Why become a member? ×

What are really unfashionable at the moment?

Mr. Foxen

I am going to represent youth here and say that from all the guitarists & bassists i know,

It seems Fenders / Gibsons are obviously timeless, so they can't really be put in fashionable / non fashionable, but at the same time you cant really put guitars / basses into fashion terms... its more about function...

I see a lot more classic shapes / colours popping up amongst musicians
especially those early 50's and 60's basses,

It seems though as stated before, brands like warwick and spector are less seen and less loved,

Its mostly about respect, in the world of musicians, Brands like Ibanez i often see, but in terms of fashion, you dont get the same respect for owning one, as say a Fender
Theres so much stigma with the brand of instrument you buy these days from other musicians, If you buy an Ibanez usually youre instantly seen as a Metalhead, :)
But to be fair half the time its probably about right.

Basically The Make defines what bracket of Genre / Music people assume you're into, which shouldnt be the case, but sadly it is, as people have a lot more choice these days of the instrument they buy, It used to be about what you could afford or what your local store sold, once again the Internet has ruined everything. :)

[quote name='gjones' post='1219300' date='May 3 2011, 10:36 PM']I think Steinberger headless basses will soon be making a comeback worn right up under your chin. The sleeves of your jacket rolled up obligatory (mullet optional).[/quote]
:) :) :lol:

Had to chuckle at that one!!

Edited by Wilco

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1219151' date='May 3 2011, 08:44 PM']Wondering what basses are totally out of fashion...[/quote]
What a great question. :lol:

I'm wracking my brain cell. Maybe pointy headed Charvels and the like :) I'm only saying that because you hardly ever see them played live.

Bootsy's Space Bass? :)

[quote name='gjones' post='1219300' date='May 3 2011, 10:36 PM']I think Steinberger headless basses will soon be making a comeback worn right up under your chin. The sleeves of your jacket rolled up obligatory (mullet optional).[/quote]

I doubt it. You won't be seeing those going cheap again. I remember when Wal basses were considered naff and sold for feck all because they were so outdated and unfashionable. Of course, they've been rediscovered now and they'll probably never be there again, especially since they have been elevated to near mythical levels of repute!

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1219394' date='May 4 2011, 12:44 AM']He's out of business, they're all collectors items now.

And the quality keeps going up with the price.[/quote]

He might be a crazy old hippy who never sleeps, but he is still very much in business. I keep getting messages with his latest creations. His greatest work yet is [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bass-Fretless-4-String-Maple-Free-Form-Wishbass-/130514294327?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e63421637"]on ebay right now.[/url] It is a Wish style neck, glued to a randomly shaped piece of wood, totally impractical for making a bass from. Amazing.

Have to say Charvels. Pointless ugly things.
And Explorers. Was at a german fest on sat and one band was doing the Hives thing with colour co-ordinated black and white Gibsons, I looked around at all the blokes I was with and just said "explorer" and they all shook their heads muttering about thin tone and crap looks.
Also Crocs. quite rightly as when the grip wears off they are a liability in a wet bathroom.(apparently)
:)