Why become a member? ×

What's the best bit of kit you've ever bought?

Len_derby

Can I say my current rig? :)

Seriously, best purchase / acquisition was the SansAmp Para Driver, has really surprised me with its versatility, and has made my passive Ibanez sound huge! If I had to get another one, I'd get the RPM which is the rack mounting version of the pedal.

Also, I'd say the Ibanez is my best loved and played bass, out of the three I've had, I've had the Ibby longest (my first bass too) and it's really easy to mod too. I've been toying with the idea of getting another like it and changing out the pups for a Duncan Classic and a Hot Stack in the bridge position :)

I think I've got my rig to the point where I'm really happy with it. Gets me there and looks cool to boot! Look on the guitarists' faces when I turn up with four, yes [i]four[/i], cabs is priceless!

Ian

My Peavey Databass amp. I bought it second hand about 15 years ago. It's just had it's second replacement BW speaker in it - the old one having worn out the stranded wires from the connectors down to the coil. It is light enough to carry around, small enough to pop into the car boot, and at 450W loud enough for any gig I've ever done (and never had the master volume above half way).

A fabulous amp that has paid for itself time and time again.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='1216685' date='May 1 2011, 05:02 PM']The mic stand mounted drink sholder is a must for me[/quote]

Is that the one you cry on when you've had one too many? :)

Comic typos aside, for me it's Venom cables - never ever had one fail! - and the fretless custom Stingray I got from Phil Mann. Luvverly! If only it had 5 strings....!

Edited by Netballman

[quote name='Norris' post='1218507' date='May 3 2011, 12:45 PM']My Peavey Databass amp. I bought it second hand about 15 years ago. It's just had it's second replacement BW speaker in it - the old one having worn out the stranded wires from the connectors down to the coil. It is light enough to carry around, small enough to pop into the car boot, and at 450W loud enough for any gig I've ever done (and never had the master volume above half way).

A fabulous amp that has paid for itself time and time again.[/quote]

Flippin heck Norris, if that's you in your avvie and you've had the Peavey 15 years ago you must only have been about 3 when you bought it. :) :) :lol:

Easy - First bass - an Aria Pro II, the all important purchase that started the ball rolling.

Probably my most useful gadget is my Zoom H2 for recording band praccy's - helps with new songs, great quality 'off the cuff' recordings.

[quote name='Graham56' post='1214792' date='Apr 29 2011, 12:41 PM']My custom-fitted earplugs. They work brilliantly and make the gigs much more enjoyable. I don't go home with ringing ears any more - and it means I'll be able to carry on doing this for years to come.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='chris_b' post='1214815' date='Apr 29 2011, 01:00 PM']My moulded ER15 ear plugs. Without them I'd have had to quit 5 years ago.[/quote]

+2

[quote name='martindupras' post='1215465' date='Apr 30 2011, 02:00 AM']For me, it has to be my Etymotic ER9 ear plugs. (I saw that two others also put that as their choice.)

I would like to put a honorable mention for my Sonic Research ST-200 pedal tuner.[/quote]

+3

Be a tough call, but I'd always choose to play in tune & not damage my ears.

So custom fitter ER15s + honourable mention to the trusty BOSS TU-2.

Two lightweight Purple Chili 12" cabs. Snuck in before the rising neo prices that seem to have halted production... and my back thanks me for it. Watching me inch a 410 Ashdown combo up and down the metal staircase to my flat, in the dark, in the rain, you could say they have saved me from inevitable serious injury.

Mini Disc recorder for recording all band practises. Also, compared to using cassette in the 90's, moving over to mini disc where you could wipe what you just recorded and edit, it was a god send. Plus the quality was so much better than a tape recorder. I have so many recording of rehearsals converted now as MP3's. It has been a lifesaver. I am now upgrading to a Tascam DM7 Mk II which I have used and is far superior to the mini disc recorder.

For reinvigorating my enthusiasm for the music I love and for moving me into circles where the music is richer and better

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93958&st=0&start=0"]Bilbo's Double Bass[/url]

For helping me massivley with my composing (which has become more important to me than my playing)

[url="http://www.sibelius.com/home/index_flash.html"]Sibelius[/url]

For helping me record some of my ideas and subsequently get an audio recording qualification

[url="http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/cubase6_start.html"]Cubase[/url]

[quote name='Rayman' post='1216713' date='May 1 2011, 05:44 PM']and here's the proof.....

[/quote]

Although my mic stand got knocked on Saturday spilling my drink over my pedal. I had to carry on playing while trying to upright the stand and try and save my pedal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey boys and girls.

Im wondering what's the best software you've ever bought. Same kind of thinking?
Has anyone tried Musicked double bass software? And last week some brought out an app for the iPhone called "idouble bass"
Please let me know?

Links:http://idoublebass.com/iDouble_Bass/iDouble_Bass_Home.html
musicked.com/musicked/pages/.../Double-Bass-lessons.htm

Straplok bass guitar strap bought way back in 1989 with my Warwick Thumb.
Still have both to this day and that strap has probably saved the Thumb from dropping on many occasions.
Tried other straps but they kept stretching and falling off the button.
Haven't managed to locate the correct straploks for this bass even on BC.

Dave

Used Barefaced Big One - cheaper than the components it contained. Finally a bass cab that does the business for tone and volume.

After that my G&L SB1, saved me a lot of money as it removed GAS for 20 years or so, until the object of my youth's desire appeared (bass, not other woman).

Uber best bit of kit - a dishwasher, essential for any relationship :)

Edited by 3below