote]

Haha. :lol:

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"It puts the Washburn around it's neck. It does this whenever it is told."
"Mister... my family will pay cash. Whatever ransom you're askin' for, they pay it."[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"It puts the Washburn around it's neck. or else it gets the hose again."[/font][/size]

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1341744048' post='1723373']
Fretless basses full stop, if the current output of the major manufacturers is anything to go by.
[/quote]

I have a fretless Status - does the double negative coolness-factor make it actually cool..? :huh:

[attachment=113013:DSC02422.JPG]

I also have a Status that doesn't look like a 'typical' Status, does the fact that it has a Status logo make it uncool? :blink:

[attachment=113014:IMG_01803.JPG]

PS: I am not a King fan and do not slap. :)

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1342091676' post='1729340']
In the unfashionability stakes, this must be right up there:

[attachment=112920:Pirat.jpg]
Fokus Pirat
[/quote]

...for some bizarre reason :P

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1304674017' post='1222017']

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, Warwick and Status aren't likely to get any ground back...their 'cool-ish' time was eons ago.

Not saying they are bad basses particuarly but are the most cliched.
What I like about Status is the graphite neck but the rest kills all that.

IMO, Warwick never recovered from dumbing down the brand with cheap versions.
[/quote]

:lol:
Someone said of me recently;

"Cool waits downstairs talking to Alex's mum whilst it waits for him to wake up so they can go out and play"
(actually true!)

I guess no-one told them about the Streamer, Infinity, Fortress and Streamline! :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1304674017' post='1222017']
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, Warwick and Status aren't likely to get any ground back...their 'cool-ish' time was eons ago.

Not saying they are bad basses particuarly but are the most cliched.
What I like about Status is the graphite neck but the rest kills all that.

IMO, Warwick never recovered from dumbing down the brand with cheap versions.
[/quote]

Well not so much the cheap versions- they have rockbass and foreign made ones for that now, but more the not so good versions that got made.

I haven't read this thread for ages and look again today only to find that Status are still unfashionable....damn it! :rolleyes:

P.S. I don't play slap, am not particularly a Mark King fan and am not in the midst of a mid life crisis (to my knowledge :unsure:).

Edited by gazhowe

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1342180603' post='1730944']
I also have a Status that doesn't look like a 'typical' Status, does the fact that it has a Status logo make it uncool? :blink:

[attachment=113014:IMG_01803.JPG]
[/quote]

I dunno. That is definitely cool in my book and I normally despise the things!

[quote name='gazhowe' timestamp='1342637035' post='1738502']
I haven't read this thread for ages and look again today only to find that Status are still unfashionable....damn it! :rolleyes:

P.S. I don't play slap, am not particularly a Mark King fan and am not in the midst of a mid life crisis (to my knowledge :unsure:).
[/quote]

No need to worry, your Status and Warwick are balanced by the Stingray.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1342091676' post='1729340']
In the unfashionability stakes, this must be right up there:

[attachment=112920:Pirat.jpg]
Fokus Pirat
[/quote]
That looks like someone ate a Warwick whole and then crapped it out on the stage! :D

I tend to agree that Status have become uncool. The never ending Kingbass with minimal tweaks (seemingly one every 2-3 years) has done it for me. 8 models which are minimally different and all the differences are options anyway. Build a new all graphite B1 (buzzard derivative) or I'm not interested. Whilst Mark King seems to have kept them in work for the last decade, it's got to stop soon doesn't it? Let's face it, Level 42 aren't nor were they ever cool after 1985.

I would imagine Rickenbacker are getting into the uncool territory with their relentless pursuit of people trying to sell copies. I wonder how much goodwill has been lost on this site because of that. This is of course aside from the fact that their instruments are badly designed and trading on reputation. At least, in my opinion. They're £600 basses, not £1700 basses.

I tend to find Fenders a bit meh, but then again I don't like passive basses so I'm biased.

Well, Fender basses are most certainly fashionable.

I watched some of the T in the park highlights on the box last night, I saw maybe the first 7 or 8 bands and [b]every[/b] one of them was using a Fender bass. Mostly Jazzes, although there were a couple of precisions.

Gretsch guitars seem to be overly popular these days too.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1342865562' post='1741975']

I watched some of the T in the park highlights on the box last night, I saw maybe the first 7 or 8 bands and [b]every[/b] one of them was using a Fender bass. Mostly Jazzes, although there were a couple of precisions.
[/quote]

I saw a guy playing a SUB... with the original p/g. O_o

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1342865562' post='1741975']

Gretsch guitars seem to be overly popular these days too.
[/quote]

They have a very aggressive artist endorsement programme.