Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to SansAmp Bass Driver DI?

AinsleyWalker

Another plus verdict on the Behringer!

£30ish. Buy one, if you like it, it may be worth trying out the Sansamp, however there really isn`t that much difference between them sound-wise. Build quality however, the Sansamp is much better. This doesn`t mean the Behringer is bad, by the way, it`s just that the Sansamp is much better, in this respect. I`m quite happy with my Behringer - to the point where I sold my Sansamp, found that I didn`t need it.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1214014' date='Apr 28 2011, 05:57 PM']MXR M-80. Cheaper, but with a seperately switchable distortion channel and a 3 band EQ which actually gives you control over your mids, unlike the Sansamp. Not as cheap as the Behringer though, so if you like the stock Sansamp sound, but don't want the price tag, go for that.[/quote]

+1, these are brill. I picked one up used with the original box for £80. Built like a tank, plus it can be powered by phantom power from a desk. They occasionally pop up in the 'for sale' section on here.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1214155' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:21 PM']Also made by Tech 21, same as the SansAmp, is the VT Bass. Also worth a look in, and they tend to sell for around £90 used[/quote]
+1
The VT Bass replaced the BDDI with ease for me, much more flexible and to me greater tones allround - the BDDI is great but the VT Bass is awesome IMO. Mind, if you require a DI you need to go for the VT Deluxe though.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1214014' date='Apr 28 2011, 05:57 PM']MXR M-80. Cheaper, but with a seperately switchable distortion channel and a 3 band EQ which actually gives you control over your mids, unlike the Sansamp. Not as cheap as the Behringer though, so if you like the stock Sansamp sound, but don't want the price tag, go for that.[/quote]

+1. Got one off here and am really pleased with the tone. Lots of control.

Here's a list off the top of my head.

Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Sansamp programmable Bass Driver DI
Sansamp programmable Bass Driver DI Deluxe
Sansamp VT Bass Deluxe
Behringer BDI-21
Aguilar Tone Hammer
SFX m:D2
SFX m:D4
MXR M-80
EHX Bass Metaphors
Hartke Bass Attack VXL
Seymour Duncan Paranormal
Radial Bassbone
EBS Microbass 2

Feel free to add any I may have missed.

• 3 weeks later...

if you want something thing that will last long and you don't have to worry about if you are buying second hand.. it's either the sansamp or mxr80.. all the rest are not built as well to last.. A mate of mine destroys everything and he still has his sansamp after 10years..

It's made like a brick and both sound great.. you should try both

Ive had a BDI21 for about 4 years. Admittedly its not been used every week throughout that time so i cant say how it would up to regular gigging. I tended to just have it sitting on the top of my amp, on all the time so i think it would last quite a while.

As it happens i do now have a BDDI and tone wise the two are very close, if anything i prefer the BDI21 for at home but the BDDI seems a bit more meatier at gigs.

I'm using the sansamp at the minute and loving the tone alothough I would like to upgrade to the version with the extra button as I wanted this one for a boost but end up leaving the pedal on pretty much all the time because the tone is so tasty :)

I started with the Behringer BDI121, I liked it...for a while, I then got the Hartke VXL, which I also liked.....for a while. Last year I bt the bullet, and bought a new shiney Sansamp BDdi......And I love it.

Personally I think its more flexible than both the Hartke and Behringer.

I did find it took a while to get my favoured tone, but if you can stretch to it.....go for it!

I've got a Sansamp Programmable DBBI that I'm getting increasingly fed up with. I'm beginning to dislike the mid scoop.

I'm looking at alternatives at the moment, I've narrowed it down to:

MXR M80
DHA VT2

but also looking into:

Radial Bassbone
EBS MicroBass II

A couple of days back I took delivery of a MXR M80, second hand off ebay.

Very impressed so far, although I guess the acid test will be gigging it.

Build quality seems very good and experimenting with the pre amp at bedroom rocker levels produces some very pleasing results.